What a night!!! You fine folks are going to have me scrambling on all the new music threw out there...and smiling over the favorites that got trotted out today.
Well, I have done my homework and I left anyone off the playlist on accident, please let me know. Here are my thoughts on tonight's body of music:
Jon, I Saw The Light
- Of course I like this song…but I think I like it even better now! The playing is perfect, the vocals second to none. I have heard you play a LOT of covers, I am with Joo here, this is one of your finest mate. Thank you.
And back for more down the Hurley rabbit hole with The Girl I Love
. I wish I was more familiar with his stuff, I was so much younger when we saw him and had the Son Volt stars in my eyes. This is an excellent song- love that you just sat down and flat knocked it out while we were bantering. Another good one mate- thanks.
Pa, He Gives us All His Love
- Was hoping Randy would get here-kind of an icon for the era. Not as informed about his music as I ought to be (his biggest hits here have been kind of off-putting), but what a beaut this is! Probably because it is in capable hands, excellent stuff here- thanks for playing it for us.
Bob, Song Sung Blue
- The forces aligned here so you HAD to bring this, and as always, a cracking job with it. Really well done here all around…I really want to move the roses back a bit though
Thanks for playing this for us.
Wee, Political Science
- When it rains it pours- two Randy Newman songs right out of the shoot. I am gonna have to explore this guy more. Boy does this remain as true as ever. I think, sadly, we have indeed lost our minds. Thanks for dropping the big one for us.
Val, Brand New Key
- “returned with indecent haste” is a phrase I will from this day forward be borrowing. I love this and all the joy built into it here (and bonus instruments!). My first girlfriend was named for this song (well, she was named Melanie after its singer) and we would listen to it…thought it was a cute quirky old song about roller skating. Listening to it now…I see something else entirely is being implied- love it!
Rick, Jamestown Ferry
- Thank goodness this is here! Back when we felt like superheroes with our COVID shots, we went to go see Charlie on a friend's recommendation (they were not going because they were not yet vaccinated). I was digging his set…until he played this. Mel turned around smiling because she knows I love this one. Anyway, perfect rendition of a song I play around here ALL THE TIME. Great selection, thanks for this. Love the cat percussion too
UkuleleDaddy, Muswell Hillbilly
- I too am more fond of the live version, and you know how I feel about the brothers Davies. You played the hell out of this one, just fit you like a glove mate. I hope you didn’t mind it turning into a sing a long here in the ‘Dale. Thanks so much for letting me drag you out for these, and thanks for bringing that one for us. Hoping for more!
- I love your intro on the forum
I have to admit that I know nothing about Uriah Heep…so you sent me to do some research! I can say now with all certainty that this is an excellent and inspired cover. You really gave it your all on that chorus, perfect. Thanks for the introduction to what I think is Prog-rock? Is it Metal? I dunno, you played the heck out of this one. Nice work.
Tomcat Wombat, Keep On
- Another one I have never heard…which is great. What a great set of lyrics there, and words to live by. Went and gave it a go…I think I know the steel payer here on the original- what a great song! Very nice cover here and thank you for the introduction, and for playing it for us.
Jim, Suffer To Sing The Blues
- LOVE THE RECORD FLEX! And what a lineup on that record right there…little piece of history. Another one that is going to send me down a rabbit hole once I am finished with my homework because I know so very little about his work (Psychedelic Moods has a bit of a cult following- I thought I recognized that name). Nicely played and sung, well done!
Kurt, Will The Circle Be Unbroken
- Love the NGDB! Love that you chose a traditional tune from that record as well, and did a great job handling it here. The acoustics in that room are fantastic, thanks for bringing this for us old friend! Hope you don't mind me singin and pickin along.
See y'all tomorrow- keep em coming!