Season 518 - Eire

For season 518.

More of a sprint than a march, emulating a session I suppose lol

Hi Berni!

I try oh so hard not to lapse into a bad brogue when I sing these songs. I hope I largely succeeded. This is another Raleigh Uke Jam favorite, especially when we play in the pubs.

Another attempt of Red is the Rose in Chord Melody on concert uke

SOTU 518 - "The Girl I left Behind Me" (Traditional). This song is a bit of a hybrid - the the melody comes from the Irish tune "The Wandering Labourer". The first printed text appeared in Dublin in 1791. The lyrics have been rewritten many times with the most popular version also being known as "Brighton Camp," an English marching tune. It was popular in America during the War of 1812 and popular with both sides of the American Civil War. It remains a military marching standard. I've included an "Irish Verse" at the end to bring it back home.

The exhalted Season Master (this week) approved this song as being suitably Irish. I present you The Blood, done originally by the popular Irish band The Frames.

I didn't see anyone do this one yet. Maybe, but hey...here's my version. Sorry it's so long. Those Irish folkies are more interested in telling a story than radio play I reckon.

on abba's new album "voyage", there is a song called "when you danced with me", the opening lines of which are "i can remember when you left kilkenny, and you told me, I'll return next year". that song is from the persective of the person left behind - this song of mine is a sort of response, from the perspective of the person who left, and returned...

I just watched a Tom Waits documentry called Tom Waits - Under Review 1983-2006 [Full DVD] which recounts the drastic change in style he underwent with the CD Swordfishtrombones.

Gone were the lyricism of those sweet piano songs, and in came trash can, rough and ready, industrial strength mayhem, with guttural Howling Wolf vocals.

That is when I decided to do a dustbin of kitchen utensils rattling down ten flights of stairs version of "be thou my vision" reggae style

Van the man from the red hand state did a more traditional version. If you can... choose dancers for friends... Saint Patrick and the high King of Tara for example.

A quick visit to Craggy Island. Neil Hannon, a Northern Irishman (born in Derry) of The Divine Comedy fame, wrote this for Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews brilliant Father Ted. Hannon, who is a musical hero of mine, later expanded the theme into a full song, Songs Of Love, which I covered before for Croaky Keith’s Season 307, but this is the original theme.

Here is the one I did:

Here is my attempt at a song.
It is by Steve Earle, who is not Irish, but managed to get a nice Irish vibe going on this song.
My vibe is quite different than how the song is usually sung, but it still mentions Galway!

I started working on the song last summer for a traveling themed season, to remember when I was there about 20 years ago. Then I didn't finish it in time and left it in the drawer. If I didn't do something with it this week, I dont know when :)

An American country singer-songwriter (Steve Earle) wrote a song about an Irish girl, which is popular by Irish singers Mundy and Sharon Shannon. Different from UkingViking ... tried to get the mood.

Last edited:
I thought someone would have covered this one, "Dublin In The Rare Old Times" by Pete St John (born Peter Mooney), he is best known for "Fields of Atherny" Written in the 70's, its quite a long song

I can’t thank you enough Berni for hosting SOTU 518 of course, but also for inspiring me to write a song. My first since my early twenties!

This is called Lament for the Dingle Coast and I dedicate it to my lovely choir “Rhythm ‘n Roots” led by the amazing Karla Mundy in Vancouver, Canada. We had a trip planned to sing in Ireland in June 2020. Alas…here is my lament.
It’s brand new of course so I hope to polish it up and debut it at our next choir cabaret 💜

here is an Eurovision entry from Ireland in 1967, performed by Sean Dunphy.
I played this for Lynda's Eurovison week in 2015.

Just finished watching Derek TV and discovered that his dad was Irish perhaps this was a song they sung together of an evening at 6 o'clock (Thornton Rule)

Top Bottom