Season 505 - S-P-E-L-L-I-T-O-U-T

pabrizzer

Season of the Ukulele 505
S P E L L I T O U T
Think Van Morrison's G L O R I A or Aretha Franklin's R E S P E C T and you've got it.
Marc brought Todd Snider's B double E double R U N to a recent season which was new to me that would also fit right in.
There ain't a lot out there but bring as many as you want. More than one version of the same song is always interesting.
Write your own.
Bring 'em when they're ready but it's all over when it is no longer Sunday the 24th of October in Hawaii.
PLAYLIST

Last edited:

LimousinLil

UU VIP
UU VIP
G O S H ! ! ! Now this sounds interesting and challenging ... and for the moment I cannot think of one song; nice one, Brian!

Yukio

Cheese and Onions (by The Ruttles) is a good one because they even ask the lyrical question, "Do I have to spell it out?.....(C-H-E-E-S-E-A-N-D-O-N-I-O-N-S....Oh, no!")

Charley B

I-H-A-T-E-Y-O-U
a song from Alice Cooper's latest album Detroit Stories

(it's not quite the song you may at first take it for, as 'Alice' explains in this video:
)

Flatbaroque

Thanks for hosting Brian. I was happy to find this Bobbie Gentry song. Was the B side to Ode to Billy Joe.
Besides the spelling bit it contains a lot of region specific language. Most of which makes sense. But there are a couple of lines which I think are just sounds eg.
"Fidderliss-farce-nickory-john-queery-quan"..mean anything to anyone? Nothing on the net.

YorkSteve

I'm not a staff member really...
Staff member
UU VIP
This one didn't make it into that jumbo list which Val unearthed.
It contains possibly the least likely word to be spelled out in a song - Perspective - and was a bit of a hit for Aztec Camera in 1988.

Jim Yates

Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother - Ray Wylie Hubbard​

I was torn between "Here we are in Texas" and "Haggard", but I wanted to use "T-bird", so I couldn't put "Texas" there.

I chose "I'd rather step in shit than smoke it" for the bumper sticker over "Goat roper needs love too" or "I'd rather be a roper than a doper" or "Hell yes I'm drunk". . .

Ray Wylie tells the story of how he wrote Up Against The Wall. . . Ray Wylie explains the origins of "Up Against The Wall. . ."

Last edited:

Jim Yates

D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Bobby Braddock, Curly Putman & Billy Connolly

When I was in Grade five, our teacher, Mr. Sanderson, would assign each of us the job of entertaining the class for a few minutes when we had a class party. I recall playing my accordion with Ken Laidman, who played steel guitar. I believe we played "That's Amore". You gotta love an accordion/lap-steel duo.

In 1970, I was teaching at a country school just south of Roseneath, Ontario and just north of the Alderville First Nations. The kids expected a Christmas party and I used Mr. Sanderson's idea and assigned each kid a block of time to entertain us. Some kids told stories, some told jokes, some got a skit together, one did magic tricks, one did some yoyo stunts, but I always remember Yvonne, who asked me to play the guitar while she sang some country songs. I was not a country fan at the time and had to learn the songs from her cassette. Imagine a 10 or 11 year old girl singing Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger When You Go Out At Night and D.I.V.O.R.C.E.

D.I.V.O.R.C.E.
is a song written by Bobby Braddock and Curly Putman, and recorded by country star Tammy Wynette.

I am a big fan of Billy Conolly and here is his re-write of the Tammy Wynette hit.

cazteclo

Ahoy all.
I have been quite busy with work lately and I have been learning to play a new, but difficult, instrument (I am experimenting with being a bad violin player)
I thought of two songs that could fit this theme and here is one of them:

CeeJay

Ahoy all.
I have been quite busy with work lately and I have been learning to play a new, but difficult, instrument (I am experimenting with being a bad violin player)
I thought of two songs that could fit this theme and here is one of them:
When it comes to bad violin playing ,I'll be your Huckleberry !! LOL 😂

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Hi Pa! Interesting challenge!

It turns out there's more of these than I realised. I found this one on a list on the internet, although surprisingly I didn't find it on Val's long list. It's called L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N. and it's by Noah and the Whale:

I know exactly one song by Noah and the Whale, and unfortunately this isn't it. So if this is not how it's supposed to go, well, I suppose that's just because this is the way I do it. There will be no refunds. My apologies to songwriter Charlie Fink... I did rather like it when I first listened to it earlier though (also the copyright claim bot seems to have recognised it, which I always find reassuring, to be honest).

By the way, there's a Pulp song that fits that I'd really like to hear this week, but there's no way I'll get anywhere near it, so, just in case anyone needs inspiration...

UkeFoote

Shonen Knife's "S.P.A.M." for concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass, secondary vocal, and stylophone-controlled synthesizer. Gomen nasai for the Japanese singing... I'm sure I did a terrible job on my pronunciation - native speakers have a laugh on me!

thanks for hosting, brizzer!

greyghost

Here's the first one that occurred to me--I remember this one from my teen years (the early days of MTV). I've been told this spells out something rude--I don't hear it..... A little ditty from April Wine called "If You See Kay."

pabrizzer

huge THANK YOU for the FAB brings so far!
i previously thought these songs to be kinda corny - but you have made me rethink that thought

i am adding to the playlist as i go - let me know if someone gets forgotten please