Season 540- PUNKS NOT DEAD

Ila

Hello, again, Dave! My apologies ... I promised myself (and everyone else) that I wouldn't do this; but, on a wet morning here in deepest France, the temptation was too much.

Val, you are AMAZING. I'm so glad you covered this. I wouldn't have done it justice the way you did. Nor would I have the right outfit to pull it off like you did.

TCK

First of all, congratulations on your anniversary. Second, OMFG Mel hasn't changed at all; what's her secret? (And don't you dare take any credit for it, sir!) Third, Dave, you look DASHING in that photo.
Hahaha- it’s like you knew exactly what I was gonna say ;)

Markwo

Punk's not dead......and it turns out I'm not either. It's been a few years since I have participated, but the combo of TCK's punk season, and my own pent up angst compelled me to come back. So here is an original that I was working on a few months ago. I kind of have forgotten how I used to record and upload. Unfinished and unpolished, but hey - it's punk rock.

Yukio

Welcome back, Markwo. I have been AWOC (Absent Without a Clue) for a while lately.
I had intended to do this song for Ila's HELL HATH NO FURY season. I figured it out on the uke, but did not get around to recording it.
Anyway, I will grab the low-hanging fruit and submit this banger from the punk/hardcore legends, X.

wee_ginga_yin

Punk's not dead......and it turns out I'm not either. It's been a few years since I have participated, but the combo of TCK's punk season, and my own pent up angst compelled me to come back. So here is an original that I was working on a few months ago. I kind of have forgotten how I used to record and upload. Unfinished and unpolished, but hey - it's punk rock.
You still got in the finger point🤩🤩👍

Reactions: TCK

bobjking

Okay...It's Wednesday evening and punk is very much still alive and kicking in my kitchen. Here's a tune from Belfast's finest and (imho) one the greatest punk bands of all time, Stiff Little Fingers.
No fancy stuff, one take, straight to phone.
Talking of fingers, my index took a proper beating during this one!

(I also took some inspiration from Extra Cheese and moved around a bit...cheers, man!)

Last edited:

bbkobabe

Wait a

Wait a minute...I figured surely there were some among us who had been to the Phoenix, and yes- that bathroom. Almost bled out there with a broken nose while my now wife sat fretting at the doorway (It's cool- cold water will stop it), but you also brought the Caberet. Now that one is likely to be on very few people's radar (best Descendants show EVER...and Body Count? That was what closed it I think. It was ridiculous). It is highly likely we have been to many of the same shows over the last 30 years...and here we meet on UU? This is a crazy world.
Were you at Bob Mould? That was a fun night.
Anyway- Let's hear some Firehose!
Saw so many amazing shows at the Cotati Caberet as well... Mojo Nixon with the Beat Farmers... Saw an unknown band called Green Day as the opening act on a four band bill headlined by The Disciples of Ed (who? ... I still have the poster!). Fishbone... Wasn't Neil Young the original punk? Saw him there, too. The Beatnigs, which morphed into Michael Franti and Spearhead. I was working at the radio station at Sonoma State at the time and got free tickets to everything there at "The Cab" for a while...

I used to sneak a tape recorder in there frequently as well. and sometimes I'll drop one into my cassette player, take a trip down memory lane, and relive those remarkable times!

One of the bands I used to play in took the stage there several times... Ever see The Once a Year Band? Probably not... our name came from the our infrequent rehearsal schedule... Not too popular. Our lead singer was a lawyer. We were not cool... We did not play Punk...

I think Tom Gaffney, who ran and I think co-owned the CC for many years, opened the Phoenix when he sold the Cab... Amazing guy!

But the weirdest venue up here in Sonoma County was (and still is) the Luther Burbank Center. No dancing was allowed in the early days, which made for a really odd vibe. Saw X play there, and you could tell the band was all wondering why we were all sitting in our seats. Why? Because security would throw you out if you danced! The night the Replacements played, the audience rioted and smashed many of the pews when security attempted to break up the show... Yes, pews. The place was a former church! (Only place I ever got busted with my tape recorder, FYI... I still cue up that X concert cassette I made there from time to time...) They have regular seats today...

Amazing times, and yes, TCK, it's basically an unquestionable fact that we must have been at shows together at some point. And: although I did enjoy indulging in the mosh pit now and then, I was not the one who broke your nose at the Phoenix...

We should get together, uke out, and see what we can collectively recall of those times with our few remaining brain cells...

Neil_O

Good morning everyone! NICE, got some videos to look at! I will be kind of quiet until this evening as today is bird day, I will catch up quickly after I tend to my corvids ;)
Now for some coffee and a few songs!
Here’s the Offspring doing one of the first punk / indie label songs to sell 11 million copies acoustically, with added ukulele for that extra something.
Smashing the supposed Granpa's uke is pretty punk. Great version.

TCK

So darn hot outside well, I am afraid this will happen a lot today. Apologies in advance.
Screeching Weasel

TCK

Saw so many amazing shows at the Cotati Caberet as well... Mojo Nixon with the Beat Farmers... Saw an unknown band called Green Day as the opening act on a four band bill headlined by The Disciples of Ed (who? ... I still have the poster!). Fishbone... Wasn't Neil Young the original punk? Saw him there, too. The Beatnigs, which morphed into Michael Franti and Spearhead. I was working at the radio station at Sonoma State at the time and got free tickets to everything there at "The Cab" for a while...

I used to sneak a tape recorder in there frequently as well. and sometimes I'll drop one into my cassette player, take a trip down memory lane, and relive those remarkable times!

One of the bands I used to play in took the stage there several times... Ever see The Once a Year Band? Probably not... our name came from the our infrequent rehearsal schedule... Not too popular. Our lead singer was a lawyer. We were not cool... We did not play Punk...

I think Tom Gaffney, who ran and I think co-owned the CC for many years, opened the Phoenix when he sold the Cab... Amazing guy!

But the weirdest venue up here in Sonoma County was (and still is) the Luther Burbank Center. No dancing was allowed in the early days, which made for a really odd vibe. Saw X play there, and you could tell the band was all wondering why we were all sitting in our seats. Why? Because security would throw you out if you danced! The night the Replacements played, the audience rioted and smashed many of the pews when security attempted to break up the show... Yes, pews. The place was a former church! (Only place I ever got busted with my tape recorder, FYI... I still cue up that X concert cassette I made there from time to time...) They have regular seats today...

Amazing times, and yes, TCK, it's basically an unquestionable fact that we must have been at shows together at some point. And: although I did enjoy indulging in the mosh pit now and then, I was not the one who broke your nose at the Phoenix...

We should get together, uke out, and see what we can collectively recall of those times with our few remaining brain cells...
Hahaha- we should for sure! Sounds like you preceded me by a few minutes, but I was at that Green Day show and was on KSUN as well. WISH I was at the Replacements show, and thanks for not breaking my nose 😂

UkingViking

Please don't die!

I don't remember ever hearing The Sonics before, but after the mention in the opening post, I had to google this song. And after hearing it, I had to give it a try :)

TCK

Still too hot to go outside
Watched the Sex Pistols show on Hulu and emailed the director of BOOM: A film about The Sonics to try and get a copy (oddly enough it is not widely available) and then played a tune for the cat (dogs are at day-care).

lizbrinker

Hi Dave and thanks for hosting! The Tubes were a proto-punk group I used to listen to in the ‘80s while getting ready to go out for some weekend fun. I couldn’t pull off White Punks On Dope… alas. Here is what lead singer, Fee Waybill, had to say about the song I chose from the Completion Backward Principle album:

“I think my favorite song(from the album) is probably ‘Mr. Hate.’ I kinda turn into this psycho killer where I sing ‘Mr. Hate,’ which was also a true story.”

Mr. Hate was in reference to Mark McDermand, a man living in the San Francisco Bay Area, who had been accused of killing his mother and brother. McDermand was a fugitive for 12 days and during that time penned letters to several Bay Area newspapers claiming his innocence. The Tubes formulated some of Mr. Hate’s lyrics by glomming content from McDermand’s letters.

hqdefault.jpg

“It was kind of like the Unabomber or something…and he had all these people on his side and he would sign them Mr. Hate,” Fee Waybill explained. “And everyone thought he was innocent and then it turns out, no, he actually did it. And he was all full of shit. Which is even more perfect for the album.” Whole article here: https://fortheloveofbands.com/2020/...ee-waybill-the-completion-backward-principle/

Mr. Hate

TCK

Well, I am having fun- I sure hope you are as well! Another amazing day of music for sure, thank you all for your contributions to the playlist. Here is my homework:

Wee- As you know, that was NOT on my radar! W have that poster here, we call hm Bigfoot. Great little tune here, and thanks for sharing it (and the original) with us!

Val- I have no idea what you are apologizing for...this is so completely awesome I watched it once, and then asked Melissa to join me in a sing-a-long. This is so great. Siling real hard here in the 'dale.

Cua- YAY! So glad you picked one that your parents hated! Kind of funny to me because my parents loved when I was a kid and wanted to only listen to the Beatles. They hated absolutely everything that came later ;) Excellent choice, excellent cover here, thanks for playing for us!

Mark- MARK!!! Welcome back man! First, on what life has handed you of late...no words, just big old internet hugs. Now on to this pop punk masterpiece you have written. What a great addition to the playlist here, well written and performed. Thanks for doing out of retirement sir...hope there is more where this came from.

Yukio- WOW. First. X. Still letting that soak in. Second, holy crap you delivered this! Played that Uke straight into sawdust and nailed every bit of the vocals. That was unreal dude. Unreal. Loved it.

Bob- I agree- SLF is one of the greatest punk bands to ever play. When I met Melissa, I had Elvis with stigmata painted on my leather. "Um...my parents are Catholic"...stayed up all night replacing it with an early SLF portrait. None of this changed their perception of me (its just a phase lol), but I met a promotor who was bringing them here many years later. He gave me tickets to the show, and took me early to meet them. Jake is about the nicest person in the world. Anyway- this is an AMAZING cover, no surprise there, and you ought tio ice that index finger...those 8 strings are brutal. Thank you for now bringing my two favorite bands of all time this week- hope you try for #3.

Kind of Mike- OH MY GOD YA DID IT!!!!!! In my opinion, this is the first song that we can truly call punk, even though it came out a few years after the Trashmen did Surfing' Bird...I waffle on the two a lot. Hope you listened to the Richard Berry original as well because it is an awesome bit of R&B/Doo Wop and well I could babble about this song FOREVER because I absolutely love it, and you played it, and you knocked it out of the park!!!! I may talk about this all night...which might cause Melissa to kill me, but man this is awesome. It should be public, but totally up to you. SO good.

Chris- This is my sisters favorite band, they did not come around until I was already getting too old for the pit, but I know a lot of their stuff from her and my nephew. Tim can write an amazing song, and they are stupid hard to cover (I have been working on Ready To Fall for YEARS)....you killed this. Well played and sung, really great delivery here. Thank you for playing it for us!

Liz- What a great choice! Who cares what genre they were considered, they are ICONIC, and were in the greatest movie of all time (Yep- Xanadu...just work with me here), they cut their teeth at the Cotati Caberet (the other music venue in Sonoma County...you likely saw our banter there). And well, this is a perfect cover. Playing, singing, all of it just outrageous. Thank you so much for playing this for us.

You all have brought some amazing songs and plastered a smile on my face that doesn't even wilt in 107 degree heat, thank you. As I mentioned on Mike's video (Thank you so much for playing the Sonics!!!), the original "Have Love, Will Travel" is a must hear. I doubt Richard Berry knew he was inventing Punk Rock when he wrote it ;)
We will just drop that here for further inspiration.

wee_ginga_yin

Slomo Flower Punk by Zappa... before the seasons existed... during my Sheik YerMoni Makir phase.

DelGriff

Hi Dave, and thanks so much for hosting this week!

For most of my teenage years I shared a bedroom with my older brother, John. He was hugely into punk rock and rebelling against the system generally - I was a boring goody two shoes with quite different musical tastes. Inevitably there were occasional conflicts about whose turn it was to listen to their music - in the main, his records drove me up the wall, with their angry, shouty and often less than melodic qualities! (More about my brother John in a following post!)

However, one or two of the groups he liked I actually found musically acceptable - none more so than the Buzzcocks. And it was always a relief to hear the one I’m covering today.

I’ve added some synth bass, rock organ and a homemade drum track, and plugged my baritone uke into the iPad to use one of GarageBand’s awesome crunchy amp effects for an authentic punky sound. It really is a uke making that noise! :)

DelGriff

So, if you saw my previous post in the thread, you’ll know that my older brother, John, was and still is a huge fan of the punk genre. And, just to prove that Dave’s theme title this week is true - that punk really isn’t dead - here’s a recent vid of my brother doing some guest vocals for a local punk band (Anthrax UK - not to be confused with the American rock band of the same name), that formed 40-ish years ago and are still going strong. John is the guy singing on the far right of the picture. Not my kind of music, but I’m very proud of him all the same! :)

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
A quickfire number this week clocking in at 54 seconds. It's an original Punk piece I wrote especially for this season! It's dedicated to our host with the most - TCK!

Hope you like: