SEASON 504- Music as an empathetic friend

My biggest sympathy goes out to those who have absolutely zero control over domestic violence, those who witness It through a child's eyes because this will remain with them and affect them for a lifetime .

This choice of song Is totally money motivated and I just like playing It..........

Personally I think it was indeed Michelle Shocked who wrote Liz, Berni. I’ve been doing some research on her and she’s a class 1 jerk (I’m using a nice word). And you may notice there are ZERO covers of her music on YouTube - she clearly has a mission to eradicate such offenses to her greatness. Btw her real name is Karen Johnston, which seems about right. Her nasty note to Liz has got my hackles up - one of these days I’m going to troll her ass in a big way.
Well that's her off my Xmas Card list 😜😁

Hi again, Dave, it’s been quite a while since I’ve done an original song but I woke early this morning with this tune swirling around in my head. I’ve danced all my life, but have let that slip away in recent times. Life has been both wonderful and sorrowful of late, so I think it’s time to dance this dance. Music is, indeed, an empathetic friend. I hope my fellow seasonista out there who is suffering might sway along.

Sorrowful Waltz
Liz Brinker

Hello everyone,

Music is very therapeutic for me. This little instrumental from Carulli gives me the right mix of sadness, yearning, and hope that often gets me through difficult times.

Thanks for hosting, and for giving to a great cause. So much is sad and broken in the world.

Bird brain checking in and happy to see more songs! I have a date with an owl but will cut it short so I can get home and watch -keep em coming gang!!!

Hello everyone!
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, which should clue you in to what the title means here. I would like us to make a playlist for survivors of domestic violence this week in support of the programs offered through the Sonoma County YWCA. For every song that you folks play, Melissa and I will donate a dollar to this vital program. One of our Ukulele friends here has also donated a few instruments for the Safe House which is so awesome!

I really like the idea of telling you why you are playing rather than what to play for this go round, so song choice is up to you (and I am excited to hear what you pick), with a small caveat. The title for the theme comes from an article I read a few weeks ago when this was hatching in my head about music as a therapeutic aid for survivors of domestic violence. In the article, the author stated that she instructs patients to start with a handful of songs when creating their playlists, ones that reflect their mental state, and then decide how they would like to change their mental state. With that change in mind she has them continue to add songs that will help them make that change- you all get the idea right? We have been doing just that for 504 weeks :)

All parameters are otherwise the same, as handed down by the Ancient Seasonista's. Uke front and center, no song limit, and be sure you take one last trip down the aisles in season 503! Also keep in mind your host likes to hear WHY you have chosen to play a song so if you are so inclined, by all means lets have a chat.
All right- bless up, I will see you all tomorrow (and Let's Go Giants!!!), I think that is it for now
-TCK

Season 504 Sing-a-long is HERE
Surprised no-one's covered Delilah - that inexplicably popular paean to domestic violence - but still. Here's one of two from me. This one about being not in a good place, the second (hopefully) more hopeful.

Wow folks- what a great day so far. Gotta say, loving all the laying it bare and originals and feels that are dropping around here, and I am thankful to have you fine people around to jump in and get things done! Anyway- lots more time to amaze me- here is what I have written on the Youtubes for today (so far)!

Mythinformed- Wow Mark- you really went for it today! Good on ya! This first one for starters, love the sentiment here and it is certainly working itself into a nice melody- Does not need to be anywhere near perfect for me, I rather like it just how it is- Thanks for playing this one for us.
Part Two- Not gonna lie, wanna get my attention (I mean aside from simply producing a shiny bauble of some sort?), play me a Bonnie Tyler song. I love her soooo much! Nicely delivered- man I wish I could pick out melodies like that. Excellent choice for the season as well- was wondering when it would get here.
Part Three- Another beautiful tune that is making me jealous with the picking. I am happily throwing those dollars in the can, thank you for these today!
Part Four- and the classic! This song, I believe, appears on every survivors playlist I could find (which I researched before posting so I knew folks would have a load of sources for ideas). Just lovely- really love the sound you are getting from your instrument and your set up there...but too distracted by the feeling this one creates as an instrumental. Humming along. Thanks again for really getting it done today for the cause mate.

Liz- Welcome back! What do I say here? This is remarkable...just stunning. Not worried that the sorrow is just dripping off it, as it captures exactly what I figured this season might conjure. Got me thinking too...we could likely do a season about what we all have had to give up over the last year and what we hope to get back...as well as what we are never going to get back, but here I go down the rabbit hole (as I tend to). Really incredible song here, thank you for sharing it with us.

EngraverTom- Indeed, so much is broken and sad in the world right now. I too use that little Uke to get me through the worst of it, and love the way you described this piece. The right mix of sadness, yearning, and hope. I do think you have captured exactly that here, and done so expertly. Thank you for playing this for us.

Pauly! First, thanks for coming to this one old friend...now on to my god man! Don’t get me wrong, this is a perfect choice for the season, one that had to be sad by definition...and this is about as sad as it gets. Ah, but I often like those songs more than others. This really truly hitting me right in the feels- excellent choice, delivery, and all the Paul. I feel like I should know the original but I don’t..Thanks so much for playing this one for us.

Hopefully I can catch up on at least some songs this week. I have watched a few but haven’t commented. Everyone always does so good.
I see that mines already on the list which is strange because I don’t think I’ve posted it, LOL
Here it is hopefully not a repeat!
Goodbye Earl

here's a little homemade-y for the season

the inspiration for this is that it's a song for anyone going through a tough time... i'm not actually sure better times do always come, but it really helps to focus on the possibility that they might, as you try and get through the present horribleness

Last edited:
Here's a cover of a heart-rending song about domestic violence, Voices Carry. Hopefully I will have time today to post something else at the opposite end of the spectrum which is a little more upbeat!

Wow folks- what a great day so far. Gotta say, loving all the laying it bare and originals and feels that are dropping around here, and I am thankful to have you fine people around to jump in and get things done! Anyway- lots more time to amaze me- here is what I have written on the Youtubes for today (so far)!
Pauly! First, thanks for coming to this one old friend...now on to my god man! Don’t get me wrong, this is a perfect choice for the season, one that had to be sad by definition...and this is about as sad as it gets. Ah, but I often like those songs more than others. This really truly hitting me right in the feels- excellent choice, delivery, and all the Paul. I feel like I should know the original but I don’t..Thanks so much for playing this one for us.
Thanks for the kind word, especially "I feel like I should know the original..." Well, you do, actually. It's one of mine :)
As promised here's the up side (written by you-know-who - not by me!).

Hey, Dave. Thanks for hosting what has been an incredibly moving and emotional season.
Here's my dollar's worth. A Babybird song that offers some hope and love in the very darkest of moments.

X

One and done, warts and all. I just like this song and wanted to empty Dave's coffer of one more dollar. And Pepsi says hi.

Top Bottom