Season 506-Now, THAT'S scary...

bird's eye view of my ukelele

ok, second in line behind elmann, to bring a song about fear of the dark. in normal, wakeful life, it doesn't faze me. the lights go out in the evening, i find a torch, check the fusebox, and the mains switch, mebbe phone the power company to see if there is a local problem with supply, possibly break open the box of candles if there's gonna be a long wait, swear at myself for not having kept my laptop and phone charged up a bit more, blah blah blah, but it's all cool. however, in a DREAM, it's a whole different story. i switch on a light. it doesn't come on. the crazy nightmare begins!

TCK

Another day of thinking on the theme…this one is a great song I think.
as a child of the seventies and eighties, I remember living in constant fear that there were men who were in charge of buttons that could basically wipe entire countries entirely off the map. I don’t know if my friends felt the same way, but I remember hundreds of sleepless nights while
Bob Ross tried to ease me down wondering when and not if it the end of the line had arrived, as I saw these men as maniacs and not leaders. Anyway, we built bombs for a long time, and a lot of them, and I lost a lot of sleep. This song is not about the Cold War arms race, but it is a good one about WWII. It was written by Ben Nichols of Lucero, who can write them and deliver them with the best.
War scares the hell outta me still.

Jim Yates

Don't Fence Me In - Cole Porter

Hi Liz, This is a song that expresses my phobia about small, enclosed spaces.

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Not sure I'll get time to contribute a new song this week (we're harvesting olives in the allotment, preparing for my son and grandson's visit next week and I'm helping a friend with a translation... as well as keeping to my commitment with the local pensioners' rambling group).

As for the theme of this week, well I think I have already written THE song about my greatest fear, which, in case you missed it during SOTU 488, I'll post here, if our host has no objection:

However, all that said, I promise that if the inspiration takes me, I'll post a new one for Liz later in the week. 🤞

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Anyone remember "The Littlest Hobo"? Me neither. But I do know that it was about a dog that kept saving the day (original idea that) and I remember that it had one of the catchiest - not to mention one of the cheesiest - TV themes of the 70s and 80s. I'll tell you what scares me in a moment, but for now, here's me trying not to ruin it:

So anyway. Sorry folks. Dogs. I just can't be around them. I know a lot of you love them, and I always get looks of pity or attempts to fix me when I mention this (please don't do that), but if there's one in the room I'm really nervous. And if I see one when I'm out for a walk, I'll probably cower somewhere or at least stay as far away as I can get away with. If your dog comes running up to me and barking, please don't say "Don't worry he won't hurt you" as however true that might be, it won't be reassuring (especially not when one bit me once and the owner said "He's never done that before!". Thanks. I'm glad.) I'm a lot better than I used to be - apparently my mum was terrified that I'd jump into the path of an oncoming bus rather than be near a dog. I never did that.

If that horrifies you, well, there's another line in there: "There's a world that's waiting to unfold". That scares me too, and I think it's a rather more rational fear.

lizbrinker

It's October 26th for a few more hours here and we are edging ever closer to All Hallows' Eve...if that means anything to you. Some things in this life are scary enough, without there being a day to celebrate them. Many thanks to the contributors over the last day: Rob, ArvinCharles, Lynda, Brian C(Pa), Dave(TCK), Jim Y, Berni and Edwin! Here are the fears we are facing today:

Internet scams
Murderers
The dark
The future
War/total global annihilation
Enclosed spaces
Losing a partner
Dogs

At the end of the week I should make one of those quizzes we had in school where you have to match each seasonista with a fear...the one where you draw a long, diagonal line from the name to the fear. What do you think? Only those who've listened to the songs will get an A. There is some motivation for you, should you need it, to go and listen to these brilliant people. The songs may scare you, but the performances definitely won't.

Have you ever wondered why some people seek out situations that will induce fear? Here is an article from The Smithsonian Magazine that tries to explain this behavior, and what happens in the brain when we feel fear. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-happens-brain-feel-fear-180966992/

pabrizzer

back to the future
all our fears are really based on what might happen
i'm quite superstitious and kind of believe things i do or don't do might instigate or ward off scary or unwanted events

lizbrinker

I grew up in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, where tornadoes are a very real, very dangerous threat to home and health. Growing up, every time the weather warning signal came on the TV or radio, cold fear ran through me and I would have the urge to crawl under the bed or get in the closet where we would shelter during tornado warnings. So, when I first saw The Wizard Of Oz, the tornado scene was the most scary part to me. Not the flying monkeys, not the great and powerful Oz, not even ultra-scary Mrs. Gulch, who took Toto away...although she was so much scarier than her alter-ego, the wicked witch of the west, at least to me she was. I had a dog, a three-legged dog, but a dog, nonetheless. So, in this song Yip Harburg decided to use the word 'cyclone' instead of 'tornado', probably for metric reasons, but, strictly speaking, it was a tornado, since it formed over land and not over water. (Pedantry, again, sorry.)

Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Harold Arlen-Music
E.Y. (Yip) Harburg-Lyrics

greenie44

Big King Velour
UU VIP
When I first read the theme, I thought, oh, that's easy - being alone. But I reconsidered, since sometimes being alone is actually preferable. And even loneliness is not that scary. But what is really scary is when you are lucky enough to not be alone, and that person leaves. It's a gaping hole. I think humans go to enormous and sometimes twisted lengths to avoid this scary situation, but it still happens. This song is about that.

TCK

So today, I got to thinking…what things drive my anxiety and is that not the same as fear? I don’t like crowds (pandemic did not make that any better), I really don’t like not being in control (let someone else drive? Nope) and I cannot stand being cold.
Its pretty hard for me to get cold, as I don’t miss a lot of meals (again, zero improvement during the pandemic), and was wearing shorts today at 47 degrees while greeting my kids this morning…but the idea of being cold totally puts me in a tailspin. Fortunately I have not slept on a park bench or been denied shelter since I was a teenager, but I remember that feeling so well.
Anyway- a song about cold (and maybe death of folks are scared of that) that happens to be Melissa’s favorite.
Liz- apologies. Seems I am on a roll this week (first time in a while) and you might have to put of with more of me than you want. I now have a bit of a backlog…probably need to get out more. Great theme here.

mythinformed

I personally don't fear death at all but I do fear the Impact that grief will have on my life when much loved ones numbers are up and shuffle off this mortal coil ............

Jim Yates

More moths for me then. I'm breeding a bunch in here right now
A fellow goes into a podiatrist's office. The podiatrist asks the man to describe his symptoms.
The man says, "My friends say I'm delusional, but Doc, I'm convinced that I'm a moth."
"A moth?" says the Doc. "That is weird, but I am a podiatrist. I treat people with foot trouble. You need a psychiatrist. Why did you come in here?"
"Well, the light was on."

redpaul1

Despair is literally the absence of hope (désespoir). That's why it's a mortal sin.
This is a song about the fear(s) that desperation engenders.

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
I was thinking about the power of fear and how most social control is built on it. Today, for example, fear is behind both the pro-vaccine lobby (fear of getting the virus) and the anti-vaccine groupings (fear that there is something more sinister about the shots, or else the cure will be worse than the illness it aims to combat). Then, browsing on the internet I came, by chance, across the story of James Birney, who went from being a slave owner to being an abolitionist. I then read about a few others who came from the same background and ended up fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War. What one of these men said about not being able to live with a clear conscience when his wealth was based on the fear he had to instill into other human beings became the germ of this song.

I was originally planning to have two verses about different moments in history in which fear was used by a few to control the many and the last verse would show how the technique is still in use today. However, my narrator felt he deserved the entire song and in the end the details he "gifted" me convinced me he was right.

So, I hope you enjoy:

pabrizzer

recorded and uploaded by my phone - whose afraid of the big bad wolf?
it pays well for prey to be afraid of the predator

Last edited: