Season 506-Now, THAT'S scary...

graham, aka notanotherlinda here on the seasons, and bystander over on youtube, just did a very moving song on youtube, "empty eyes", about someone with dementia... i think that's a diagnosis, condition, and journey that we all fear, for ourselves and for our loved ones. inspired by graham's song, here's a homemade song from me on the same subject, for the season... "drifting"...

here is graham's song...

Last edited:

Jim Yates

Hang Me Oh Hang Me - I learned this song from the Dave Van Ronk, Folksinger LP that I got when I was in high school.
Another song about claustrophobia: I wouldn't mind the hangin', it's the layin' in the grave so long Poor Boy.
Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial was his most terrifying story to me. An episode of the TV show C.S.I. where a character named Nick is buried alive has caused me many nightmares.
This song may be stretching the point, but I like it and my brothers and I have been singing it for decades.

lizbrinker

Hello, all. It's October 27th for a few more hours here in Rockville, Maryland, USA and we have a whole new crop of fears to face today. First, I'd like to thank the contributors of the last...30 hours. I'm late today. Punctuality is one of my favorite traits, for myself, and for others, so, I hate to be late. Some might say I fear being late. The contributors, yes, that's where I was... Thank you to Brian C/Pa, Big King Velour, Dave/TCK, Mark C, RedPaul, Berni, Liz/cua94, Brian C/Pa again (he waited the requested 24 hours, I'm late), Lynda/BEVOMU and Jim Y! Scary topics, great songs, I'm telling you. Go listen. Go now. Don't be afraid...

Here are the fears we are wrestling today:

The future
Tornadoes
Abandonment/loss of a lover
The cold, or death
Loss of loved ones
Existential dread/despair
Fear used as a controlling tool
Falling in love
(brief intermission with a calming tune)
Dementia
Enclosed spaces/the grave

Tomorrow the one tune per day request is lifted, so, let's hear 'em. I'm not afraid.

Flatbaroque

The thought of ever going to prison scares me. If you don't like Lockdown...imagine Lockup. Video features some of my new mates I've made in retirement. Song is on *8 string tenor.

Last edited:

wee_ginga_yin

Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems

Epictetus

wee_ginga_yin

We all have our musical differences and styles, and if we are ever called apon to do a collaboration it is not very often in my case anyway that my weird ideas don't fit in with the other persons, especially if you are using a bottle, a hair brush and a sand paper block to augment their musical offering.

There is always the fear that they will not appreciate the tweeks you have made to their song. The fear of falling out. Having a disagreement over artistic differences. I have had more failed collaborations than successful ones.

This one is is a mixture of sad weird and joyful with a little bit of fun... what more could you ask from as song.

mountain goat

thank you for this week Liz. the longest and most haunting fear throughout my life has been and continues to be the fear of dying. this took root as a result of several events in my early childhood, was kept at bay for a number of years working in Christian ministry only to return w/ a vengeance over a decade of backsliding. ironically, witnessing the illness and ultimate death of my father on Dec 16, 2016 and subsequently, caring for my mother at home throughout this year until her passing on September 16 has somehow filled me w/ more than just a dreadful sense of grief and loss and so many other emotions I'm still trying to process. one of those is a strange and unexpected sense of hope and reassurance. if you asked me to explain that I'm not sure I could properly put it into words right now, but it's there and forcing me to question if not challenge a lifelong and debilitating fear.

RAB11

This song doesn't really have a title yet, I just wanted to write a song about my distaste for money.

I'm terrified of it. I don't like having too much of it, don't like not having enough and there is rarely a happy medium where all your needs are met. I hate that we're trained from a very young age to rely on it and believe that our sole purpose in life is to generate income for ourselves and others, and I hate that removing yourself from this system effectively ostracises you from society as a whole. So I've written a song about it.

A note on the actual composition because I know you like these things Liz. A good few months ago I watched a video on YouTube by a guy called Jared Dines where he showcased a bunch uncommonly-used scales and how they could be applied to metal music. I'm not really a metal head but it was a good watch to get some fresh ideas for chord progressions. One scale particularly stood out to me, which is what he called The Byzantine Scale. In A it's A, A#, C#, D, E, F and G#. Very quickly found it had some pleasing positions on the uke. Particularly on the E and A string where it makes a cool trail as you go up the fret board and also makes a sound that accurately describes the existential dread a feel around money. From there I worked out which chords used ONLY those notes, which are A, Amaj7, Asus4, A#, A#maj7, A#m, A#m7, C#, C#m and Dm. An interesting restriction with which to build a song, and here is said song, which I've finally put together this morning

I really need you to host seasons more often Liz. This is three times now that you've been the spur for me to finish a project. Or more accurately, turn a noodle into a song which then gets fully formed.

Marcsuke

SOTU 506 - "Dire Wolf," Grateful Dead (1970). Written by Robert Hunter after watching the movie "The Hound of The Baskervilles"on television with Jerry Garcia. They imagined the a great and menacing beast terrorizing the land of "Fennario" Garcia said he was also thinking about the "Zodiac Killer" who was murdering people in San Francisco at the time, thus the refrain "please don't murder me."

lizbrinker

Happy Thursday, everyone! It's October 28th for a few more hours here and things are getting more scary by the day. Many thanks to today's contributors: John/Flatbaroque, Rob(with Joo), Jon, Ryan, Marc, and Lynda (featuring a picture of Geoff and a horrifyingly scary doll) Here are the fears of the day:

Incarceration
Falling out with friends over musical collaboration
Death
Money/currency-centered civilization
Being murdered/murderers/wolves(?)
A horrifyingly scary doll

There are three more days to air your fears here on Season 506 of the ukulele. I am hoping to post one more, an original, but we shall see whether it is ready in time. Nary a clown song to be seen, alas. Who will be the one? Who? Who, I ask you? Please keep any and all songs about your fears coming my way, and please tell me in your description why you chose the song, or, to be completely clear, tell me what you fear. Also, if you post an original, I'd love to see the lyrics somewhere, either in your forum post or in your YouTube description. Lastly, please go to the playlist and have a listen through the songs. They are just fantastic and entertaining...and, a little scary. :- )

wee_ginga_yin

Now here is the thing Halloween is supposedly a special holiday for children and they are allowed to dress up as witches, demons, zombies, killer clowns for this one night of the year. The rest of the year their parents protect them from these very things by not allowing them to play violent video games , or watch scary movies on TV. The care and concern that is observed the rest of the year is let slip and the things that we try to protect children from on Halloween is actively encouraged. Seems a bit hypocritical. What's a kid to think? We fear these things for 364 days of the year yet on one day of the year we embrace them.

DelGriff

Thank you for hosting, Liz! :)
A double whammy here - two fears for the price of one. I am scared of horses. As a child, I saw my brother’s friend kicked unconscious by a particularly nervous horse when he rather naively ventured behind it. These things stay with us.
However, this song is actually about the fear of change - even if it might lead to something so much better. I’m sure we have all lived to regret opportunities we’ve passed on because we couldn’t be certain of the outcome. I’ve always tried imagine the level of regret I’d feel a week/month/year or more down the line if I didn’t grab a chance when it presented itself. :unsure:🙂

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Well Liz, you were looking for mentions of clowns, and here's a song that mentions them (sort of). I'm not scared of clowns myself - although I can see why one would be - so it's not really legitimate for me to post it for *that* reason. On the other hand, it also mentions being laughed at, and there's been plenty of times I've been reluctant to share an idea for fear of being laughed at. It's best not to worry about that sort of thing, since the people laughing probably just don't have enough imagination, but there you have it.

I don't have a flute so I did the ending on a concert uke instead.

LimousinLil

UU VIP
UU VIP
Hello again, Liz! I am really scared of roller coasters - nothing would persuade me to ride on one. I was interested to find that there is actually a name for this, which is, unsurprisingly, "Coasterphobia." The description of said phobia likens it to a fear of flying, but in my case, it is simply an intense dislike of the sensation of free-falling. There seem to be several roller-coaster-themed songs and this one comes from a Dutch singer/songwriter called Danny Vera ....

lizbrinker

It's late Friday evening, October 29, and there are two more days to air your fears, seasonistas. I'd like to thank today's participants: Rob/wee_ginga_yin, Christopher/Yukio, Del/DelGriff, Edwin/JTSteam, Val/LimousinLil, Ila (Welcome to SOTU, Ila!) and Brian C/Pabrizzer! The fears are piling up, folks. Here is what we are grappling with today:

Fear of:

The effect of horrifying Halloween imagery
Oneself
Horses
Change
Being laughed at
Roller coasters
Dying in battle
The effect of Xenophobia

Yes, we have a virtual smorgasbord of fears here this week. Surely, there are more hiding out there. Don't hold back on my account. I can take it. Who knows? Maybe it will help to put it out there. Did someone say clowns? No? Oh well, a girl can dream...