Season 511 It's Essential!

Ms Bean

Season 511 invites all songs about essential services, workers, and other things without which our daily lives and / or mental health would be severely impacted. During the pandemic many roles we took for granted suddenly enjoyed lots more recognition and appreciation. Let's see which roles we can celebrate this week.

Usual rules apply:
- new videos only (unless medically excempt)
- post your video in the thread from tomorrow midnight in Hawai'i to next week Sunday 23.59 in Hawai'i
- at least one ukulele in your video, but all other instruments are welcome (or even essential)
- collaborations are very welcome
- one video per day (or max 8 for the season)
- if you have some time to spare, listen to other seasonistas' entries and post a comment on their YouTube channel
- all genres allowed (from originals to nursery songs, early music, jazz standards, Tin Pan Alley, progrock, classic rock, blues, indie, avant-garde, country, R&B etc.)

We have recently seen new Seasonistas, and we'd love to welcome many more. So if you're still hesitant, maybe this is the week?

Host's prerogative to post early:

Playlist

LimousinLil

UU VIP
UU VIP
That's a really timely theme for the week, Sabine ... looking forward to discovering some suitable songs!

bobjking

Hey, Sabine! Thanks for hosting!

As Val said, a timely theme...
Here's a shout out to all essential key workers everywhere but in particular chemists/pharmacy workers. Even more specifically, my uncle Kevin who tirelessly navigates the local area on a daily basis in his little green van delivering all manner of vital prescriptions, lotions, potions, tinctures and lozenges to the needy and less able.
Good on ya, Kevin!

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Hi Sabine! Thanks for the theme - definitely good to remember the people we take for granted. I wanted to dedicate something to the people who get us all to work. A lot of people wouldn't make it to their jobs at the hospitals, supermarkets, emergency services and so on, if it wasn't for the bus and train drivers keeping their services going.

I couldn't find a song I wanted to do about bus drivers, however, so here's a song about a place you'll find them (unless you miss it), the Bus Stop.

I hope this isn't too much of a stretch! I suppose it is a song about an essential service, if not exactly about the people running it. I still rely on bus drivers on the roughly one day a week I currently go to the office, so I'm glad they're still there! Also dedicated to the people who stand in the rain waiting to get to their essential jobs.

This involves The Steam Brothers adding a double tracked vocal and a baritone picking away underneath.

Ila

Apologies--the beginning of this song scrapes the bottom of my vocal range and makes me sound like a menopausal, two-pack a day smoker.

Flatbaroque

Thanks a lot Sabine. Good theme!
I wrote one about nurses.

Save a seat for Sally Diamond
She’s been walking for 1000 years
Every time men go to fight their battles
She’s out cleaning up that field of tears

She walks the concrete, the boards and ashes
While all around her down it splashes
Humanity, sanity the heroes and the cowards be
She’s wiped their brow before
They keep coming back for more

The ward is quiet tonight
Except for Corporal Bright
Starts to dream aloud, and it’s a heavy cloud
Starts falling, falling

“nursie can you see me on the ceiling
Nursie do you know the way I’m feeling
Nursie this morphine is my jailor
Nursie this Jesus is my tailor
The suit he made me got something missing
Nursie why is something missing?”

She needs no fanfare wants no band
Let her rest a while in No Man’s Land

Just rest a while in No Man’s Land

Ms Bean

I'm calling it a night for today.
After 12 hours we have four splendid entries. They were submitted by Bob, with a shoutout to his uncle; Edwin, who highlighted busdrivers and the public transport services; Ila, who reminded us that we all need a friend from time to time; and John, who wrote a splendid original about nurses!
I hope that you'll find some time to listen to their songs and get inspired to bring your own videos! Thanks all for a diverse start. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings, and which essentials you put in the spotlight.

pabrizzer

supermarket workers
in Australia we now have self checkouts where you scan and pack your own groceries - i refuse to use them
and at Aldi the check out people sit and don't pack anything - i go there sometimes
the shelves still need to be stacked by someone i guess
during lockdown i used home delivery a few times and i've also used click and collect - where you order and pay online and just go and pick the groceries up

LimousinLil

UU VIP
UU VIP
Hello, Sabine and very many thanks for hosting! My brain has turned to mush over the last couple of years - as evidenced by this video - but, so far, I have not sought the assistance of an "essential worker"...

Jim Yates

Super topic Sabine! There is no more essential worker than the farmer.
The Farmer Is The Man Who Feeds Us All - P.D. 1890s
I first heard this on a Pete Seeger LP, but have heard fine versions by Ry Cooder and Ella Jenkins as well. I didn't think of it till it was already recorded, but it would have been more inclusive and accurate for me to have sung The Farmer Is The One Who Feeds Us All.

I have this sticker on one of my banjo cases:

Attachments

• Farmers-Feed-Cities-Logo.jpg
    Farmers-Feed-Cities-Logo.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

wee_ginga_yin

One of the delights of my life was gardening. I loved eating the produce that i grew. It gave a rythme to the year from planting seeds to final harvest. It was an essential part of my life.

pabrizzer

yes - yay for the farmers!
paoriginal and true too
lately we've been buying from where it's grown when we can
i will say - if they're cutting out the frieght and the middle man and the retail profits they should be a little cheaper

Last edited:

Ms Bean

Time for a quick summary of today's new songs:
- 5 new entries (so you doubled the playlist!)
- Brian (pabrizzer) kicked us off today with an original song about the supermarket workers that man the checkouts
- Val sang us a song from The Wizard of Oz, and reminded us that brains are essential!
- Jim found a Public Domain song about farmers, who keep us all fed
- Rob, as an Old Gardener Guy, also sang about vegetables
- Brian wrote and sang us a second song, this one about ... farmers!
Big cheers to all of you, and the roles and brains you all supported.

The farmers and gardeners are now in the lead, though it's not a competition really. I hope it just shows how much we appreciate the professionals growing our food. After all, most of us eat several meals and snacks a day.

Whom and what can we add on the list of essential workers / services / things? I'll sleep on it, and see tomorrow brings.

wee_ginga_yin

I grew up in a mining village in Scotland.We heated our house with coal dug from the local pit. The fireplace had a back boiler that supplied hot water. No fire no warm water.
Most of the men in the village were miners.Every year there was the miners fortnight where the whole village would pile into black and white buses and head off to Blackpool for their holidays. No one wanted to go down the pits, but everybody did... and then we had the Knokshinnoch disaster. Coal was king.

joo

Thank you for hosting, Sabine!
I watched an episode of Postman Pat and the Greendale Ukulele Big Band and really enjoyed it.
The link to that episode is in my video description if you would like to watch it.
I used some of the footage from the episode for this video.

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
This song was inspired by a phrase my Dad used to use to me all the time when I was a kid: "You'll end up sweeping the streets!"
I always wondered what was so evil about sweeping the streets... and still do.

I hope you like:

YorkSteve

I'm not a staff member really...
Staff member
UU VIP
Well, this one didn't quite end the way it was supposed to - it looks as if we can add superglue manufacturers to the list of essential services. In the meantime, here's a song by The Move from 1968.

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
I wanted to do something to celebrate the role of bin collectors. There was a point last winter when we didn't have our bins collected for about four weeks, due to a combination of weather, sickness, and some other things, and you notice it doesn't half pile up quickly if nobody does anything about it. Unfortunately - until today at least when I heard Berni's - I only knew one song about a dustman and I'm definitely not doing that one. So, instead, here's a song that at least mention dustmen, by Tom Waits. I hope that is enough to qualify!

There's no way I'll ever sound like Tom Waits - I don't gargle with whisky nearly often enough - so just in case things aren't bad enough I added a melodica for the last choruses too.

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Sabine, this is a wonderful thme!

Some of our dogs (and cats) have accompanied my entries over the year. A few of them preceded my Uke adventure.

Without these folks, a difficult time would have been much tougher. We tend to adopt adult dogs and seniors. We lost three dogs and a cat within about six weeks last year (the dudes, Rufus and Sammy, and Grover, my all-time buddy, along with the wonderful Himalayan kitty Rani). Baxter left us about two months ago.

Now, we have The Terror Twins, 3-y.o. Tabby litter mates, and Sir Digby. They’re all good. Cherish them.

UkeFoote

Muddy Waters' "Bus Driver Blues", for baritone ukulele with singing and whistling, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and tenor ukulele.

Thanks for hosting, Sabine!