Season 506-Now, THAT'S scary...

lizbrinker

Reaction score
Hello, all you seasonistas out there! Welcome to Season 506-Now, THAT'S scary... It's the last week of October and my neighborhood is filling up with decorations of all sorts. Some are fun and festive, some are downright disturbing, if I'm honest. This week I'd like you to bring songs about what you fear. It can be the big things: death, loss of a partner, loss of a lover, loss of a parent or child, homelessness, hunger, natural disaster, etc. Or, it could be the other scary stuff: endless timeshare presentations, clowns, having bad breath, obnoxious co-workers, making unintentional grammar mistakes, etc. Of course, you could do the Halloween songs, but that's not really what interests me. The song needs to at least mention, in the the title or lyrics, the thing you fear. The Tears Of A Clown? Check. For me, anyway. Take Me Out To The Ballgame? Absolutely... (Crowds) In your post, please illuminate us as to your particular phobia or rational fear. We promise not to exploit it. Right, all? RIGHT???

I don't have an introductory video. I'll try to sing and play about something scary later in the week.

All usual rules apply: (and some new ones)
Have ukulele as one of the instruments in your video.
Posts will be accepted starting at 12am, Hawaii-time, on October 24.
Last songs should be posted no later than 11:59pm, Hawaii-time, on October 31.
Please list the season number and title somewhere, either in your YouTube description, or verbally, or in the YouTube title.
If you bring an original, I would love it if you would put the lyrics in your YouTube description, or, in your UU post.
One song per day, per customer, until Thursday, then open the flood gates. I'm noticing things slow down about then.
Collaborations, multi-tracking and choreography all strongly encouraged, unless choreography is, indeed, what you fear most.

Lastly, a possibly most-importantly, if you can manage the time, please watch and comment on the videos of others. There is no greater fear than going unnoticed. Honest and kind, is all I ask. Both of those.

Super-scary PLAYLIST will be here, once there is one.

I got a song about arachnophobia. I'll play it tomorrow, it's 4.20 in the morning right now.

Ahhhhh I get It so 'Fat Bottomed Girls' could be a fear of suffocation ? 🤔

This is a very thought-provoking theme, Liz, and, requires quite a bit of soul-searching!

Hi Liz. Thanks for the chance to explore our fears. I have a fairly unexotic one. Fear of heights. Not much of an issue for a sea level dwelling sedentary worker (formerly).
But there have been times on holidays when I've had to confront this. Trekking in the Himalayas , having to walk over narrow bamboo bridges with no handrails. I froze once on one...not in the Himalaya but in North Vietnam. A little kid helped me cross...haha.
Buses in the Andes in Peru following the cliff edges also got the heart beating. Seeing roadside altars where buses have gone over.
I think the worst one was a microlight flight over Victoria Falls in Zambia. They are like a hangglider with a propeller. You and the pilot. So glad to land. Didn't really appreciate the spectacular view I was so sheet scared:)
I get queasy seeing photos of people hanging over cliffs to get a stupid intstagram shot.
Anyway gave me an excuse to do a nice song.

integrity - it's demise on so many levels scares me
division - and those who deliberately incite it - also causes me some concern
bad harmonica notes are also pretty scary

make truth great agin

Drug addiction and homelessness often go hand in hand

How come your hanging ,with that low down bum
he`s just a user ,that steals from everyone
but he steals from you babe, from you the mostturnin you into, a living ghost

seen you out there, laughing in a bar
with the shadows that he runs with , all tattoos and scars
the scar that is deepest , is the one that stings the most
needle in your arm babe , your a living ghost

thought I saw you , by the bins of a hotel
your nails were black , and your clothes had begun to smell
Icalled your name you smiled, the girl I loved the most
the smile flickered and fled back, into the living ghost

a living ghost , some raggety clothes on a frame
a crazy painters canvas ,left in the wind and
rain
a living ghost , don`t feel no pain
a living ghost, such a shame..

The title says it all: "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" for concert ukulele with whistling and singing, with overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and tenor fuzz ukulele. Nina Simone performed the original; my rendition is based more on the Animals version. Thanks for hosting Liz!

Some context here: I wrote about arachnophobia, but I dramatized it a little bit: a spider on a bathroom ceiling, itself, is not very interesting or emotionally compelling. So I cast the spider as a hedonistic vampire figure in black leather and green eyeshadow...

Lyrics:
She comes out at night
To revel in the pounding bass and the whirling lights
She twists and reels on the dance floor on eight latex-glistening limbs

She is great and terrible
She hungers and must feed

She comes hunting for me
Methedrine driving her eight black leather-clad feet

She wears four sets of heels
Eight sharp stilettos, eight deadly hunting knives
Emerald green eyeshadow daubed around eight pitch-black eyes

She is great and terrible
She hungers and must feed

She comes hunting for me
Methedrine driving her eight black leather-clad feet

Last edited:
Many thanks to Charley, Brian C (Pa), John, Rob, Brian F and Voran for kicking off this week of fears and phobias. So far, the list of fears includes:

Loneliness
Hatred
Heights
Homelessness/addiction
Misunderstanding
Spiders

Nary a clown 🤡 to be found…hmmmmmm🤔
Could I be the only one? Don’t be afraid, fellow seasonistas. Join in.

Reactions: TCK
Hi Liz! Thanks for a thought provoking theme. Lots of big things scare me - the state of the world, the future, whether the planet will survive us, etc - and I have a genuine phobia that I'll have to decide whether I'm willing to share (I probably will, because there's some great songs that fit it...) but for now I'm going to go with something rather more frivolous.

Yes, I hate telephones. The thought that I'm interrupting someone, the fact that we don't have visual cues, etc etc. I'll go and walk to a restaurant and make a booking rather than have to ring them, and I'd probably email the fire brigade rather than ring 999 if there was a fire. Does that count as being scared? I'm going to say it does, because here's a song I wanted to do anyway where the chap manages to pick up the phone.

Okay, to be fair, I am also a little scared of getting so wrapped up in myself that I forget about friends and family... This could probably have used more time, but alas I ran out of it today.

Last edited:
Many thanks to Charley, Brian C (Pa), John, Rob, Brian F and Voran for kicking off this week of fears and phobias. So far, the list of fears includes:

Loneliness
Hatred
Heights
Homelessness/addiction
Misunderstanding
Spiders

I kind of want to be a clown when I grow up…

Loneliness
Hatred
Heights
Homelessness/addiction
Misunderstanding
Spiders

Sufjan Stevens has a song “ John Wayne Gacy Jr “… two fears for the price of one ..Clowns AND serial killers.

Sat and thought about this all day- not many songs written about having to sit in a restaurant facing the door in case something goes down (maybe I should write one) so I finally landed on something broader and entirely more scary. The thing I am most scared of is my species propensity for doing awful things to each other, to other species, and to the planet. Really, this is why I never had kids, and why I spend most of my life trying to teach other peoples kids to be better.
Anyway- in this song (it’s a punk song by Bad Religion), the narrator is anyone’s guess. Ancient hominids? Another race on another planet? A frustrated member of our own society? Who knows, but in the song they are clearly admonishing god for creating something so powerful and setting it free so recklessly. Giving it dominion over all things on the planet but yet no ability to realize the responsibility that comes with. Anyway- a song.

Top Bottom