Season 546...can we revisit Season 54?

Bohemian Waxwing a rare visiter to our yard, eating berries from crab apple tree.

Reactions: TCK
What a great evening! Made dinner (I have built myself a cracking outdoor kitchen- that's why the kitchen sessions are rare now- I do all the cooking). Smoked a few pork chops, did some romano beans with lemon zest on the griddle, chopped up some fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden and hit it with balsamic, and slid down a musical rabbit hole. Catherine McClellan, per Jim's comments...folks, if you have not heard her, go hear her. Her rendition of Snowbird is powerful, but she does another song, The Raven Sun...and yep, I have a request. Go learn it gang, such a great tune.

I like all music really, but it dawned on me that I rarely play spiritual/gospel tunes...and then I was vaguely reminded of a video I had seen where the hosts asks the performer if it is OK that everyone joins in, and the performer says he would not want to do the song unless everyone helped out.
Ugh! What is that video?? I racked my brain until I was surrounded by snoring dogs and sleeping spouses, but I remembered it finally.
When I tell you all to go get your ukes, I am only half being cheeky...the world is a better place when we are all playing. Anyway- here is the video that gave me fits all night...and it's a bird song!!!

SO of course after all that- here is me doing it. Go get your ukes.

Good night folks, can't wait to see what you bring me tomorrow. I will be on late...got a lot of baby birds to feed.

This song has long been my ukulele superpower. It's about time I resurrected it.

Tired starlings x 2

Accompanying chorus of Queensland birds no extra charge.

An alarm on my phone cut off the last few verse chord repeats at the end, but no worries. I'm missing someone to play the Clapton solo for me, so you didn't need those anyway.

When I rehearsed it, a trio of sulphur-crested cockatoos (large white parrots with striking yellow head feathers), flew to the nearest tree behind me and began squawking loudly. I was trying to work out whether:
  1. They liked my song and were joining in
  2. They hated it and were warning their fellows
  3. They thought I was a cockatoo
  4. <Fill in your favorite theory here>
I'm so sorry I missed getting them on video. I hope they come back.

Last edited:
Warning Dave, This has no ukulele and it's not a Seasonista, so not eligible for the playlist. Ontario musician Ian Tamblyn (guitar and hammered dulcimer) made a recording featuring bird calls that I thought you might enjoy. Here's Over My Head.

Good morning, Dave. It is officially the end of my summer vacation as I start two weeks of "professional development" (HAH!) before the children come back to begin first grade. And despite the fact that my digit is still a lovely shade of purple, I decided that I cannot, simply cannot, be without my therapeutic ukulele playing, pain be damned. So here is a short but sweet entry for the Season that I don't think anyone else has covered so far.

I like birds. About 8 years ago I heard a huge thump on my kitchen window. I looked out the back door and there was a Coopers Hawk sitting on my backyard wall. My first thought was, "wow...why did he crash into my kitchen window?" I watched him chill on the wall for about 10 minutes -- I figured he was dazed. I went out my back door and he immediately flew up into a nearby tree. Upon inspection of my kitchen window, I found a VERY dazed dove on the ground right below it. I reached for the dove and it fluttered onto the roof. In 5 seconds there was a puff of feathers and the hawk went off with it. This changed my life. I thought "dang...that hawk must be really hungry". I put out a bird feeder/buffet. I was amazed at the backyard guests including tons of Love birds which are thriving in Arizona. The rental house next door has a palm tree that has not been trimmed in at least 15 years and I hope they never do. Barn owls are there all the time and American Kestrels nest there every year. Those babies in the pic often roosted on the palm tree in my yard. I have instructed the hawks to not eat the green ones but they can have all the pigeons and doves they want. Oh...I have a song too. Sorry it's a repeat of a previous one in this challenge but I got my wife to finally do a challenge with me!
IMG_0303.jpgLove Birds.JPG

Hello again, Dave! This is one of THE most annoying songs EVER ... and, because I am sure that you will all want to join in, I have put up the words (not that there are very many of them.) Caution: there is a mini F-bomb towards the end which was added for dramatic emphasis. If you have the health and strength to get as far as the end, you will see that it's payback time for the purveyor of this appalling song!

No music here, but most days this beautiful green woodpecker comes to forage for ants and bugs in the lawn just outside my door. It’s always a joy and a privilege to watch him at work.

This has had waaay more views in less than a day than most of my music vids get in a month - should I take the hint!? 😬😆

Season of the Ukulele 546 "has gone to the birds," and asks for songs that mention a bird at least once. I don't know if the morning bird in this song is animal or metaphor, but I like it either way.

This is another of my 50/90 songs that I wrote a couple of weeks ago, and I realised that I have to post it because it was inspired by seeing a bird while out for a walk one evening. The bird in question was a magpie, and as a silly superstition inherited from my dad, I wished it a good evening, as I always do. And I started wondering what other superstitions people might have... you'd think someone with this many would have more luck:

Incidentally it also mentions "my football team" which in my case is Newcastle United, who are nicknamed "the magpies".

Peruvian tune about a bluddy great big bird. I saw one of these fly
at a Bird of Prey sanctuary in Settle. I didn't realise until then quite how big they are....

Top Bottom