SEASON 556- 1972

OK, this is seeing the light of day because you Dave you shouldn't be the one bringing the Bowie to your own party. I don't mind saying, this is very likely the best video I've ever done. Happy bday week Dave. Thanks for hosting. This was a fun one.

Spanish Fandango - learned from Norman Blake's 1972 Home In Sulphur Springs LP

Spanish Fandango is a tune that has several variations and is usually played on guitar in open G tuning (DGDGBD) that has become known as "Spanish tuning", even by folks who have never heard the tune. I like it on the 5-string banjo, also in open G (gDGBD), but I've left the uke in C6 re-entrant tuning (gCEA).
I first heard it on Libba Cotten's first LP, Negro Folk Songs & Tunes in the early sixties. Libba called it Spanish Flang Dang and played it very differently from Norman's version.
I only listened to it for the first time in years after making the video and realised that I have taken some liberties with the tune. . .Sorry 'bout that.

Not gonna get one in for a variety of excuses, both legitimate and non. But did want to drop in and say a very Happy (belated) Birthday to you Dave, and to thanks everyone for the wonderful music this week.

OK- there are definitely some songs that should have been here and were not…No Paul Simon? No Bowie? No Thin Lizzy? Perhaps this crowd does not know me as well as folks did in the early days…Oh well, still had a week of awesome songs.
This was still the greatest 50th birthday ever (Oh- BEV might have had a few shout outs on hers ). OK- on to the work at hand:

Yukio, Dirty Work- I was a month old when this was released but it is definitely part of my lexicon. I really love Your approach on covers and this is no exception. Thanks so much for working this up for us

Elmann, Little Willy
- Oh my GOD…I am so glad SWEET made it here. This is brilliant my friend. It’s like the week I hoped for made it here the last day- we have had some really awesome music this week, but this is the deep dive I was craving. Thank you sir.
And Metal Guru… Metal Guru is that you? I all but begged for this one, thank you so much for playing it for me. My smile right now hurts. Thank you again. You brought some important stuff in at the end here and I appreciate it.

UkuleleDaddy, Ziggy Stardust- My snow white tan is finally basking in what I hoped people would play this week, and between you and Elmann we have got it. This is magic my friend, thank you for playing it for me, and my goodness “Oh s** I am Gonna Keep Going” and “Awe s** where am I?” are my favorite parts of this video. Thank you old friend.

Jim, Spanish Fandango- Yay! Another instrumental! I am not sure if Bob Wills version ties in here, I think it does…wonder if they added the words? Anyway,it is a different Melody so probably not…and this is really lovely Jim, thank you for playing it for us. Never ever talk about mistakes at the end mate- I heard nothing of the sort, Well done.

So, I believe this is likely it (sigh). You guys know what I am going to do tomorrow (I think)...I open that up to anyone who wants to play along. Good Night Irene. Post your videos of it and lets put this season to bed. Thank you all for an unforgettable birthday ;)

Just under the wire, Aladdin Sane was a 1973 album, but this song was recorded at the tail end of 1972. One of my favourite Bowie songs, off what is possibly my favourite Bowie album, hard, impossible even, as it is, to pick a favourite. Anyway, great Season Dave. Any season that features the 70s is a winner in my eyes.

Reactions: TCK
First, let me wish you a belated Happy Birthday, Dave!

Second, I've got some excuses too, not all of them you'd buy.
Anyway, I found it rather challenging to find a Public Domain song from 1972, and I gave up after a while. So I started looking at notable musical events from 1972, and the passing of Mahalia Jackson was definitely big early on that year. One of the songs she recorded is Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho, which should be PD, although I wasn't able to find the proper sheet music. (I did find the Jubilee Songs by M. G. Slayton in A Collection of Revival Hymns and Plantation Melodies by Marshall W. Taylor, and whilst the lyrics are there, the melody does not match.)

I based my version on Dr Uke's, but I cut the intro, the last verse, and improvised the ending. My uke is currently tuned down a semitone, and there was no time for a second take.

Background information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Fit_the_Battle_of_Jericho
Arrangement (more or less)
https://www.doctoruke.com/_player/joshuafitthebattle.html

Happy belated birthday Dave and thanks for a great week! I'd totally have taken the Bowie hint but last week got really busy, alas, and I'm only just catching up with the playlist now... I'm glad you got some in the end though :).

Reactions: TCK
a real stinker from 1972
a louden wainwright III song
I met Louden Wainwright III twice. The first time was during the weeks long protest in NYC USA called Occupy Wallstreet. I tried to get into the protester encampment, but the police forced me away. As I was circling the block, I came upon a guy playing guitar and singing. He didn't have an audience, because all the action was around the corner. Turns out it was LW III. A few years later, we attended a concert by LW Iii and his beautiful daughter in Madison Square Park, NYC USA. I met him again at the merchandise table.

Sorry I am late gang- long day at bird land and then exciting day for baseball (I know that is ironic...most find baseball as exciting as watching paint dry)...
Actually, Dave, I find watching paint dry preferable to watching most organized and/or professional sports.

I had a wonderful conversation years ago with a professional artist about how the pigments change while moisture evaporates (And a method he used stop the evaporation, basically putting the color into stasis.)

-Kurt​

I can't believe we have two more! This is AWESOME!!!
One Man and his Uke, Drive In Saturday- YES!!!!! We got another Bowie from the crowd in under the wire! Thank you sir! And a great one at that, also in under the wire (Recorded 12/9/1972). Perfect choice, and you have done a wonderful job with it. Thanks for bringing me some Bowie- love the abrupt ending :)

Sabine, Joshua Fought The Battle Of Jericho- OK, this is amusing because I am immediately transported back to elementary school where this was one of the songs we learned in music class. I loved the songs our teacher picked for us (and her autoharp- I need an autoharp). This is a great sounding version here, thank you for playing it for us!

Alas, it is now completely super over. Excellent party folks! I know at the beginning of the week I said I would pick a favorite, but how the heck am I going to do that? I have liked each song as much as the previous, and have enjoyed watching the 70 songs you folks brought this week. I think I am just going to play us out and see y'all next time.
Cheers
TCK

Tonights inspirational music from the host. The New York Dolls did not make a record until 1973, but they were playing and they went on a tour in England in 1972. Their drummer at the time was Billy Murcia, who before the last show of the English tour accidentally overdosed. In an attempt to revive him, he was force fed coffee and aspirated. Gone at 21, 11/6/1972
In any event- I love the dolls and this demo featuring him is to me is one of my favorite pieces of music ever recorded. In spite of this record being released in 73...this is fair game folks (hint hint).

I was at that show, Oct 29, 1972, Empire Pool, Wembley (now renamed as Wembley Arena, but the seating's still laid out like it's a swimming pool). I remember it well. The Dolls were supporting the Faces. It's fair to say, it wasn't exactly their audience. :)

Sabine, Joshua Fought The Battle Of Jericho- OK, this is amusing because I am immediately transported back to elementary school where this was one of the songs we learned in music class. I loved the songs our teacher picked for us (and her autoharp- I need an autoharp). This is a great sounding version here, thank you for playing it for us!
Thanks for a fun week Dave. I taught school for thirty some odd years and every school i taught at had a dusty old out-of-tune Autoharpin a storeroom. I would take them out, make any repairs necessary, clean 'em up, tune 'em and use them in class, Whne other teachers saw how easy it was to chord a song on the 'harp, they also wanted to use them, so we'd make a sign-up sheet. When I moved on to another school, I'd ask the teachers at the old school how much use the Autoharp was getting, they'd say, "Oh it went out of tune, so it's back in the storeroom and nobody uses it. Perhaps with the advent of electronic tuners, teachers will get them out and start using them again.
In the seventies I was playing at a festival in Cobourg and when I came off the stage, a guy asked me if I played the Autoharp. I told him that I didn't own one and he asked me if I wanted one. He gave me an Appalachian 'harp from the sixties all in pieces. I took it home and converted it into a G/D semi-diatonic and it'sow my favourite Autoharp. I have 5 or 6 of them now in different keys and love 'em.

Here are my G/D Appalachian and an earlier chromatic that was a gift from my son.
autoharps on couch (2).jpg

Top Bottom