SEASON 556- 1972

SOTU 556 - 1972
The gospel song, "Turn Your Radio On", has been covered by dozens of bluegrass, country and gospel artists since Albert Brumley wrote the tune in 1939. In 1972, Ray Stevens released the arrangement that remains my personal favorite. Half a century later, during my lunch hour, I've desecrated it for SOTU 556, with a library-borrowed Donner DUS-1. Enjoy!

Happy birthday, Dave! I wish you love, joy, birds, dogs, kids, and music today and everyday!

This 1972 Neil Young song's title describes something you've shared with us here in the Seasons for years...

And Mel, if you read this, please give Dave a bonus birthday hug from me!

We played this at our "1972" driveway concert this summer. Here's Brian (concert ukulele, whistling, singing) and Borfus (bass and singing) playing a twenty one song medley of pop music from 1972. How many do you recognize?

thanks for hosting Dave!

Season of the Ukulele 556 asks for songs from 1972. Wikipedia says that Jim Croce's breakthrough came in 1972 with his third album, "You Don't Mess Around with Jim." The album had three singles that charted - "Operator," "Time in a Bottle,", and the title track. Two ballads and a thumper, and I've always liked Jim's thumpers better.

This was my second thought for this week. First, I tried "From the Beginning" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. But I found I missed the bass notes of the guitar too much, even when playing on the baritone. Then I saw Wendy's (Ukecan1) post of "Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown" and got inspired to go see how Big Jim was doing....

First of all, a very happy bday to our esteemed host, TCK.
It blows my mind that this thing keep on chugging along (the Seasons, not you Dave). 556 weeks. Crazy.
One of my favorite weeks was Ska week, Season 78, where Dave, Alan and I, and I think Rex as well, covered the entire Harder They Come soundtrack. What a blast that was. Turns out that album came out in 1972. I figured I'd mangle a couple of those tunes for old times sake. It's a true dumpster fire. Enjoy.

Happy birthday, Dave, and thank you for hosting this week, and I'm sorry I have not been around much lately! It might be summer before I return as an active participant, but I'm still hoping to catch up on some listening...

Happy Birthday, Dave! May all of Cloverdale rejoice!
See the YT notes for some commentary. I accidentally recorded two versions of the tune, the second had no video.

I don't even know what to say...boy did y'all come on strong today! Thank you. Doing my homework here has made this a great birthday.
My kids used every excuse to shoot me with silly string today, and gifted me with every JoJo Siwa item they could find (when they ask me to change a song I am playing in class I play JoJo as a joke) and FORTY POUNDS of potatoes. The potatoes are a long story. I will spare you.
At the end of the day, my fourth graders gifted me the finest gift you can give someone from the Bay Area in California...It's Its. I thought every blessing I could count was there today....
Nope, it was here. My goodness you guys reached for the brass ring and grabbed it today!

Flatbaroque, Thick as a Brick- Nice sound you are coaxing out of that Guitalele, mine has me all thumbs every time. Most excellent cover, and a great set of lyrics here, so glad you got to play an old favorite for us! Thank you.

Wee, Walk on the Wild Side- It would be silly if this song was not here! Thanks for sharing this with us for this week

Joo, Rules- Sweet little ditty about something that was, yeah, really stupid. I am glad Singapore is very different now…to think of just the money for local people lost due to being too conservative…sigh Thanks for writing and performing this for us

Rick, Honky Tonk Blues- Thanks for the well wishes mate, and I sure hope you don’t mind me singing along again. I have loved this song for every one of my fifty years, cracking cover here mate. Thank you!

OldScruggsFan, Turn On Your Radio- Sir, you did not desecrate anything here (but that did make me laugh)...Excellent choice and such a great old song that would have never thought could be connected to 1972. Really great stuff here, gained yourself a new subscriber. Thank you.

Ralf, Heart Of Gold- This song had to be here, and thank you sir for your kind words. As always, this is excellent and I look forward to your entries, always good, never know what to expect. Thanks mate. And Im gettin old ;)
Disclaimer- Ralf played early- this ain’t over yet!

Brian, holy crap every song made in ‘72- OK…lets start with the themed shirts. You've got to be kidding me! Ok. I don’t need to prattle on about how brilliant you are or this is- if you want me to I will. I recognized every song here…but you had me at Popcorn. Popcorn had to be here, but so many that won’t be attempted (backstabbers…). Puppy love backed up to All the Young Dudes…the Perfect Harmonies…I need someone to lean on while I listen to this music. This is spectacular fellows. Thank you so much for playing it for us. You don’t tell me why you struck out on this mission…are you also a product of 1972? My head is simply exploding.

Wim, Woorden- Missed yours I reckon, but Happy birthday fellow half centurion! I love when folks sing in a different language for us…I can barely manage in English. Took a look at the translations- dig this tune mate, thanks for writing and playing it for this week . Love the bowler- there was a film released in ‘71 where they featured prominently ;)

Haberkow, You Don’t Mess Around With Jim- Wow- what a cover mate! We were singing that the minute we saw Wendy’s group doing Leroy Brown. I think that the fact that Jim Croce fell off the face of the earth after this record makes it more important that he is here, and this as well done a cover as I have ever heard. Nice work.

UkuleleDaddy, Harder They Come- Man- to conjure up the spirits from 9 years ago and get this here…reggae week, man that was fun! “OK- lets cover the whole damn album.” Probably one of my favorite seasons ever, and probably one of the most frustrating (Dammit that is NOT reggae!!!), but man this is making me smile. I love a good dumpster fire, and I love a good tune played in a mini-van. Thanks for this so much. Had to be here for sure. Way to stick the landing!!!!
Rivers Of Babylon- So dang happy these are here…I really hope you don’t mind a sing-a-long. Thanks man…I knew this was ‘72, figured no one would touch it. You can imagine my smile I am sure.

Good Uke Boy, I Need You- You play beautifully. I wish I could do this…alas. I was meant to bash away and sing at the top of my lungs and wait to be stopped in my tracks with my mouth wide open for players who play like this to come along and knock my socks off. This is awesome.

Pa, Shoichi Yokoi- OK, I did. WOW. This cat lived in the Jungles of Guam for 28 years? I think this is a Paoriginal- you will chime in if I am mistaken, but thank you for this fascinating history lesson. Short and sweet like you like ‘em, and packed with a great punch. This is excellent mate.

OK- I only have two issues with how this week is going. We have no Telegram Sam, and how are we getting through this without Bowie? I cannot believe no one has played Bowie yet (even Brian...who played 20 songs). Know what? I ain't doing it. It is up to you guys. Dig deep and give me Five Years please. Stardust is one of my favorite records EVER.
OK, Much love, see you all tomorrow, and keep them coming!

Last edited:
I'm going to go for something a little different and cover Pras (born on Oct. 19 1972) rap song Ghetto Supastar featuring Mya and Ol Dirty Bastard. You'll notice that this song samples the melody of Islands In the Stream. Fun fact, I actually didn't like this song when it came out, but I enjoy it now that I'm older.

Also, I'm posting a Reddit link since this is copyright protected and YT will not show it to anyone besides myself.

Reactions: TCK
On 2nd thought. A 100% instrumental version made it through, so here it is with no lyrics. I'm particularly proud to learn this song. I learned the uke melody by reading sheet music. Not only that, the tab for the chorus on the bass was wrong, so I had to figure it out by ear, which wasn't too bad since I already knew the key / scale was in F# major.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCK
I’ve always had a soft spot for The Stylistics brand of Philadelphia Soul, mostly cos I loved Russell Thompkins Jr’s falsetto voice. I was listening to glam, Bowie, Roxy, Slade and Sweet in the early 70s, but I loved Soul music too. This was written by Thom Bell, Anthony Bell and Linda Creed, who wrote some of the classic Philadelphia Soul for the likes of The Delfonics, The Spinners ( not the UK folk group btw) and the O’Jays ( not an Irish folk group) . It was released in October 1972, and I need to edit the vid title as there should be an “ I’m” before “Stone….”

Oh, and a very happy birthday Kid 👍

A belated ‘happy birthday’, Dave, and thanks for hosting this week! :)

And thank you for the opportunity to cover this song - it’s one I remember from childhood. It’s a slow, sad love song - probably my favourite genre of music. I loved it then and I love it now!

Johnny's Garden by Manassas (Stephen Stills)

This might be my favorite album from 1972. It's a double album in which each side has a different theme and style of music. Happy belated B-Day, TCK!

Lots to choose from in 1972. That was the time I was really starting to listen to music. This #556 songlist is like a mixtape I might have made.

Top Bottom