Season 517: Wind

I don't think anyone played this one yet....

When I searched YouTube for "the wind", this song came up on the first page - and I remember it from listening to Cat Stevens records in college with my friend, Charlie. We were a bit after the time of Cat Stevens, but not too much. Yusuf uploaded a version of the song to YouTube last year, which is lovely (check it out). He played with a capo on the first fret, not sure why as I think the original is a half step lower, but I followed his lead.
Also, as he said at the end of his performance, peace be with you.

Thanks Jim Y. my fellow Canuck Seasonista for giving me the green light to offer up my version of Four Strong Winds by Ian Tyson.

This song was originally recorded by the Canadian folk duo Ian and Sylvia in 1961 and then later covered by Neil Young after which it became widely known. I grew up singing it around the campfire every summer in the Canadian prairies. Like Jim pointed out in his version the song ends on the 5 chord and leaves you with a haunting feeling of longing for lost love.

Super quick recording of the Scorpions 1991 classic. Side note, any takes on singing on this?

Well here's my second for this week... and probably my last. I am preparing to host Season 518!
I know many a song has been inspired by the contents of a bottle of wine, but perhaps far fewer were inspired directly by the bottle itself.

I was in a wine shop this week and, conscious of the week's theme, I couldn't help notice this interesting looking wine from the Montsant area of Catalunya. What caught my eye, of course, was the name of the wine: "Els Secrets del Vent" (The Secrets of the Wind). I knew I had to buy that one and consume it before the passing of this season. It also got me thinking about the title as a possible inspiration for a song. That was a few days back. Nothing was coming to mind.... but then this morning "twixt sleep and awake" the chorus came to me out of the blue. Luckily, Carmen's alarm went off and so I wasn't disturbing her by putting on the light and hurriedly writing down the lyrics I had been gifted. Then I worked on the first verse and the other two came as a consequence.

I hope you enjoy:

Were I to say a word
My lips turn chill
In the autumn wind.
(Edit) a Matsuo Basho haiku that i put to music. I am singing the English translation of his haiku. It was only after Val commented that she had no idea what Basho was that I thought I would add this note. :--)

Last edited:
Demon Lover. This is a cover of a Michael P Smith song. It is a retelling of the House Carpenter, set in present day New Jersey. You may to crank up the volume as I sing this softly.
The chorus starts “The gypsy wind says to me…..”

That was so "masterfully well-done", to quote what Dave said in his YouTube comments. It was. Very much so.

I'm slightly surprised not to have seen this one yet (although I may have missed it - apologies if so - and of course I enjoyed Ralf's recent version).
I notice that in general people like to avoid the more obvious choices, though maybe that's because you've all done them before. Anyway, I still wanted to have a go. Here's my attempt at Donovan's "Catch The Wind":

I think I got the sound levels a bit wrong here but I ran out of time to have another go, so here it is anyway. Or it might just be because I got new headphones (my Roomba ate my old ones. Oops.) and they're better at showing up flaws.

Did I miss it, or has this one gone uncovered all week? The first one I though of.
A phone recording this time, I didnt have time to do my setup.

Blowin` In The Wind - Bob Dylan

I was working up a version of Donovan Leitch's Catch The Wind, but Edwin did one that I won't be able to improve upon. I recall reading in an old Sing Out! magazine that Donovan said he was inspired to write it by Bob Dylan's Blowin' In The Wind, so I decided to give that one a shot. I think that this was probably the first Dylan song that I ever heard.

Further to a discussion about hats last week, I have decided to put on some hats for Seasons videos.

A feather on the breath of God. An original song insiped by a 12th century mystic Hildegard of Bingen. Do you remember Forrest Gump opening sequence of a feather being blown about by the wind. Hildegard believed her life was like a feather gently blown from place to place, and that the people hearing the songs she composed would become sparkling gems. Perhaps she believed in the transformative power of music.

Could think of lots of songs that mention windy weather, but only in passing. Fortunately, the passing reference in this one comes in the very first line. 🙂 🥌🥌🥌

First time submitting more than one song. The theme brought this old Disney song to mind and I’ve been humming it all week.

ok really shoehorning it into the theme here, but all the other wind songs I thought of had been done! This is Catch My Disease by Ben Lee, which hopefully qualifies as it includes the lyric "she told me about the winds from Santa Ana".

Enjoy!

Top Bottom