Season 569 -- DCDC (Three Season Throwback!)

Ila

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 8.55.47 AM.png
Season 569 -- DCDC (Three Season Throwback!)

Greetings, fellow Seasonistas, and welcome to week 569, when I will turn 59. Today we’re going back into ancient history, all the way back to Seasons 18 and 261. Both were hosted by TCK, and were about duets and collaborations, respectively.

Buddy up with someone and do a duet! If you don’t have someone to collaborate with, I suppose you can pretend you have a split personality and do it all on your own (multiple tracks, harmonies, etc.), but it certainly is much more fun to collaborate.

This week, though, in a nod to TCK’s Season 273, the collaborators may have paws! (Dave, I promise I’m not a stalker.) If you have a canine or feline, he or she may be one of your collaborators, but he or she should not be just a silent partner. Have as many dogs or cats participate as you like, but no more than two humans may be on one video. So you can have up to two humans and countless pets. But I want to hear the pets participate to whatever ability they have. Vocalizations are invited and welcomed! (See the parameters below.) To clarify, dogs and/or cats are not necessary, but are a preferred collaborative option if you are an animal lover. And let’s face it, just about everything imaginable is better with dogs.

So the DCDC stands for Duets, Collaborations, Dogs, and Cats.

I welcome entries from all over this great big blue marble we inhabit! Invite others to join in! Recruit a neighbor, a friend, or that person’s pet. The winning human collaborators will each receive a prize that can be shipped internationally with ease--an iron-on patch declaring for all the world that you are the Ukulele Hero you really are.

The parameters are as follows:
  • The video must be newly recorded for this Season. Rob may submit earlier recordings.
  • The video must say that it is for SOTU 569 – DCDC
  • No more than two humans in each video. However, dogs are always welcome no matter what. Extra points if they join in and bark, or better yet, howl. Cats are also welcome and may meow or purr at will, but hissing and growling is right out. Animals must also embrace the aloha spirit.
  • Songs do not need to be about dogs. Any subject matter is acceptable.
  • Please introduce the participants.
  • The ukulele must be prominent. Other instruments are welcome but the uke must be front and center. And visible.
  • Original songs are always welcome. If you do choose to submit an original song, please post the lyrics so we can all read them whilst you croon (or howl, bark, meow, or purr).
  • Please do not submit the same song that someone else already submitted earlier in the week.
  • Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time, in keeping with tradition. (And remember, Season 568 is still in play! Show Edwin some love!)
  • The Season lasts for 8 days, and ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, Jan. 15.
  • There is no limit to the number of videos you can submit.
The playlist link is: Playlist for Season 569

Most importantly, HAVE FUN. =^..^=

I love the sound of this theme, Ila! In the past, I attempted a - very unsuccessful - collaboration with our totally uncooperative dog. We now have only one cat, who has already appeared in a video ... it may be possible to encourage her participation. On the "people" front, I'm not so hopeful - there's no one here, unless I can rope in the Post Lady on her round!

I love doing live Seasons videos with friends. I do them as many weeks as I can. I even hosted a duo Season, Season 202, almost exactly 7 years ago, with former Uke On! duo partner Neil (Linear). Last week I trained up a whole brand new ukulele player (Mike) just to bring you one from the Woodford Folk Festival. That is how much I love making duo videos!

So it breaks my heart to find myself in a position where no one will play with me this week. This song constitutes my “doctor’s note” explaining my sad situation.

I also don’t have access to dogs or cats that I could coerce to make noise on video. Crickets start with C. I hope that will suffice. And a little wind noise for added patheticness. I was hoping for Cockatoos, but sadly they also don’t perform on command. Of course, immediately after I stopped, there was a dog barking in the neighborhood … and cockatoos a minute later. I tried, I really did. I’m working on a self-duet that I may get to tonight or later in the week.

PS, I’m fine now. But still not cleared to be with people. :cry:

Spot of the Antartic

As you plough through the snows of December
Remember that poor Captain Scott
Wasn't he the second to reach the South Pole?
Well no, in fact he was not.
Roald Amundsen, he was the first
Or that's what everyone reckoned.
But we've all been under a misapprehension
I've been toald that Roald was second.
When he arrived at his goal
A small patch of yellow snow marked it
For who was first to the pole
Spot of the Antarctic.

It was an elementary mistake
That put Roald out of the hunt
How can the man at the back of the sledge
Beat the dog he has tied to the front?
Then half way through the journey home
He spoke to his pet with regret
"I've miscalculated, our food is all ated
And McDonald's haven't opened here yet."
No for Roald the example of Oates
No bravely going out for a walk
He simply shouted "Come here, Spot"
And got out his knife and fork.
The dog may be gone, but the legend lives on
All down the years dog's have barked it
For who was the first to the pole?
Spot of the Antarctic.

Hey, everybody!

Thanks for hosting, Ila and also thank you asking me to be the Sonny to your Cher on this song!
It was an absolute honour and a pleasure to perform with you again!
No dogs on this, I'm afraid. Just the mournful cry of the melodica...

(Also, everybody check out Ila's ingenious navigation of the key change using self designed technology! Nothing short of brilliant!)

x

Okay, I managed it. Be careful what you wish for.

This is another mashup from my back burner list. I’ve been trying for years to figure out how to put together Three Dog Night’s “Shambala” with Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London” - two fun songs on the same repeated chord progression with “ah-oooooos” in the chorus.

I think this has promise as an actual duet with two people playing it live. Since I can’t do that this week, and I don’t know how to do actual multi-tracking, I recorded “Werewolves” on my phone, then played it back while I sang “Shambala” on video.

I’m not sure why the iPhone Voice Memos app does such s** audio, while the same phone produces quite decent audio quality on the video camera app. Maybe someone can teach me to do this properly!

Anyway, I think it’s kind of fun if you can get through it. :p

I guess I should get some credit for Three DOG Night. 🐶 🐶 🐶

If anyone would like to do a collab with yours truly and has the technical know how to make it happen (because I don’t) , let me know. Otherwise it’s me and the dog ….
Check your WhatsApp messages 👍🏼

I love doing live Seasons videos with friends. I do them as many weeks as I can. I even hosted a duo Season, Season 202, almost exactly 7 years ago, with former Uke On! duo partner Neil (Linear). Last week I trained up a whole brand new ukulele player (Mike) just to bring you one from the Woodford Folk Festival. That is how much I love making duo videos!

So it breaks my heart to find myself in a position where no one will play with me this week. This song constitutes my “doctor’s note” explaining my sad situation.

I also don’t have access to dogs or cats that I could coerce to make noise on video. Crickets start with C. I hope that will suffice. And a little wind noise for added patheticness. I was hoping for Cockatoos, but sadly they also don’t perform on command. Of course, immediately after I stopped, there was a dog barking in the neighborhood … and cockatoos a minute later. I tried, I really did. I’m working on a self-duet that I may get to tonight or later in the week.

PS, I’m fine now. But still not cleared to be with people. :cry:

Wendy, great knockoff of one of my faves!

I feel some of your pain.

My COVID exposure happened at a Christmas season gig in a nursing home (with everyone masked, including the players!), and a few days after the antiviral cocktail knocked it out, I got a secondary respiratory infection … the day before our first jam of the year!?!@$&!

I‘m glad you’re mending. Our next jam is the 19th. I’d better be ok by then!

I don't have a cat or a dog, or even really anyone willing to join in on a duet locally. On the other hand, I realised I had a song that would work well as a duet, so I roped in one of The Steamers to be on camera for once. This is Shifty Steamer, here playing the part of The Brain. He does look oddly familiar doesn't he?

Hey, everybody!

Thanks for hosting, Ila and also thank you asking me to be the Sonny to your Cher on this song!
It was an absolute honour and a pleasure to perform with you again!
No dogs on this, I'm afraid. Just the mournful cry of the melodica...

(Also, everybody check out Ila's ingenious navigation of the key change using self designed technology! Nothing short of brilliant!)

x

I've seen guitarists flip their capos off but don't think I've ever seen a capo shuffled along the neck mid stream for a key change. :D Fab entry guys x

Oh yes, I should also have said: I'll have a bit of free time this week. I've no idea what I can bring to a collaboration but if anyone has any bright ideas I expect I'd be willing to have a go :). You can see the limits of my audio and video editing skills a couple of posts back...

Spot of the Antartic

As you plough through the snows of December
Remember that poor Captain Scott
Wasn't he the second to reach the South Pole?
Well no, in fact he was not.
Roald Amundsen, he was the first
Or that's what everyone reckoned.
But we've all been under a misapprehension
I've been toald that Roald was second.
When he arrived at his goal
A small patch of yellow snow marked it
For who was first to the pole
Spot of the Antarctic.

It was an elementary mistake
That put Roald out of the hunt
How can the man at the back of the sledge
Beat the dog he has tied to the front?
Then half way through the journey home
He spoke to his pet with regret
"I've miscalculated, our food is all ated
And McDonald's haven't opened here yet."
No for Roald the example of Oates
No bravely going out for a walk
He simply shouted "Come here, Spot"
And got out his knife and fork.
The dog may be gone, but the legend lives on
All down the years dog's have barked it
For who was the first to the pole?
Spot of the Antarctic.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~ Bernard Williams

But then:

Give a dog a tasty name and eat him. ~ Chinese Proverb
(Whether that one is a "true" proverb, I don't know. If it isn't, I will gladly delete it from this post. I don't intend to offend.)

<edit> Then there was NGDB's Uncle Charlie & his dog Teddy: "Sit down Teddy, I want you to sing... the Old Rugged Cross."

Last edited:
I'd love to do a collab, but I am not one with skills to edit video and mix sound etc.
I think that CeeJay is the closest Seasonista for me, so I'm just checking if meeting up and shooting some videos together would be realistic this Season? Weather allowing, we could play a few songs al fresco.

Thanks Ila. This song tells the story of why dogs greet each other in the way they they do. I thought this was an Australian folk song but it's provenance may be originally Scottish...which makes sense considering it's rudeness..I'm looking at you Wee Rob. I did some collaborating with myself in the chorus. My doggie Ruby the Greyhound doesn't bark and was even worse than me on the tambourine..but she does feature at the end.

Cool idea! What I am wondering is how you who are doing online collabs are doing it. I can picture downloading a collaborators video from YouTube and working with that or sending a video to someone. Is this how you do it? If so, I have 2 dogs and a wife but would be down with a collaboration that is outside of my household.

Reactions: TCK
Cool idea! What I am wondering is how you who are doing online collabs are doing it. I can picture downloading a collaborators video from YouTube and working with that or sending a video to someone. Is this how you do it? If so, I have 2 dogs and a wife but would be down with a collaboration that is outside of my household.
Great question. Bobby is in the central UK while I'm in the western USA. He recorded his bit first and sent it to me via WeTransfer.com. I listened to it through the headphones while I recorded my own portion so that the tempo would match. Then I sent my bit back to Bobby via WeTransfer and he worked some magic to splice the two videos together, I imagine with some software I have yet to experiment with. I'm eager to learn it, in hopes that I can help with collaborations.

This is exactly how we do them!

Top Bottom