Season 568: Same procedure as last year?

Hi everyone! What a pleasing burst of submissions there's been since I checked in this morning - please keep 'em coming! I'm just enjoying catching up with them now. Tenuous links to the theme are totally fine. Indeed, encouraged.

Hey! I realized recently I haven't been active here in almost a year. I'm intending to change that :)

I think the song I played for a recent local ukulele meet up open mic fits the Season loosely due to the theme of the song being old friends that may become more or drift apart. Hope ya'll enjoy!

Last edited:
I was a bit stuck for an approach to this one. I know the sketch, but I wasn't inspired by it until I remembered a lass I once knew who liked to play out a bizarre bedroom game where she pretended to be Janet and her partner had to pretend to be Doctor Finley. This all referred to an old B&W TV programme from the 1960s called "Dr Finley's Casebook. Janet was the good doctor's housekeeper and there was never a hint of the impropriety that this lass liked to play out in character. In Scottish accent: "Ooh, Janet, what a suggestion!" etc.

Remembering that, I had the key to the song. Maybe there is some German lass who likes to do the same with the "Dinner for One" characters.

Hope you like it:

Welcome Table

But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests.

I was stuck by the simplicity of the song and the expressed longing for justice, fulfillment, and a desire for inclusion, rather than being shut out and rejected.
Mother Teresa said "Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty."

Alice walker wrote a story called "the welcome table". The story is about an old, rundown black woman who staggers in the freezing cold to attend an all-white church. The white people are at a loss when they see her near the entrance of the church and don't know what to do. Acceptance or rejection what's a poor boy got to do?

Last edited:
Apologies for the brief interruption, but the wrap for Season 567 has just been posted here.
Thanks! :)

Sorry, I missed your Season, Del. This was on the back burner, but I hope fits here just as well.

Featuring not one but two Andalusian cadences, modulation to the relative 4th & back, augmented chords - who says rockabilly's simple? :-D

Buy me a drink, it's my birthday.
Tomorrow is, anyway.
Bartender, just a shot, I'll take 2 of what he's got!
Hey there, mister, what's your name?

Happy Birthday, Edwin, I dunno what is the exact date but I am guessing it is sometime in Jan.

I did another version of this catchy song here.

Last edited:
Hello, Edwin ... and thanks for hosting! Working again on the "better late than never" principle and, fascinated as I was by the Freddie Frinton skit, I have attempted to recreate it in my video. (I couldn't quite bring myself to provide a tiger rug, though ... I prefer live tigers!) I think the song fits pretty well with the theme ...

Thanks for hosting Edwin! :)

The link to the sketch here is friends. My cover is based on a lovely arrangement of the song done by Liz Brinker a while back, though mine obviously lacks the intricacy, the class and the polish of Liz’s version. (For those who’ve been asking about Liz, I haven’t heard from her since August, but I’m reliably, though indirectly, informed that she’s okay.)

Just baritone uke and vocals here, with some harmonies thrown in for good measure. I used to have a friend like the one in the song - I still miss her terribly! 😢

Last edited:
When I take my sugar to tea

Tea making is there a right way to do it? Here are my ideas. Based on some conversations with some Japanese, who are supposed to know something about tea making. The British have their own style as can be found for making Yorkshire tea

1) Boil the water until the bubbles are the size of lobster's eyes and you get a "bright" tea.
2) If the bubbles in the water are as big as an Bull's eye the the water is spoilt and you get a "dull" tea.

The explanation for this is that too vigorous boiling drives out all the oxygen in the water and it loses its vitality.

3) Brew the tea for only 3 minutes this ensures a "bright" tea.
4) If you brew the tea for more that 3 minutes then the tannins are extracted from the leaves and the tea becomes "bitter" or "stewed"

5) It is a little known fact that tannin is in actual fact a pH indicator like litmus or phenolthalene and it will change colour according to the pH of the tea.

6) To correct a "bitter" tea you can add a slice of lemon. As you add the lemon the "dark bitter" tea will visibly lighten as the citric acid from the lemon lowers the pH and the tannin reacts.

Come on!!! own up!!! you just invented all that didn't you

Last edited:
The strength of any community can be measured by its market days. Towns or villages that have market days or farmer's markets where local produce is sold are usually thriving. This is a song about one such market near where I live in Finland. A market usually sells Muikku a simple rustic delicacy.

Hi all! Well, we've made it to the first Saturday of 2023, which means there's just under a couple of days to get your songs in. We've had quite a variety of takes on the topic - parties, dinner, friends - and some other pleasingly tenuous ones. Please check out the playlist if you haven't already, it's loads of fun as always: Here it is again in case you missed it.

We've even had a couple of references to mulligatawny soup (and bonus points to Berni for rhyming it with "nincompoop", a word that I am now resolving to use more often). No haddock yet though. I thought you'd all be queueing up to do Half Man Half Biscuit's, "Grafting Haddock in the George"... I guess there's still time :).

I'm late but glad I got to this challenge. A good one Edwin! I felt better when I read on wikipedia that this sketch was pretty much unknown in the U.S.. Here's a short original inspired by it. I has percussion loops, synth strings and the uke doubled. Same procedure every season.

It's all explained in the video........tenuous top ten !!

This is "I Like to Hide in the Bathroom at Parties" by the band Winnetka Bowling League. For a song with only two chords and no really high notes, this one led me a merry chase.

I hadn't seen "Dinner for One" before.

After watching, since I love physical comedy, I immediately searched online for "tiger skin rug lyrics."

That introduced me to this Bryan Ferry song.

I hope everyone's 2023s are going as well as possible so far!

with about 20 mins or so to go til midnight in Hawaii I thought I’d do a quick Rolling Stones cover. This falls in to the tenuous link category. It’s not that difficult really so I’ll leave it there and you can guess the link.

Top Bottom