Season 511 It's Essential!

Hello again, Sabine! Following Pa in the celebration of doctors, what more reassuring presence could you have than the glamorous and industrious Dr. Kildare? (Well, actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen the TV series, but I do remember the theme tune being played on the radio a lot in my youth.)

I thought of this one that has a fireman and nurse in it. As usual, I learned lyrics I never knew - I always wondered how the nurse could sell puppies from a tray. LOL!

Cleaning Lady's Songlet (from mid-1980s), lyrics in Estonian by Priit Aimla, author of melody unknown. The cleaner, who takes care of an apartment building's staircases, has something to say:

I was half expecting someone else to have done this, but since they haven't yet, here is my attempt. This is dedicated to school teachers, and to those who've had to home school over the last couple of years. It's a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song, here performed with slightly fewer harmonies by Steam, Steam, Steam and Steam:

I was half expecting someone else to have done this, but since they haven't yet, here is my attempt. This is dedicated to school teachers, and to those who've had to home school over the last couple of years. It's a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song, here performed with slightly fewer harmonies by Steam, Steam, Steam and Steam:
i saw a bumper sticker which read 'If you can read this thank a teacher'
i also have to thank the optometrist - the eye surgeon - and the spectacle manufacturer

Special thanks to today's contributors: Brian (pabrizzer), Val, Elizabeth (cua94), Ylle and Edwin. Brian and Val brought further songs about doctors (Brian penned another paoriginal). Elizabeth spotted a beautiful nurse and a fireman with an hourglass in Penny Lane and saw her chosen song. Ylle showed us what the cleaning lady thinks of the residents that are living in the apartment building where she works. Edwin thought that teachers needed more support, and he also opened it up to everyone who tried homeschooling during Covid. We probably all agree that these roles experience lots of challenges.
Still two and a half days to go, so it's not too late yet to find a song. There are still nursery songs that mention f.i. farmers, and Johnny Cash has a song about a doctor...

i'd rather be marvelling at it on a wild and windy beach at pevensey bay, but even here in the middle of the city, NATURE inspires and sustains. there's a tiny robin been singing his little heart out in and around our garden, even on the coldest and dreariest looking days. this song is for him...

I found it hard to think of a song, eventually remembered this one, "My Old Mans a Dustman" Lonny Donnegan
In case you don't know a "dustman" is a garbage/rubbish/ collector employed to collect your weekly household waste.

I found it hard to think of a song, eventually remembered this one, "My Old Man's a Dustman" Lonny Donnegan
"My Old Man's a Dustman" was pretty much the first thing that came to mind, but I couldn't make a go of it. In the end, I had another go at this:

I thought of this one that has a fireman and nurse in it. As usual, I learned lyrics I never knew - I always wondered how the nurse could sell puppies from a tray. LOL!

As a POI, the nurse would have been selling paper poppies like the one in this logo, fundraising for the British Legion (armed forces support charity):
index.php

There are, though, some lyrics in that song (around 90 seconds in) that you don't want to enquire into too deeply. 😊

Attachments

• brit legion.jpg
    brit legion.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 97

I still remembered all of the lyrics from the Now40! Fun to do this version.

This song is loaded with services that some deem essential, others less so. There were a lot more "essentials" mentioned, but I had to do some heavy editing of the verses to make it short enough to get the point across and get out. Whatever your personal opinions are about what is essential in our global society, we all gotta keep on pushing up to a higher ground.

It's hard to imagine, if the sewage system would not be in place (back to the medievals...),
so a little song from The Corries:

I said I would have a go at this and then had to disappear for a couple of days. Now I see that I am late to the table cos there is a good version already up.....but ah,here's another. I bought my copy of this at WH Smiths on Waterloo station in 1969 on my first trip home to Germany from school, I was 10 years old. I bought it for my Dad. For Christmas. I did not know that he hated Lonnie Donegan and skiffle and long story short I ended up with the album. I rather liked it.

Without migrant workers, we wouldn't eat.

Sabine kicked off this Season with Joe Strummer and Mick Jones's "London's Burning." As we wind down, here's a love letter they wrote to immigrant workers everywhere...

Let's keep our communities as healthy and safe as possible this holiday season!

<3Ralf

thank you for the week, Sabine. I have yet to watch most of the videos. Will be on leave for a couple of days this week, and looking forward to doing that!

The weekend was a bit quieter (to be expected) so I'll wrap those songs up together.
The essentials that made in in on Saturday were: nature (in an original from Lynda), dustmen (submitted by Paulmg and endorsed by Rob), night nurses (RedPaul), doctors (Lyndall). On Sunday this was all followed by a mix of many essentials (brought by Christopher/Yukio), toilets (curtesy of Heinz), dustmen (many memories for CeeJay), migrant workers (Ralph), and I closed with an final homage to doctors.

So thanks to all of you for practising, recording, submitting songs, for thinking about the theme and listening to the playlist. I think I have listened to all the songs, and I'll try to wrap it up by the end of Wednesday.

Top Bottom