Season 509 - ‘Water, water everywhere…’

DelGriff

Season 509 - Water, water everywhere…

A nice, simple theme this week, folks - water. Please perform any song with any connection in the lyrics or the title to water in any of its forms. And I’d love you to tell me in your posts why you’ve chosen the songs that you have.

Some may recognise this week’s theme title from the (very long) poem, “The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner”, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge - here it is in context:

“Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.”

This part of the poem describes the agony of sailors being desperately thirsty on a ship that cannot move due to lack of wind, and surrounded by water that is undrinkable (the sea).

There are people in this world today that face a similar dilemma. There are still places that do not have a supply of clean, fresh water for drinking or bathing. Parents who have to watch their children drinking dirty, contaminated water that they know may kill them because they have no other choice. And children who cannot be schooled because a large part of their day is spent fetching water from contaminated ponds, lakes and rivers for their families.

One of my favourite charities is WaterAid. See their website here. Their aim is to bring clean fresh water supplies to such communities all over the world. So for every song entry this week I will donate £1 to WaterAid. There is no song limit.

I will pick a favourite performance and send a personalised certificate by email to the winner.

Collaborations and other instruments are very welcome, but uke must be audible.

The season will run from 12.01am Sunday 14th November to 11.59pm Sunday 21st November - Hawaiian times.

Videos must be new for the Season, Rob being the only exception.

Please comment on each other’s songs on YouTube, and please be kind and constructive in what you say.

Playlist

Thank you all! :)

Last edited:

lizbrinker

What a worthy cause. This should be a rich theme with lots of entries, Del. Thank you for hosting! I can already think of several I’d like to do :- )

DelGriff

Thank you Liz! :)

And here I am invoking the host’s privilege of posting early for their own season. Everyone else will have to wait for Sunday to start in Hawaii!

This is one of my favourite songs by 80s legend Howard Jones - I saw him live several times at Hammersmith Odeon back in the day - wonderful memories! Just one word in the lyrics qualifies this song for the season - ‘rain’. It’s as simple as that! :)

Voran

Let me get a bit more sleep and I'll perform Wandering Albatross tomorrow :)

Charley B

is it foolhardy for someone like me to attempt this song? from the hauntingly angelic sound of Enya to the moaning and groaning of Charley Bowler! :LOL:
anyhow, come sail away with me along the rivers and seas in this song to go with this week's watery theme ...

wee_ginga_yin

I heard Jon Duncan do this song on Ukulele many moons ago and thought it was excellent.

YorkSteve

I'm not a staff member really...
Staff member
UU VIP
WaterAid is a charity I have supported for many years. They are one of the main organisations linked to the Glastonbury Festival, where I first came across them. When I failed to get a ticket in 2019, I applied to volunteer with them, maybe handing out bottles of water to exhausted moshers. I was accepted, but I had been allocated to the toilet cleaning team...Thankfully my application volunteer with Oxfam was also successful, with a much more pleasant job on the entrance gates.

Anyway, this week gives us a huge choice, including dozens of sea shanties. Here is one written by Krabbers, who many years ago was a regular Seasonista. I heard him do it at the Grand Northern Uke Festival a few years back, and it ticked all my daft song boxes.

Joko

How did I pick this song? Well, I was just scrolling through my iTunes, making a playlist of all the songs that had some reference to some form of water in the title... This one had two! Turned out the one in my library was Elvis's version, not the Wille one. Sorry about the hammering.

lizbrinker

Good morning, Del! Thank you for hosting and for supporting this worthy cause. I see Rob has beat me to the punch, but, as this is all for WaterAid, I shall post away. Other songs are in the works from me, but I recorded this chord melody arrangement based on Spencer Gay’s free online materials last night after open mic, thinking I would be the earliest bird…ah, well. Best laid plans…

The Water Is Wide
Traditional Scottish Tune
1600s

Voran

Song about an albatross skimming over the ocean

bird's eye view of my ukelele

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Hi Del! Thanks for the wide open theme, and a great cause. This is a song by Frank Black, better known to fans of the Pixies as Black Francis and to his mother (I assume) as Charles Thompson IV. It's from his 2005 solo album Honeycomb, which sounds not very much like the Pixies at all. This is my favourite song from it, "I Burn Today" - I listened to it a lot when it came out. As he says, down by the water, you'll find your happy days!

On baritone 8 string, plus overdubs of a tenor uke, a glockenspiel, and some bass from a midi keyboard.

UkeFoote

"Let's Make the Water Turn Black" by Frank Zappa, for concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and secondary vocals

thanks for hosting, Del!

DelGriff

Evening all, and thanks for a fine crop of early entries! :)

I went to see my parents today and did some singing with my Dad. He has dementia, but he still loves to sing with me and, despite his condition, his memory of songs and lyrics is remarkably unaffected. This one qualifies because of the word ‘clouds’ in the lyrics.

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP

I went to see my parents today and did some singing with my Dad. He has dementia, but he still loves to sing with me and, despite his condition, his memory of songs and lyrics is remarkably unaffected. This one qualifies because of the word ‘clouds’ in the lyrics.

It’s getting dusty in here. So beautiful!

Ila

Okay, I'm getting misty watching this. I miss my dad. You're lucky you have this video. Cherish it.

Ila

Hi Del! Thanks for the wide open theme, and a great cause. This is a song by Frank Black, better known to fans of the Pixies as Black Francis and to his mother (I assume) as Charles Thompson IV. It's from his 2005 solo album Honeycomb, which sounds not very much like the Pixies at all. This is my favourite song from it, "I Burn Today" - I listened to it a lot when it came out. As he says, down by the water, you'll find your happy days!

On baritone 8 string, plus overdubs of a tenor uke, a glockenspiel, and some bass from a midi keyboard.
Love the touch of the glockenspiel on this!

DelGriff

Hi Ila - YouTube seems to have assumed that your video is ‘just for kids’ (I can’t imagine why :LOL:), so I can neither leave a comment nor add it to the playlist. Could you change the setting please? Thank you! 🙂