Season 571 - Sampler Platter

Not sure if I get this. So if I search for a song and it was sampled many times, am I supposed to cover the song or one of the pieces that sampled the song?
Please play the song that was sampled. If you are so inclined, then yes please, also play the song that did the sampling. But before playing a song that sampled another song, you must first play the song that was sampled.

I found a great song to do this week which has so far proved entirely beyond me. I'll keep trying and post it later, whether that is later this week or ten years from now! In the meantime, here is a song that was sampled by Billy Nomates in her song "Frank Valley". Billy Nomates is great - she's been getting quite a bit of radio play lately, at least on BBC 6 Music, which has my favourite place to discover new music for a while now.

Also, conveniently, this is a song I've been looking for an excuse to try for a while. One take here, plugged into a B9 organ pedal.

The original fades out, and I wasn't really sure how to end it, but fortunately I did end it. As they say:
"I can't think of an ending!"
"That's funny, I can't think of anything else..."

Good day to you all Seasonistas. There are now 23 videos up on the playlist, including an original. Thanks all for your contributions so far.

I've been doing the SOTU's for about a year now and amazed at the diversity of the challenges. This one was an interesting wake up. Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands and I had no idea how many times they have been sampled. (I remember hearing "Black Cow", that was it) This forced me to learn one of my favorites on uke -- fun stuff.
Love wit You by Large Professor (he basically just used the song as a backup track to a new tune)
I Know Where it's At by All Saints (had never heard of it but apparently was a top 10 song in the UK?)
We Don't Want no 8 ball by Ice Cube (a touching hand written letter convinced Donald Fagen to let him use it)
Drums are midi, pono uke is tripled, hadean ubass, flight pathfinder electric.

York Steve did the opening song off the Album, Dare, by The Human League. Here’s another off the same album. I think I’m right that this song has been sampled by a few artists, one of whom was George Michael in his song “Shoot The Dog”.

Reactions: TBB
Somehow I remembered reading that if you wanted to do an original which samples another song, that was on the table.
That's what I did. Took Jon Duncan's tune "Candle", slowed it down, changed the key and sampled the introduction into mine.

Thank you for your continued contributions everyone. Everything has been very enjoyable. The playlist should be current to here. There’s still plenty of time to discover something all over again and bring it along.

The day Darrell missed a gear

This poem is more of a gritty Jack Kerouac rant... a Dean Moriarty howl at the moon.
Poetry rendition by slam poet Richard Peek.
Green onions midi file slaughtered in garbageband (changed time signature... dub horns... and 130 bpm... Booker T and Steve Cropper would not recognize it)
Ratrod smoking white wall tyres in a tail spin, and the ghost of a 50's two door hard top with whitewall tyres from the past superimposing itself on the present. Trains and cars don't mix.

Thanks for hosting, DP! I’m afraid I went the “come up with something you can play and see if it’s been sampled” route, which feels like a terrible cop out but it was the only way I was going to be able to contribute this week.

This is Watermark, by Enya (arr. David Beckingham). Turns out it’s been sampled in Hórus’s Interlúdio and Mark Albert‘s You Know, I listened to that one and tbh it sounds more like Mr Albert just accidentally recorded the first three notes at the end of his song. Barely a sample, I hope he didn’t pay too much for it.

Last edited:
Never, ever did I think that there would be an opportunity to bring this piece of genius music to the Seasons. Simple as a knife and fork and yet beloved by many the world over.since 1969. But here we are because Tove Lo , a Swedish songstress has sampled “Popcorn” for Her Latest Single “2 Die 4” The popstar's fifth studio album Dirt Femme is out October 14 2022. I have "sampled" the actual drumtrack and whilst it is still rough because it is still a work in progress I realised that we are running out of week.This was bonkers hard and there is some doubling of the big bari banjolele. Which was tricky, cos it's all superfast.

If you want to write an original please do! Use the idea of seeing something old through a new lens or with a new sense of appreciation as a starting point.
Here I am trying to see something as what it is now, not burdened by the old nor having an expectation for the future...something like that. I "wrote" the song as I recorded it. I did fumble over a couple of words

So, for every song you play that was used as a sample I am going to donate $1 to a local food bank. If you feel so inclined, also play the song that sampled the song you played, which will garner $2 to the same cause.
Thanks for hosting and for doing this.

Wow! Some really great samples today. Thanks everyone for your contributions to the Season. There’s still a couple of days left if you’ve been thinking about joining the fun.

Top Bottom