Season 566 - Seasonal Songs

YorkSteve

Still strummin'
UU VIP
Reaction score

With a Yo Ho Ho, it's Seasonal Songs week again - doesn't time fly?.

They don't have to be Christmas songs. They can be songs which just mention the time of year, or songs related to any of the festivals and celebrations around the world at this time. Yule, Hanukkah, UpHellyAa, Bohdi, to name just a few. (If anyone is in San Sebastian, Spain, perhaps a song from La Tamborrada, a festival which seems to involve 24 hours of drumming. So maybe just a bit of it.)

Videos must be newly recorded, (unless you're Rob), and feature a ukulele, but overdubs and big productions are of course allowed.

Things start at 00:01 in Hawaii, Sunday 18th, and finish at 23:59 on Sunday 25th.

There is a limit of one song per day, so I have a chance to keep up.

No prizes this week, just the warm glow of bringing cheer to one and all.

Playlist link

And there's still plenty of time for Miller songs in the Season 565 thread. Of course, double points if anyone can do a song about what a miller does at Christmas.

Over to you!

With a Yo Ho Ho, it's Seasonal Songs week again - doesn't time fly?.

They don't have to be Christmas songs. They can be songs which just mention the time of year, or songs related to any of the festivals and celebrations around the world at this time. Yule, Hanukkah, UpHellyAa, Bohdi, to name just a few. (If anyone is in San Sebastian, Spain, perhaps a song from La Tamborrada, a festival which seems to involve 24 hours of drumming. So maybe just a bit of it.)

Videos must be newly recorded, (unless you're Rob), and feature a ukulele, but overdubs and big productions are of course allowed.

Things start at 00:01 in Hawaii, Sunday 18th, and finish at 23:59 on Sunday 25th.

There is a limit of one song per day, so I have a chance to keep up.

No prizes this week, just the warm glow of bringing cheer to one and all.

Playlist link

And there's still plenty of time for Miller songs in the Season 565 thread. Of course, double points if anyone can do a song about what a miller does at Christmas.

Over to you!

Thank you for hosting, Steve! And Merry Christmas to you and everybody here in the seasons post here! I've got one or two instrumental versions of Christmas standards I want to record!

Since you invited us to celebrate all the holidays of this time of year, let's kick off with a song I wrote that celebrates, well ... EVERYTHING!

A Ron Sexsmith Christmas song. A few RS fans on the forum might have this on their radar...I'm sure It could do with some more versions through the week. But I'm taking the timezone advantage to be the first:)
Thanks for doing this busy week Steve .I trust you already have posted my xmas present.

I thought I'd have a crack at writing a Christmas song. Here's a song about the traditional Christmas game of Whamageddon (https://www.whamageddon.com/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whamageddon).

If you're not familiar with it, the idea is that it starts on December the 1st and the goal is to get to Christmas without hearing "Last Christmas" by Wham (the original version). Supermarkets and shopping centres are particularly dangerous places to go if you're trying to win.

I thought I'd have a crack at writing a Christmas song. Here's a song about the traditional Christmas game of Whamageddon (https://www.whamageddon.com/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whamageddon).

If you're not familiar with it, the idea is that it starts on December the 1st and the goal is to get to Christmas without hearing "Last Christmas" by Wham (the original version). Supermarkets and shopping centres are particularly dangerous places to go if you're trying to win.

I’ve come across a similar thing but with Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade…. This starts after Bonfire Night and goes through to Christmas Day. You can hear the opening bars, but as soon as Noddy starts to sing, you’ve effectively been Noddied and you are out of the game. I lost out on 24th Nov sadly.

I should add, there are of course variations on the start date, but on the forum I play it on, Noddy Avoidance Season begins on 6th November, so it’s quite a feather in your cap to get to the big day without getting well n truly Noddied.

...and we are off to a flying start.

A good mix of originals and covers. Does Ron Sexsmith have any idea how often his songs turn up on here? Anyway, John has suggested that more people do that song, just as I suggest that more do the lovely Lesley Fowkes song which Wim has got in first with (although Pa did it in a few weeks ago as a One Trick Pony). And a great idea for a pre-Christmas game from Edwin.

Keep 'em coming folks.

By the way, my ancient computer doesn't seem to give me the option to add songs to a YouTube playlist. I have to switch to my phone to do that. So if I do forget to add anyone's videos to the list, please give me a nudge.

I should add, there are of course variations on the start date, but on the forum I play it on, Noddy Avoidance Season begins on 6th November, so it’s quite a feather in your cap to get to the big day without getting well n truly Noddied.
That's excellent. I think I've avoided that one so far this year, but I'm currently sitting in a coffee shop after doing some Christmas shopping so if I make it home without being Noddied I'll have done well.

Always thought this was a sad sort of song. Least when Judy Garland did it in the 1944 MGM musical Meet Me in St. Louis. When presented with the original draft lyric, Garland, her co-star Tom Drake and director Vincente Minnelli criticized the song as depressing.

Though he initially resisted, songwriter Hugh Martin made several changes to
make the song more upbeat. For example, the lines

"It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past" became
"Let your heart be light / Next year all our troubles will be out of sight"

Last night was the first night of Hanukkah. This is my first time lighting candles outdoors, in the perfect Brisbane almost-summer evening weather, and not in the middle of a cold northern hemisphere winter.

I’ve sung this song before, but this year I’m feeling it. The verse repeats twice … so the first time through, I sang about my current location, and the second time through I sang the original words.

Happy Hannukah to all!

PS, I forgot until the last moment that I no longer have my drawerful of boxes of Hannukah candles, and that it is not so easy to buy them here … so I ran to the local Coles supermarket at the last minute, and jury-rigged myself a makeshift Hannukiah (menorah).

566BD966-7699-48F4-A4B9-79CFAAA45E2E.jpeg
C6464102-824E-4A0D-B96B-2CB003172F34.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, if there was a prize for costume, Charley & Jane have staked an early claim. And a prize for improvised Hanukkah candles to Wendy.

Some gorgeous songs too. Every year I hear songs which make me think "I want to do that one next year". And every year, 12 months later I forget. Good job I'm building a playlist.

Top Bottom