Season 540- PUNKS NOT DEAD

Well TCK, you’ve lit a fire under my ass. You know I love punk and just may have to come out of retirement for this Season. I’ve been to the Phoenix. My little sister’s ex-husband grew up in Petaluma and after they married they lived there for a number of years. He was a drummer in several punk and indie bands and shared that very stage with other bands who went on to find their fame and fortune. That theater was a refuge for him. He had a tough childhood and he sees that place like a priest sees a church. As some of you may know I have been thru a lot in the past year. I’ve lost my mother and my 19 year old son. For me, punk rock is like therapy. I need to shake off the rust and get back in the game.

Well TCK, you’ve lit a fire under my ass. You know I love punk and just may have to come out of retirement for this Season. I’ve been to the Phoenix. My little sister’s ex-husband grew up in Petaluma and after they married they lived there for a number of years. He was a drummer in several punk and indie bands and shared that very stage with other bands who went on to find their fame and fortune. That theater was a refuge for him. He had a tough childhood and he sees that place like a priest sees a church. As some of you may know I have been thru a lot in the past year. I’ve lost my mother and my 19 year old son. For me, punk rock is like therapy. I need to shake off the rust and get back in the game.
Can't wait! You are loved and missed brother. 🌻

You can rest assured I had you in mind old friend when I posted this. Please bring us a song or two for the Phoenix…because it is a church. Dammit I am so glad you saw this- so sorry for the year you have had mate but as Jon-O said, loved and missed. Let’s play some songs together.

I am sure loving what we have so far but…
I've held off posting this performance, but the use of harmonics is amazing:

This is mind-blowing. I asked tongue in cheek, and there it is. Now, it is five chords right? That is a surplus for punk rock…waiting with baited breath.

Last edited:
Ok- today was weird for me aside from the great stuff happening here. I have not lived with my parents since I was 14, and every interaction to this day requires a few beers and some loud punk songs. Don’t get me wrong- they paid for college and are good people, we just are not a great fit sometimes.
So here we are a few deep playing chicken fried street punk. Sent a message to the old Skinhead who took me in back then thanking him (he is really old now lol), said a prayer for all the punk houses everywhere, and just went town.
Because Your Young- Cocksparrer

Looking forward to what you all bring tomorrow! Mr. Redfern, I do hope you played along ;)

Last edited:
Not too many tonight, but wanted to give a shout to
Jtsteam

I have to admit that this is my favorite Celt-Punk song, in spite of the fact that I also play accordion and have played many a Celt-Punk song. I blame Tony Hawk and his damn video games…in any event, this is perfect. Are you also playing the penny whistle? Do you want an accordion (because my god they keep appearing)…
Anyway, this is rad.

we will see the rest of you tomorrow ;)

In the day before I knew about the Ukulele Underground, and I enjoyed experimenting with sound and video I did this.

I first heard this being played on the streets of Helsinki by the "Leaping Frogs" rock-a billy band. It was only later I discovered that it was originally a song written by John Holt and originally performed by The Paragons with John Holt as lead singer. But was made popular by Blondie and later Atomic Kitten, and the Blondie was considered punk... and it contains to much info and personal history.

I’ve lost my mother and my 19 year old son. For me, punk rock is like therapy. I need to shake off the rust and get back in the game.
So very sorry for your losses. I find that playing is therapeutic and I hope you find some solace in it. I look forward to hearing you play.

I didn't realize that this was already covered by Rob when I recorded it, but screw it, here's my version of a zitherless "The Tide is High."

I don't have the cajones to do a cover of "Scotty Doesn't Know" but I sure hope one of the male members of UU does! God, how I wish I could get through that song without laughing.

Hello again, Dave! I just came across this, which seems very relevant to your week and to the current world situation. I might be the only one here who didn't know this, but "The Clash" recently gave permission to Ukranian punk band, "Beton," to rewrite the lyrics to "London Calling" to raise awareness of the war in Ukraine; worth a viewing ...

Hey Dave, I'm back again with another Jonathan Richman's song. To me, he totally has the spirit of PUNK.
His version with The Modern Lovers is sooo awesome and energetic, I sound about 200 years old when I compare my cover to his original.
I shouldn't. But I could not help myself. Anyway, I used some drawings I made back in 2018 when I hosted a week about insects.
Thanks for hosting!

Quick perusal today, and this is awesome so far!!!
TWO Jonathan Richman songs? That never happened to Pablo Picasso.
Two Blondie covers (which were in turn covers of a GREAT rocksteady song),
An awesome rewrite of the iconic Clash song? This is spectacular! I will be off commenting and viewing for a bit, be back later.
oh- Ila….DO IT!!!!
For now, an inspirational video. Sadly, the best scream ever in punk rock has passed away (Kim Shattuck of the Muffs), but these young ladies are carrying the punk rock torch, and they are just pretty rad.

Hello again, Dave! I just came across this, which seems very relevant to your week and to the current world situation. I might be the only one here who didn't know this, but "The Clash" recently gave permission to Ukranian punk band, "Beton," to rewrite the lyrics to "London Calling" to raise awareness of the war in Ukraine; worth a viewing ...

i covered 'Kyiv Calling' a couple of months ago ... ;)

i covered 'Kyiv Calling' a couple of months ago ... ;)

Oh, Charley ... I'm sorry! (I probably listened to it as well!)

"Careful" by Television, for concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of electric bass, voice, and tenor ukulele. Thanks for hosting Dave-O!

Legend has it that this was the first song played by the first band to play at the first show at the first punk club.

I was not a punk, as I had very eclectic musical tastes which precluded tribalism, but I really liked punk music, and am proud to say I was the only fan of this band (indeed was mocked for it) in my High School in the '70s. Nowadays, theyr'e classified as "proto-punk", or even "post-punk" (you really know you were ahead of your time when you are designated "post"-something that didn't even exist at the time).

Check out my "Uke-lear Destruction" record for more early punk classics

also, since Punk is the subject, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this EXCELLENT documentary on the Baldies, a group of anti-racist skinheads from Minneapolis. Dave and Paul I imagine you'll be feeling some nostalgia (as did I) as you watch this uplifting tale of our punk brethren.

Great - Television! I might be doing a number this week, but not Television, who were one of my fave bands from the era. (And still love Verlaine's solo stuff)

Y'all are making this way too easy on me and my wallet, but we had a few really great submissions today. Here is what I thought of them:

Joo- there is no way we could have this season without Richman, and you brought it so well. Thank you for playing this for us. Playing along here in the 'Dale

Wee- As always, a wild ride here! Thanks for sharing it Wee

Ila- Blondie is right up there with my all time favorites (as is John Holt, who wrote this), This is spectacular Ila- thank you for playing it for us. Hope you don't mind, I played along. Debbie is touring right now (with Blondie as it stands today)...and she was born in 1945! What a powerhouse she has been.

Joo- You are spot on- Richman is so punk we probably need to base a few rules off him. He has always been so against the grain that folks had to double back and try to figure out where the grain was, and why it was there in the first place. Another wonderful song, beautiful drawings, That you do much for playing it for us.

Please go check them out and hopefully we will have a bunch more tomorrow! Thanks folks for these songs.
For now- The Sex Pistols trying to cover my favorite Jonathan Richman song. This is hilarious.

Last edited:
The Ramones in a blues style using 7th chords... well you did say you could perform the song in a style different from the original, which is what I tend to do anyway.

Top Bottom