Season 509 - ‘Water, water everywhere…’

SOTU 509- "Water of Love" - Written by Mark Knopfler for the debut Dire Straits album (1978). No copy right infringement intended. All credit to the writer. I got together with Kevin to do this one and ended up having our friends Chuck (bass) and Brian (drums) sit in!

Last edited:
A traditional song from North East England. The earliest published version is 1793. The tune is gorgeous.

Hey, Del!

Here's another quid's worth!

My mate Paul came round and we sat in the kitchen and played some songs. This one seemed to fit the season nicely so we recorded it. It mostly went okay...

Hi Del! Freddy Fender covered this song in 1975, when I was 11, and it was on the radio all the time. Please forgive my less-than-expert Spanish pronunciation. I’m planning to match your contribution to WaterAid. I’m so impressed by the number of songs rolling in. I hope it keeps up through the week.

Before The Next Teardrop Falls
Vivian Keith/Ben Peters

I have been rejigging my recording gear and software after just not being happy with it for the last 12 years. I have always complained that the sound coming out was not the same as the sound going in and have tried numerous mics and mixers. Then today I tried a USB mic straight into the PC and just used the software to mix....but ahhhhhh....the sound coming out WAS the same as going in....so this is a firstever test recording and I reprised and nearly remembered a song what I wrote at the beginning of my attempts at writing and recording all those 12 years ago, so a half remembered,half improvised and half baked recording indeed. Oh bliss....no more mixers and now to get a good USB mic....any recommendations?

Here is one I thought of by Styx.

Hopefully, youtube won't delete it this time.

They don't seem to like me much. :)

I am inspired by this weeks challenge, and especially Griffs pledge to donate to Water Aid, so I am also going kick in a few dollars to Water Aid Australia.
I was beaten to the punch for first song "Have You Ever Seen The Rain", so found a simple version of "Who'll Stop The Rain" I wonder did Creedence write these two together? Please excuse my attempts at riffs, I am not very good at that skill :-(

Good morning to all you wonderful wateraiders out there! So Jim’s delightful ditty brings the tally for the week so far to an impressive 54, and we’re only halfway through - thank you all for embracing the theme and the cause so enthusiastically! Keep them flooding in (⬅️ see what I did there?)! 🤓

Jim White satisfies all the southern gothic in my soul. This song is very dark and mentions a river. I was hooked when he went searching for the wrong eyed Jesus.

Long about an hour before sunrise
She drags his body down to the edge of the swollen river
Wrapped in a red velvet curtain
Stolen from the movie theater where she works
Quiet as a whisper, under the stanchions of a washed-out bridge she cuts him loose...
And watches as the flood waters spin him around once, then carry him away
Then she removes the golden ring upon her finger...and she throws it in
And I wonder; Baby why don't you cry? Baby why don't you... Baby why don't you cry?
And I wonder; Baby why don't you cry? Baby why don't you... Baby why don't you cry?

Three days later in a bar in southern Mississippi she meets a man by the name of Charles Lee
She introduces herself to him as "Lee Charles" "What a coincidence." he says...
And one week later they are married
He wakes up one night six months down the line to find her staring at him in the oddest way
When he says, "Honey, what's wrong?" she says, "Oh nothing dear...except that tears are
A stupid trick of God."
And by the time they find his body six weeks later... Well hell, she's a thousand miles away

She runs from devils. She runs from angels
She runs from the ghost of her father and five different uncles
Blinded by their memory, seared by their pain, she'd like to kill 'em all...then kill 'em all again
She don't think much about what she's done or the funny feelings that she feels
No, she don't
To her it's just a condition she picked up as a child... a little thing she calls
"the wound that never heals", she calls it, "the wound that never heals"
And I wonder; Baby why don't you cry? Baby why don't you...
Baby why don't you cry?

Ahoy all.
I bring you another Icelandic song, this time it is a song that is, somewhat, about the ocean

SOTU 509- "Just A Wave, Not The Water" written by Butch Hancock and recorded by Jimmy Dale Gilmore. (No copyright infringement intended. All credit to the rightful owners.) Better late than never! I have liked this song for years and really wanted to bring it to the Seasons. There are several nice versions on YouTube, but my favorite is Jimmy Dale playing it with his son, Colin Gilmore.

Hello again Del! I've seen this Bob Dylan song come up on the Seasons a couple of times or more over the last year or so, so I think I'll have a go now. It's only fair to warn you that there's a harmonica involved.

Apparently it was written in a rage when a hotel wouldn't let him in due to his scruffy appearance, before he was famous, until Joan Baez vouched for him.

Recovering from a cold and preparing to lead a rehearsal for a couple of holiday gigs at local senior centers, but I want to bring a few this week. Such a great cause, Del.

From The Man In Black …

And another one from your host - one of my very favourite songs to sing and play, and enhanced hugely here by the amazing Liz Brinker’s vocal harmonies and uke addition. ’Clouds’ is the qualifying word in the lyrics.
Thank you so much, Liz! :)

Top Bottom