Season 540- PUNKS NOT DEAD

Spent about four hours out on the smoker making tri-tip today and I am paying for it with my voice and my sinuses. No worries though, boy was it good!
Anyway, from my home town, Rancid. Laid back Olympia WA cover.

The Ramones in a blues style using 7th chords... well you did say you could perform the song in a style different from the original, which is what I tend to do anyway.

Haha- yep, do them however you want mate (because I know you are going to do them like that anyway). Surprised you did not mention Bobby Freeman ;)

Last edited:
Here's an Australian band "Dave Warner from the Suburbs". A pub rock band with punk sensibilities. Their 1978 hit Suburban Boy. I have the dreaded Lurgy Internationale de Wuhan...hasn't made much difference to my voice :).

From a time long gone. Jeffrey Lewis is like a precious record found in the bargain bin.

Jeffrey Lewis
Don't Be Upset
i took my darling out to the aquarium
sea creatures stared at us and we stared back at them
my baby freaked when she peeked at that 8-legged blob with a beak
she was too scared to speak
i said don't be upset it's only an octopus
don't bother it and i'm sure it won't bother us
please don't be upset my darling, please don't get upset
my baby came riding to meet me one time
on the crowed last car of the downtown-bound 9
she was brave but she caved
when the train was delayed
it was just the last straw in her hard busy day
i said don't get upset 'cuz it's not a catastrophe
nothing will happen and soon you'll be back with me
please don't be upset my darling , please don't be upset
my gal's got a headhache, her ankle is hurting too
boots she bought gave her a rash & her winsdom tooth
is coming in and it's damp out and she's having cramps
and she's so mad at me cuz i didn't shave
i said don't be upset i know you're feeling sensitive
i'll try to be kinder and be more attentive
please don't be upset my darling please don't get upset
darling i said, i'm gonna be 27 soon
i've only got rejection letters and a sense of impending doom
i think it's too late for me
all the comic companies hate me
and i try but it's always the same
i guess my art is just lame and it's strange but still somehow i'm
always not suiting their needs at this time
and she said ........don't be upset,
you know that you're wonderful
just keep on trying ...(actually what she really said was)
all you ever wanna talk about is your self
and your comic books and your album and your tour
and everytime i see your friends they just ask
me where you are again and it hurts
it makes me feel like dirt
i'm just gonna write where you are on my shirt
and i said don't be upset, don't be in a bad mood
let's just go to a show and hang out and feel good
come on please don't be upset my darling,
please don't be upset, i'll do anything baby, just don't be upset .

Last edited:
More Clash! Channeling Bobby Fuller Four. Great uke beginners song, too. Thanks, Dave!

Good morning everyone! NICE, got some videos to look at! I will be kind of quiet until this evening as today is bird day, I will catch up quickly after I tend to my corvids ;)
Now for some coffee and a few songs!
Here’s the Offspring doing one of the first punk / indie label songs to sell 11 million copies acoustically, with added ukulele for that extra something.

Last edited:
Happy to do my bit to support community venues! And, if Garage Rock counts, then I reckon it's time we had some Iggy Pop, or Igor Popovic Jr to his mother. (Checks Wikipedia) Oh right.

Anyway. This was a fun one for adding a few overdubs, with The Steamers joining in on backing vocals. You'll notice a few differences from the Iggy Pop original though. For example, I've kept my shirt on.

I'm with you Dave, all punk should henceforth be played on the cheapest uke one can find.

Here's me playing a song on the £30 Octopus ukulele my aunt got me for my 30th birthday because 30.

And I think you can definitely make a case for this song being punk even if it was 20 years to early. Fast, driving verses, three chords, shouty chorus, lyrics about disadvantaged youth? Yup. Bit too much virtuosity in the original so I have amended that.

For now, an inspirational video. Sadly, the best scream ever in punk rock has passed away (Kim Shattuck of the Muffs), but these young ladies are carrying the punk rock torch, and they are just pretty rad.

The Linda Lindas are great fun. They've been getting quite a bit of play on BBC 6 Music (their song Nino was played a lot a few weeks ago) and it was only when Craig Charles interviewed them the other day that I realised they were all kids. Their drummer is 11! I can't remember what I was doing when I was 11... probably making another excuse not to practise my clarinet.

Thanks for the memories of the Phoenix!

This place is a haven... Back in the day, the place was basically always open all day long, not just for shows. Punk kids could show up any time to play the piano, nap on a (grimy) couch, graffiti the walls, get homework help (really!) or what ever. No drugs or violence were the only hard and fast rules.

I saw some amazing shows there... No Means No, firehose, Victims Family... and dozens of bands getting their first stage experience...

The men's bathroom upstairs was a never ending graffiti master piece... sometimes the bands themselves would go up there and have at it... the paint must be an inch thick by now in there...

Hell, I think even my band played there once... right after the Cotati Caberet closed... or did I only dream that?

The Other Band at the Phoenix? Yes, I do believe that actually happened...

Like you, TKC, I'm more likely to end up at the Mystic these days to see something a bit less high energy. But thanks for the memories...

Now: Let's see if I can crank out firehose's Chemical Wire...

Wait a
Thanks for the memories of the Phoenix!

This place is a haven... Back in the day, the place was basically always open all day long, not just for shows. Punk kids could show up any time to play the piano, nap on a (grimy) couch, graffiti the walls, get homework help (really!) or what ever. No drugs or violence were the only hard and fast rules.

I saw some amazing shows there... No Means No, firehose, Victims Family... and dozens of bands getting their first stage experience...

The men's bathroom upstairs was a never ending graffiti master piece... sometimes the bands themselves would go up there and have at it... the paint must be an inch thick by now in there...

Hell, I think even my band played there once... right after the Cotati Caberet closed... or did I only dream that?

The Other Band at the Phoenix? Yes, I do believe that actually happened...

Like you, TKC, I'm more likely to end up at the Mystic these days to see something a bit less high energy. But thanks for the memories...

Now: Let's see if I can crank out firehose's Chemical Wire...
Wait a minute...I figured surely there were some among us who had been to the Phoenix, and yes- that bathroom. Almost bled out there with a broken nose while my now wife sat fretting at the doorway (It's cool- cold water will stop it), but you also brought the Caberet. Now that one is likely to be on very few people's radar (best Descendants show EVER...and Body Count? That was what closed it I think. It was ridiculous). It is highly likely we have been to many of the same shows over the last 30 years...and here we meet on UU? This is a crazy world.
Were you at Bob Mould? That was a fun night.
Anyway- Let's hear some Firehose!

Last edited:
I wanna play one before I do my homework if that is all right. I picked this theme to celebrate that fact that my long suffering wife has been married to a man-child for nearly 22 years. Big day is Friday.
This was the first song she heard as a new bride. My mom danced down the aisle right behind us, and her mom asked “is this legal?”
In any event…for my muse

7D41BBAC-30B6-47E0-8DBE-AE6E7CAEA77B.jpeg
She’s The One by the RAMONES.

Now off to my homework ;)

Well shoot- you guys took me down the road to punk rock this evening, and I could not be happier. Thank you all for your contributions, they have all been wonderful. I will say that while you all went deep (shoot- Ryan went fifties ad was spot on), we are missing the New York Dolls and The Patti Smith, and the Starman… (so, I have a request...). What a great bit of music this playlist is shaping up to be ;)

Wee= Hahahaha- I commented here nine years ago. Happy to be back, thanks for sharing it with us Wee!

Flat Broke (cuz I can’t spell)- What a great bring- this one is not on my radar, but I love it. Love the effects on the uke and well, the 'rona has left your voice sounding great to me. Get well soon mate.

Wee- Cannot leave a comment here, but I wish I could. Excellent song my friend.

Pa- This one has got it all. Love the lyrics and the great driving chord progression here, makes me smile and think of one of my heroes who has sadly left us. And well, after the last six years at least here in the US, we have not learned a f***ng thing. Love this Pa- thanks for sharing it with us.
Sorry I said the F word…it is true.

Rick- DAMN- let me go get my uke! The Clash were my first exposure to Punk and this is perfect mate. Thanks for playing it for us. Hope you can here us from the "dale.

Sir Extra Cheese- Another one I adore- I really hope you heard me joining you. I LOVE this song and have never played it. That may change soon, but it would not be a spot on this...thank you so much for playing this for us. Just brilliant. Oh crap...Mel wants to dance now....

BEV- Love seeing those hands and the top of an ukulele pop up when I am hosting. This is really great as expected, thank you so much for writing it and playing it for us. So many great early punk vibes screaming off this one.

Edwin- Tonight is making me smile so hard! Edwin, this is FANTASTIC, and is one of my favorite songs (do I say that a lot...I think I do, but I love this). I'll go two dollars if the shirt comes off mate...but as it stands this has me smiling until it hurts. Excellent version. Mel is singing along while I type.

Ryan- Yes sir- play that thing into sawdust!!! I concur, Chuck and Little Richard, those guys were pissed, and the ferocity they played with came right out. Hahaha- I thought from your comment regarding the virtuosity that you had stripped it down to make it more punk. You did all right with that face melting solo mate.

Wee- Haha- Been here historically as well, but what a great fit! Thanks for sharing it with us.

More filth and furry to follow I am sure- see y'all tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
Punk is often associated with people who had more enthusiasm and musicianship. It truly is DIY music. Johnathan Richmond kept his songs very simple, and it is hard to believe such an art form could be reduced even further but Sepi Kumpulainen with his two chord songs succeeds.

and the singing janitor himself.

I wanna play one before I do my homework if that is all right. I picked this theme to celebrate that fact that my long suffering wife has been married to a man-child for nearly 22 years. Big day is Friday.
This was the first song she heard as a new bride. My mom danced down the aisle right behind us, and her mom asked “is this legal?”
In any event…for my muse

View attachment 141331
She’s The One by the RAMONES.

Now off to my homework ;)

First of all, congratulations on your anniversary. Second, OMFG Mel hasn't changed at all; what's her secret? (And don't you dare take any credit for it, sir!) Third, Dave, you look DASHING in that photo.

Top Bottom