Season 540- PUNKS NOT DEAD

LSamuels

Well, this morning I didn't think I would be ready to record this song tonight (and as you will see, I wasn't). But today turned out to be a rough day for a lot of people here, and I just wanted to send this out into the world, ready or not. So here's some Frank Turner. "In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind..."

Mark Suszko

It was this, or the Dead Milkmen. I just got around to doing this one first. Arguably, the original had the attitude, speed, and rawness to fit the definition of a "punk" genre'. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. This uke cover was made to emulate the style of their ground-breaking original Lego-based animated video original. In the original, Michelle Gondry ran out of time to animate everything in the song with actual legos, so they used some of the same pixellation effects I have used here, to fill in the missing chunks.The record execs were probably happier that way; it made the band easier to see. Execs are like that.

TCK

I gotta tell ya, I thought this punk was dead today while mowing at dads. Because he didn't want to ask for help, it was a lot of work and 100 degrees (38C for some of you)- just miserable. In any event, If I have left anything out please let me know...I am pretty sure my brain has turned to pudding.

and for today-

Ylle- What a great song! Perfect punk feeling to it and thank you for including the words in English for folks like me that barely even speak that. Excellent addition to the week…and a source of amazement as I don’t know how you held on to that Risa> Thank you for playing this for us

John- this is a spectacular cover here! It never hurts to start off with a great song, but everything here is executed so well. Really nice job. Loving the tone on the uke as well....is it cf?

Pa- Love the playing here but really appreciate the inclusion of the lyrics, which are fantastic! Thanks again for not only playing another for us, but writing it as well.

Wee- A fresh and as always interesting take on a song I have loved most of my life. This was the one ya played to get the girls to ride on the back of your scooter. Really nice job here, thanks for sharing it with us Wee
383ECF34-FF8F-4443-83A1-9965786C28EA.jpegGlad you made it Paul! The Pukes biggest fan was getting antsy! (Damn forum posts it sideways. Don’t fall Barfie!)
Paul- An excellent song here and a fitting tribute to the members of the worlds greatest Ukulele punk band who passed way too early. That is a big pile of songs there...thanks for bringing this one for us- glad you got that mike working!
And part to of the session - Teaching Punk is definitely worth a chuckle! Another banger here! I reckon I may be a part time punk mostly because I am old and have a full time job ;) Excellent tune here my friend, thank you for these.
And number three- And this one take the cake mate. I think there is a special award for playing punk rock ukulele on an ukulele signed by the Clash. This is so fantastic! That percussion strum followed by the Formby bits...I have watched it twice to figure out what you were doing there...yeah, I will be back because I still ain't getting it. Thanks for all the songs today mate!

Chris- I had a hunch when I saw the smirk on the frozen frame and what song you were playing that you were going to kill it. Kill it you did. This makes me smile until it hurts- Play that little Mya Moe into sawdust!!! Love the laugh at the end...thats exactly what I was after ;)

Mark- Hahahahaha- I was thinking "I wonder where he is going to go with this..." and then BLAMMO! We both started busting out laughing and then joined you for a sing-a-long. Hope you don't mind. Thanks for this one Mark

Lsamuels- I am sorry, I don’t yet know your real name- Oh man...This just dropped on a house that rarely agrees on anything, but we both sure do love Frank Turner. What a brilliant choice, and a fantastic cover. We joined you (I am saying this a lot tonight), I hope that was OK? Thank you so much for this one. Love this.

Mark- This is definitely in the ballpark. When this came out there were a bunch of songs that came out that were similar (The Hives, he Strokes) and all were great and a departure from what was on the radio at the time (thankfully). In any event- this is the whole package! Great playing, remarkable vocals, and a super cool video effect and history lesson to go along with it. Spectacular! Thanks for playing it for us

Jon- every joint in my body is screaming. All of them. I did not walk away from skateboarding at 45...I hobbled. In any event, this song is totally new to me (so thank you for the introduction) and one I liked quite a bit. As always, excellent playing and singing, but also (and often)- perfect selection. Thanks for playing it for us.
And round 2- This is about as perfect as a cover gets, thank you for playing it. What a great song I hadn't thought of in a long while (see what I did there?)...but on to the really important questions. Where have you kept that tape so that it would sill play, and where did you find a tape player? Really clever intro/outtro there.

Thanks again gang for another day of great entertainment. See you tomorrow. Bird day again but I will be here in the evening.

Last edited:

bobjking

Punk's not dead. But Reg is. Reg was my friend and band mate and pretty much a human embodiment of punk rock. This is Reg here...

Reg 004.jpgHe was loud, intentionally annoying, funny, chaotic, caring (although he genuinely couldn't care less what people thought of him) but ultimately self destructive. I miss him a lot.
FB_IMG_1515806994021.jpg
My memories of Reg are inseparably linked to so much music but none more so than The Cramps. The first of my friends to get a car, we'd drive around blasting music from his crappy tape deck. He also wore a really cool leather jacket with The Cramps logo and a huge skull painted on the back. I think of him whenever I listen to them. So, no surprises for guessing, here's a classic Cramps song from the A Date With Elvis album. It's an innocent little ditty about cats and dogs in the same way Grace Jones' Pull Up To The Bumper is about the intricacies of parallel parking...

X

Ila

Sorry, Dave, I just can't do this song justice. I wish I could. So the original will have to suffice. It's one of my favorites.

Reactions: TCK

mountain goat

even a punk enjoys his occasional cup of earl grey tea...

(edit to add: sigh. listening to it back and, as much as i tried to punkify it
w/ some fuzzy rhythm it still sounds like what it is - a love song written by a geek)

Last edited:

TCK

I managed to get Mel to play one quick and dirty with me. The first punk show she went to besides my band making asses out of ourselves was Bad Religion. I really don't think this is half bad given how much we practiced it (like once).

TCK

OK- brace yourselves.
[TCKRULE] This song was made the year I was born (1972), and I did not set out to play it. What I wanted to do was at least hit the parts of music that went into punk (because this theme has evolved I suppose) that we hadn't hit on (metal and glam rock). Sadly- that was plan B. Actually I wanted to play "When The s** Hits The Fan" by the Circle Jerks (which all sounds like a joke my fifth graders would be snickering about but could not find the chords. I could figure them out but time is of the essence. So...plan B.
At first, I really wanted to play some glam rock. I have done Slade's Run Runaway as have others very recently, so I settled on "Trash" By the New York Dolls. Iconic tune that totally works, and is my albatross. I cannot play a passing version of this song to save my life. Oddly enough, after a few beers for the sake of hydration, this song still comes out a hot mess (so, I have a request.)
So what are we left with? Alice Cooper. My father did not buy this in 1972...he probably decided to give it a go in 1974 or 75, which is really odd because the rest of what he was buying at the time was Bread. Ever heard Bread? This is like the Eagles on quaaludes and really scarred me deeply as a child...it is the worst thing I could ever imagine, but back to our story. Dad decided he was going to get rid of a bunch of older albums when he reached his Rick Nelson phase (ever wonder why I am the way I am...Here you go!) and walked out to the garage where I was helping clean and handed me this record. A man of few words, he just handed me the record and said "Rock and Roll is just too damn weird." This is about 1979. Hard to imagine that Alice Cooper didn't have a bit to do with emergence of punk (especially the make up), but this coupled with a chance renting of "Rock And Roll High School", and my love for anything Blondie (finding she is OLDER than my parents scarred me even more than Bread- born in 1945) during my formative ruined me for good.
While I would relish the chance to play Breads "Make It With You", preferably in a hot tub which we don't have. I instead chose to bang out "I'm Eighteen"...which I have loved since I was a wee child, and well- the wheels fell off. We decided to post the dang thing anyway as the first cut involved Melissa totally asleep. This is all we had in us to reach our goals. [/TCK RULE]
And just because I asked for it, some inspiration. This is so punk.
Someone please play it. Thank you in advance.
Now off to do my homework! We got some rad videos today!!!

Last edited:

TCK

Thank you all for how rad you are. We are slowing down here (in spite of my wishes to not do that), but boy I appreciate the response here. Thanks gang, this has been a lot of fun for me.
For tonight, my thoughts-

Bob- Here Kitty Kitty...I feel like this video has two things we need to cover, so I will parse it into those as I see it. First, your mate. I looked back after college (I cannot believe I went to college) and said my god, I got through (and dammit, those guys did not). I texted the Skinhead that fed me when I was a street kid on fathers day before I texted my father...I get how we feel about our people and I love that you have posted this for Reg, because that is the most punk rock thing I have seen all week. Bless up Reg, and all the others just like him, because every scene has them.
Now Reg, lemme tell you that your boy DELIVERED for you. Damn Bob, you brought this tune. So well played and sung. This is solid gold right here. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Joo- I reckon we all need some lemongrass to calm us down ...I love this. I do not ever have anxiety, but your video makes me aware and understanding.

Jon- Woah- you wrote that in 2004? I (as you know) am a huge fan of the things you wrote early on, because I kinda think your geek in love stuff is awesome. Love this one Jon-o, thanks for sharing it with us.

Ukudancer- How did we make it this far without a Green Day song? Thank you for filling that void, but I wish I was hearing your voice and not Billie Joes. Excellent playing here...but yeah. Sing for us.

_mourningdove

At first I was having a hard time with deciding what to learn for this week, because I didn’t seem to know too much of the punk my search was bringing up (and felt pretty basic and called out when my first thought was immediately “yay Green Day!” haha). When I expanded my search to pop-punk I realized that I suddenly had too many options, because apparently a lot of what I started listening to in middle school/ high school and beyond could be considered pop-punk.

aaronkb

This one goes out to the very nice lady on the Ukulele Lovers Facebook page who told me I was an absolute beginner ☺️

Really enjoyed this one, thanks for the prompt!

TCK

Hey gang! Sorry I am late to the party today- I took a whopper of a Red-tailed hawk (She is about a pound larger than any we see in hospital) named Poppy out to the local butterfly gardens to meet some new friends today, and while her energetic self had the time of her life (It has been a long few years not being able to take them anywhere), I for the third day in a row completely cooked my brains, and fell asleep for three hours when I got home. But I am here now and so glad to see these last few very excellent offerings!
My thought as always:

Wee- You are unstoppable this week, and this here is a sing-a-long! Excellent, and thanks for the introduction. I have only heard the 500 miles song from these guys, and it is Melissa's rage song- so I have not heard it often ;)

Chris (mourningdove- I love mourning doves, excellent bird handle ;) ) - Well there we go! So sorry you felt badly wanting to play Green Day- I just did not want ONLY Green Day. In any event, I am glad you dug a little deeper because this is really beautifully done. Excellent cover here, thanks for sharing it with us!
And we get two- Well there we go! So sorry you felt badly wanting to play Green Day- I just did not want ONLY Green Day. In any event, I am glad you dug a little deeper because this is really beautifully done. Excellent cover here, thanks for sharing it with us!

Aaron- Wait...she called you a beginner? I have been at this for years and cannot do this. Anyway- on to the song, I was 14 and all I had was a skateboard and a foul attitude, and a bunch of Black Flag records. Then I noticed this girl at school. She totally shot me down in flames because I didn't know who the cure was. Turned out for the better, because I knew exactly who they were the next day and they have remained one of my favorite bands since. You did a really great job on this- love your arrangement of it, and hope you don't mind if we added the words here in Cloverdale. Thanks for playing with us!

Ralf- When I was posting this theme and wondering what we were gonna get, the first thing I thought was “I wonder what Ralf will bring? It will be rad no matter what.” Well, this far exceeds expectations…UNBELIEVABLE bring here my friend. So glad this is the icing on this cake. I was smiling, but that hurt so much, so now I am just staring in awe at the only uke that matters. And yes at the end there. Just when I thought this damn country had gotten crazy as it could get the Supreme Court is like wait…Ginny, hold my beer.

All right...I guess this ends it? I don't like this part. Thank you all for your incredible contributions, It was nice meeting a few new people and subbing their channels, and I will see you all over on 541. Tomorrow I will send some money off to the kids in Petaluma. We had sixty songs this week which is pretty darn good, but Melissa said we are going to add a little more meat to that bone. Thanks Everyone!!!!!!
Oh yes- there is still time to add a few, if you do I am still watching. :)