Season 506-Now, THAT'S scary...

Voran

Talking of misunderstanding, I should write one about linguistics...I speak some Russian and the number of things that can go wrong when you're tired and trying to speak another language...

chris667

OK, here's mine.

Years and years ago, I had a girlfriend who was terrified of moths, to the point where she was scared of a top I used to own that had a moth printed on it.

It didn't work out for other reasons, but still. Are moths really that terrifying?

This song was originally performed and written by Helen Mccookerybook.

I was playing with a new microphone and I haven't quite worked it out yet, so apologies for the audio.

Voran

OK, here's mine.

Years and years ago, I had a girlfriend who was terrified of moths, to the point where she was scared of a top I used to own that had a moth printed on it.

It didn't work out for other reasons, but still. Are moths really that terrifying?

This song was originally performed and written by Helen Mccookerybook.
Odd you mentioned that. I absolutely love moths. I let moths walk on my face and step in my eyes. Ruined my savings buying exotic pet moths on the net during COVID. I still want one of those massive atlases.

Voran

IMG_20210720_040955.jpg

Here I am with one of my many pet moths. His name was DHT, short for dihydrotestosterone, because he was bouncy and reckless and a bit aggressive.

RAB11

Hi Liz!

Here's some nice teenage angst for you (a mother's greatest fear?)

Growing up I was continually told I was clever. Now that I've been knocking around the real world a little bit I'm not sure that's true, I just retain information really well and that can see you a long way in school.

Anyway. My parents, and my dad in particular, took it to heart and as a result had very big expectations for me as a result in terms of doing well in school and getting a good career at the end of it. I was sort of the golden child for them, made worse by my little brother being a rebel in ways I never thought I could be.

That pressure stayed with me until the other kids caught up and by the time it mattered, they were acclimatised to putting the effort in whilst I wasn't, and as a result didn't leave school with the glowing report that was expected of me. Couple other factors meant I never went to uni, never started out on a career path that would define my life. Moved out of my dad's place aged 21 and within a year was an expectant father. Clearly multiple failings on my part in the view of my dad but I muddled on, always fearful of coming to him with a problem unless I'd already found a solution though.

I'm now rapidly approaching 30, and the last 18 months-2 years have really realigned my priorities and I've started trying to live my life more the way I feel it suits me as opposed to what I feel will keep my dad off my back the most. And do you know what? He's been nothing but supportive and encouraging. So either he's grown up too or teenage me internalised a lot of unnecessary crap for far too long.

Anyway, here's a song that describes how I felt way back when I was terrified of letting dad down.

YorkSteve

I'm not a staff member really...
Staff member
UU VIP
I have done this song at least twice before, but it's such a perfect fit...

I am going down the same route as Flatbaroque John - it's heights. They never used to bother me. In my youth I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower a couple of times, and always looked for tall buildings which would give me a good view of wherever I was visiting. But a few years ago on a family holiday to Paris, my son wanted to do the Eiffel Tower, and I said I would go with him. We did get to the top, but the feeling going up the stairs on the last section was not a good one. And you know that famous picture of the workers building a skyscraper, eating their lunch sitting on a beam? I used to have that on my wall, but now it just makes me feel very uneasy. Even at lower levels, I don't like leaving the ground. Ask me to go up a ladder to paint a window frame and I'm straight on the phone to a decorator.

Anyway, this is by Antje Duvekot, a wonderful songwriter.

LimousinLil

UU VIP
UU VIP
Hello, Liz ... and many thanks for this challenging week! I am positively terrified of deadlines, as I am the world's worst procrastinator, so the title of this song seemed particularly appropriate to me. (There is a copyright claim on it, so I hope no adverts will appear!)

mythinformed

I can Identify with Lennon's fear of rejection that he carried since childhood and the Insecurities that come with it of not being 'good enough' . The most vocal and brash of the Beatles yet the most Insecure and self doubting of his musical capabilities.

Last edited:

Jim Yates

TRISCADECAPHOBIA - Bobby Troup

Hi Liz, I don't have triscadecaphobia (fear of the number 13), but my phobia, claustrophobia, is mentioned in this song. I can't sit in the back seat of a two door car and any nightmare I have is based on closed spaces. When I was a kid, I used to crawl into caves and often piled into the trunk of a car with as many kids as could fit to sneak into a drive-in movie. I sure couldn't do that now.
I learned this song from my first guitar hero, Jackie Washington. We lost Jackie at 90 years in 2009. I last saw him in 2007 at his 88th birthday party. I was lucky enough to get to hang with Jackie a bit before he passed and I still keep at least one of his CDs in the car.

Friday the 13th on a Thursday.jpg

Last edited:

elmann

I remember the fear of the dark as a child. "Die Ärzte" (The Doctors) recorded in 1984 a "lullaby" :devilish: for this. On YT postings you even find people, who did sing this themselves for their kids or remember their own parents.
Tried to do a close-by rhyming translation ...
Who's scary now?

lizbrinker

Well, I'm now officially spooked. So many thanks to the contributors of the last 24 hours: Edwin, Dave, Chris D, Ryan, Steve, Val, Mark C, Jim Y and Heinz! Here is a list of the fears we are facing today:

Telephones
Human beings
Moths
Parental disapproval
Heights
Deadlines
Rejection
The number 13(song topic), enclosed spaces (performer's actual fear)
The dark

Please do yourselves a big favor and go listen to the songs. I am continually impressed by what is found by one and all to fit each weekly theme. Now, if you need help identifying your very own fear, here is a list of phobias, common and not-so-common.
https://www.verywellmind.com/list-of-phobias-2795453

wee_ginga_yin

There are so many danger on the internet. Nigerian princes wanting to give away a million dollars, emails wanting you to confirm your password, popups that warn you have a virus, catfish links promising you love. Sometimes it is difficult to know what is real and what is fake and a trap.

ukudancer

I originally started working on this 4 days ago for r/ukulele's bi-weekly submission, but I kept adding things and learning new parts for it that it took me until now to finally put this thing together. You're literally watching me in different stages of learning this song in a span of about 96 hours from when I started to the time I finished.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure the fear of psycho killers is universal, so it seemed like a natural fit for this season.

TCK

TRISCADECAPHOBIA - Bobby Troup

Hi Liz, I don't have triscadecaphobia (fear of the number 13), but my phobia, claustrophobia, is mentioned in this song. I can't sit in the back seat of a two door car and any nightmare I have is based on closed spaces. When I was a kid, I used to crawl into caves and often piled into the trunk of a car with as many kids as could fit to sneak into a drive-in movie. I sure couldn't do that now.
I learned this song from my first guitar hero, Jackie Washington. We lost Jackie at 90 years in 2009. I last saw him in 2007 at his 88th birthday party. I was lucky enough to get to hang with Jackie a bit before he passed and I still keep one of his CDs in the car.

Great bring! I was born on Friday the 13th ;)