SEASON 556- 1972

I'm reading a book at the minute called "The Vinyl Frontier". I bought it because, with a title like that, of course I bought it. It's about the golden records that were put on the Voyager space probes, how they came about, how the contents were chosen and so on. It's really interesting, at least for a nerd like myself.

Anyway, before that, there were the Pioneer probes, launched in 1972 (hooray!) on which were attached plaques with diagrams explaining where we live and what we know, along with some utter filth depicting some naked humans (or at least, that's what the media claimed at the time). The idea being that if aliens ever found them, they'd know a bit about us. So, this afternoon I wondered what aliens would make of us. I've included an image of the plaque at the end, with said filth that will no doubt get me banned from youtube:

Anyway, before that, there were the Pioneer probes, launched in 1972 (hooray!) on which were attached plaques with diagrams explaining where we live and what we know, along with some utter filth depicting some naked humans (or at least, that's what the media claimed at the time). The idea being that if aliens ever found them, they'd know a bit about us.
Aliens will think we're a-holes, especially after sending them unsolicited dick pics.

Last edited:
Well this is off to an amazing start innit? Thank you all so much for this incredible bit of entertainment! I feel like I just got a brand new pair of roller-skates for my birthday and you guys have a brand new key! Couple of things first... I have only played one of their songs for the seasons, but I love SLADE, and they are clearly the most represented artist so far. I LOVE group Ukin...and that was pretty awesome, and I am not wearing any...
Wait, this is public. OK, down to the Nitty Gritty. Such a huge smile on my face right now, thank you all.

Pa, Dead Skunk - A real stinker indeed! First, I told them it started when you got here and I was right. Second...my father has sung this for every dead skunk in the middle of the road we have ever passed. Third, this is a cracking version mate- thanks for kicking things off!

Wendy and Rita, I can See Clearly Now - Excellent choice ladies, and Rita- nice to meet you. This is a fantastic version of one of my favorite songs. My love for reggae started with a guy from the US who nailed copying it, in the back seat of a scorching hot Buick LeSabre. Love your rendition here and the memories it brought back- RIP Johnny

Flatbaroque, Call The Doctor- This had to be here! Love this song and your rendition..nicely executed, and some brilliant harp as a bonus! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Wee, First time- You know- I like the way you have done it here. It is just perfect mate...and really fits better with the lyrics than any other version I have heard. Thanks for sharing this one.

Joo, Embers- Yes indeed one of you was born in 1972! If I recall, about a month before me? I dunno. What a beautiful treat this song is. I am kind of lost in it and daydreaming…which is where I like to be. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Xommen, Sunday Bloody Sunday- I would be lying if I said I was not hoping you would take that bait there. Excellent rendition of a song that recalls some of the historical events of the year of our birth, one I REALLY hoped would be here this week. Really well done…and I certainly hope you will return with one of your self penned tunes. Thanks for this one.

Wendy and a bunch of BUMS, Leroy Brown- Well this is a hell of a lot of fun innit? And a nice bring- one that was recorded in 72, but not released until 73. Deep dig there. In any event, I am happy to have been introduced to these fine people, please send them my regards, and thanks for sharing this one with us!

Joo, I’m Worried I’m Worried- This one is a new one to me, thank you for the introduction! Sucha sweet song so well done, and I personally love the mouth trumpet! Thanks for bringing this one for us!

JT Steam, All Fall Down- This is one I don’t know, but plays right into my wheelhouse, what a great set of lyrics, love this! Really nicely done, and I love the melodica! I think the two instruments are best friends. Great submission here.

Charley, Take Me Back ‘ome- I LOVE SLADE...and that new hat is cracking!!! This is fantastic mate- smiling ear to ear here in Cloverdale and playing along. So happy this made the week.

Val, Long Haired Lover From Liverpool- Now this is a deep dig! I had no idea this song even existed...love the added history on it. Such charming little tune here and I am grateful for the bonus instruments. Probably weird being sung by a nine year old, but I am off to verify that now ;)

Jim- Those were the days- Boy the way Glen Miller played....this was the number one show when I was a born (I should not remember it), and the lyrics in part are like knives to me, but I know every word by heart. Excellent rendition especially without an Edith- perfect bring.

Bystander, Lean On Me- I am so happy this song is here!!! I know for a fact that it is SUPER hard to pull off, and this is beautiful. I have always loved this song, tried to play it 100,000, failed miserably…and enjoying this thoroughly. Thank you.

Steve, Slade Medley- Oh Hell Yes Steve!!!! I just smiled so hard my face broke, I LOVE Slade. So chuffed that you brought a Medley of their songs- so expertly executed. Melissa thinks I have lost it because I am singing at the top of my lungs right along with you. LOVE this. I should mention that Slider is one of my favorite records as well…

Sir Steam, They Don’t Wear Clothes- You wrote this? That fast? This my friend is brilliant. As a science nerd, this is a song that needed to be written when they made those plaques. 2:15…love this part. My hat is off my friend, thanks so much for writing this for us.

I cannot wait to see what you guys come up with for tomorrow. Thanks gang! If I forgot to add anyone to the playlist, please let me know.

Tonights inspirational music from the host. The New York Dolls did not make a record until 1973, but they were playing and they went on a tour in England in 1972. Their drummer at the time was Billy Murcia, who before the last show of the English tour accidentally overdosed. In an attempt to revive him, he was force fed coffee and aspirated. Gone at 21, 11/6/1972
In any event- I love the dolls and this demo featuring him is to me is one of my favorite pieces of music ever recorded. In spite of this record being released in 73...this is fair game folks (hint hint).

Thanks for hosting again so soon after your last one, Dave!
This is a song by Michael Hurley from his 1972 album Hi Fi Snock Uptown. I just discovered Michael Hurley's music and I am in love with it!
This is the first time I tried mouth trumpet...didn't know how to do it properly, just did it anyway! I forgot to try some mouth trumpet at the end, so I added some over.

I'm a huge Hurley fan, Joo! Love this!
I was introduced to his music over 20 years ago by my mate, Mick while we were painting his house. This is a polaroid of me and Mick with Michael in 2002 in Leicester (Michael signed the photo too once it had developed!). A great night!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1665381992208.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665381992208.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 16
I'm a huge Hurley fan, Joo! Love this!
I was introduced to his music over 20 years ago by my mate, Mick while we were painting his house. This is a polaroid of me and Mick with Michael in 2002 in Leicester (Michael signed the photo too once it had developed!). A great night!
Fell down this rabbit hole, didn’t realize I have seen him with Son Volt. Didn’t meet him though- dang. The song triggering the foggy memory is Sweet Lucy for me.

Let's drop the big one now. Political Science" is a song written and performed by singer-songwriter Randy Newman on his 1972 album, Sail Away. In going along with the theme of the rest of the album, the song is a satire of a particular part of American culture and history, namely its foreign policies... how topical nowadays that it is even a subject for debate, as if there is a difference between a tactical and a strategic nuclear weapon and one is worse than the other.,. have we lost our minds?

Reactions: TCK
I'm reading a book at the minute called "The Vinyl Frontier". I bought it because, with a title like that, of course I bought it. It's about the golden records that were put on the Voyager space probes, how they came about, how the contents were chosen and so on. It's really interesting, at least for a nerd like myself.

Anyway, before that, there were the Pioneer probes, launched in 1972 (hooray!) on which were attached plaques with diagrams explaining where we live and what we know, along with some utter filth depicting some naked humans (or at least, that's what the media claimed at the time). The idea being that if aliens ever found them, they'd know a bit about us. So, this afternoon I wondered what aliens would make of us. I've included an image of the plaque at the end, with said filth that will no doubt get me banned from youtube:

yes but no but yes but would they be able to say what is a woman?

50 Years ago the world was a very different place. We didn't have online ukulele forums or cell phones for starters. No microwave ovens...and those of us around back then have seen the rise and demise of things like the VHS and DVD, and the CD...those things were coming as Intel was developing the first single chip microprocessor behind closed doors. Richard Nixon was man of the year. That did not age well.
The top song of the the year was "The First Time Ever I saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack, and we watched "All In The Family", not knowing how absolutely crass it was. The Staples Singers took us there and Bill Withers told us we could lean on him. Micheal sang a love song to a rat, Chuck made a hit singing about his ding-a-ling, and halter skelter in a summer swelter the birds flew off to a fall out shelter...Curtis was the Superfly.
And I was born.
On October 13th, 1972 to be precise. Pretty famous plane crash happened that day.
This weeks theme is 1972, your challenge is as follows:
Your song was written in or released in 1972 (and there are some real gems in there...livin on the road my friend)
Was part of an album released in 1972 (Ziggy Stardust and the Metal Guru are coming to this party)
Are by a musician who was born in 1972 (three members of Green Day were... so was Eminem and Ginger Spice, and Liam Gallagher! )
Mention 1972 (yes, they exist)
Or are about a world event that occurred in 1972 (Sunday Bloody Sunday comes to mind, but there are others, bet the Equal Rights Amendment has a few).
Songwriters, apply your craft to any of the above topics and it will be received with a smile and a warm welcome.
Collaborations with any instrument are totally fine as long as the Uke is front and center and the Ukulele player is dressed like Ziggy Stardust (OK- half way kidding on that last part).
There’s no song limit...There will never be a song limit!
The Season will run from when Pa decides to start it to when Ralf puts it to bed (or from 12.01am Sunday 9th October to 11.59pm Sunday 16th October (Hawaiian time).
HAVE FUN!!!!
I might have a prize or two for my favs- we will see. looking for that perfect piece of 1972 ephemera. Maybe I will send you my damn bronze baby shoes. I have no idea why my parents needed metal shoes. Because 1972.
All right, put on your Leisure Suit... off we go!

Your PLAYLIST
TCK- Just checking….Does a song qualify if it was written in the 1930’s but was re-released by two different artists in 1972?

Hello again, Dave ... I seem to have returned with indecent haste, but I've always fancied doing this song - or to be more correct, I've always fancied doing the later version by The Wurzels, "I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester," but that didn't come out till 1976, so it doesn't qualify. So this is a rather hectic version of the original, "Brand New Key," by Melanie. I have added a bit of percussion and - for some reason best known to myself - a swanee whistle, which I dug up when I was looking for said percussion. Voila ...

A very nice year for music, indeed.

Tanya Tucker’s first album was released that year, and this song was part of a two-sided single that reached #5 on the country charts. She was 13 at the time, and dealt with some adult material, to say the least.

Charley Crockett recorded this a couple years ago, and he did a fantastic version. I saw him at Merlefest last year. Wow, is he good.

Nevada kitty helped with percussion.

Top Bottom