SEASON 572 - All Of The Nights We’d Harmonise Til Dawn.

One Man And His Uke

Reaction score
As you may know, that is a line from Simon and Garfunkel’s “So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright”. This week I would like you to bring songs from duos, like Simon and Garfunkel, or trios or groups etc, who were renowned for their harmonies. I was thinking about the recent sad passing of David Crosby and that led me to thinking of this theme for the season. There are so many groups, like CSN ( and Y) who sung so beautifully, in harmony. I mean, you have Dave Crosby’s The Byrds, and Graham Nash’s The Hollies for starters. First things first though, you do NOT have to sing in harmony, so long as the song you bring is by artists who were known for their harmonies, but do so if you want to. So collabs are fine, or harmonise with yourself. It’s all good. If you think your choice fits, then that is good enough for me. But do give us a little background to your choice if you can. But wait……. There’s more!

There is a 2nd category of song you can bring….”Call a spade…….. Anything but a spade” , and this is for those of you who want to write an original. Forgive me Berni Armstrong but you are the inspiration here 😉. A few weeks ago you said, in the comments for one of your songs, and I quote “I have never been any good at writing songs that are mysterious or ambiguous in their lines.” That struck me because, well, it’s very true, that is how you write your songs Berni, and more power to your elbow for doing it that way. I wouldn’t want you to change……however, for one week only, I want you to step outside your lyrical comfort zone and bring us something that is mysterious. This challenge isn’t just for Berni by the way, he is the inspiration for this third category, but anyone who wants to bring an original, please do. The only request I make is that you write an original that doesn’t “spell it out” as it were. And when you post your song, don’t, by way of introduction, tell us what the song is about. Keep us guessing.

Usual rules apply, ukulele front and centre, collabs, multitracking, fine, and Rob may raid his rich back catalogue of course. And don’t forget you can still sample the delights of Andy’s season.

I am working a few long days this week, so I may be absent a little, but I will try to keep up. Let’s say a max of 2 subs per day. I don’t think there will be a prize, but I’m fickle, that may change. Playlist will appear once a few tunes start rolling in. Most of all have fun, that is what matters most.

SOTU 572

Last edited:
Ooh, I can feel an Everlys song or two coming on...good theme John.

I was thinking about the recent sad passing of David Crosby and that led me to thinking of this theme for the season.

I love this! The Crosby Nash duo records are my favorites of any configuration of the groups. This 1970 collaboration for the BBC predates any of their official recordings, so it's mostly CSN tracks (Lee Shore, Guinevere, Teach Your Children, Marrakesh Express, etc.). Gorgeous stuff! Wind On The Water is Crosby's arrangements at their finest, too.

Can definitely see how this inspired your duos idea! Looking forward to what everyone comes up with!

Glad you’re doing this John. David Crosby’s passing had me thinking along these lines for the current season - CSN is still my dad’s favorite band and their music was always around when I was growing up - but the scale tipped the other way in the end. Looking forward to what people bring.

Cheers for hosting this one John. I've opted for the Righteous Brothers because their vocal facility Is absolutely phenomenal. Even though the biggest voices In showbiz have covered this particular song they can't move me like the legendary duo of Medley & Hatfield. Here's my version that sounds nothing like them :cry:

The first song I ever wrote - after only eight weeks of ukulele playing - is a "slow reveal" song that makes you guess. What *is* the eponymous "Thing" in the title? I can play it a lot better now than when I wrote it.

John of The North I know you are a Rugby League man so you may appreciate this story. Our National Rugby League comp is getting a new team this year based in Redcliffe Queensland. I was listening to a radio sports show where they were asking for suggestions for a mascot.
My favourite suggestion was a Barry Gibb impersonator who would jump on a stage on the sideline and belt out a couple of verses of "Stayin' Alive" every time the home team scored a try. This was of course because Redcliffe was the home of the Brothers Gibb when they migrated from Manchester in 1952. Their first paying gig was at Redcliffe Speedway in 1958 on the back of a truck between races. Barry was the eldest at 14.
Alas the team will be called the Redcliffe Dolphins...so no Barry just a guy in a fish suit.
Wonderful harmonisers The Bee Gees...me no so much.

Thank you Mark ( who sadly wasn’t sat in front of a potters wheel but you can’t have everything), Wendy and Southern John who have kicked proceedings off so beautifully. Keep those harmonies and mysterious originals coming folks 👍

Back in my university days I discovered the duo Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee
There was something primitive and earthy about the way Sonny played the mouth organ and Brownie had a way of singing that appealed to me. Everybody was crazy about Robert Johnson, but give me Brownie McGhee any day.

Last edited:
Rewind to the mid-80s, and I went to see the Everly Brothers on their reunion tour. They were superb - the harmonies perfect all night - and this song (written for them by Paul McCartney) was the single they were promoting from their comback album. I marvelled at how these two old men could still sing as well as that. Of course, doing the maths now, I find that they were actually about fifteen years younger than I am today. Hurrumph.

P.S. Upstrums provided by a freshly applied plaster, following a nasty thumbnail incident.

Thanks for hosting, John!

I welcome mystery but I don't like making it. I consider myself anti-mystery (in my art and music).
Mmm...actually, i like to use simple words and art to say something else...so I am not sure if that is considered mysterious.

But I liked making this video for you. I did some harmonies too.

The "lyrics" of my song are:

yellow ~
rose madder ~
night ~

(I know what I am singing about but I am not telling you.)

Hello, John, and thanks for the week! This song was a 1967 hit for The Association - a sunshine pop group from California who were/are - they are, apparently, still around - known for their intricate harmonies. However closely you listen, you will hear no harmonies - intricate or otherwise - in my version!

"This week I would like you to bring songs from duos, like Simon and Garfunkel, or trios or groups etc, who were renowned for their harmonies."
Thanks John. I'll be glad when warmer weather returns.

I'm no good at writing "mysterious" songs, either, but I've done a couple that weren't totally literal. So I'm revisiting a song from four years ago. I changed some of the lyrics and made a new recording. Overdubbed a little riff on the baritone, plus u-bass and harmony vocals. If there's someone who can't figure out what this song is about and wants to know, just pm me and I'll be happy to tell you where it came from. A funny thing I did when I was recording is that I forgot to turn my camera off, so I have several minutes of me noodling around and trying to figure out what I wanted to do next. That was funny to watch, at least for me.

thank you for this week John.
this, an original song for the season i recorded this morning
i do tend to write songs like this quite often - w/ vivid imagery
but elusive as to an overall 'meaning' to the extent there even is one.
i have always liked this song for its fable-like quality, and for the reason
outlined in the challenge for this week; that is mysterious, to me too.
i've written the lyrics in the yt description.
cheers mate
xo

Top Bottom