Season 573 - Tom Waits for Lowe man

YorkSteve

Still strummin'
UU VIP
Reaction score
Season 573 -Tom Waits for Lowe man

That’s a terrible play on words to disguise a ridiculously simple theme for the Season – I want to hear any songs written by Tom Waits or Nick Lowe.

These are two of my favourite writers, and if I counted up their songs which I have done myself, I would probably have to take both my socks off. But I bet you can find some which I haven’t even heard before.

Songs co-written by Tom or Nick are OK (most of Tom’s later work has been written with his partner Kathleen Brennan), but songs written by other people which they have covered are off limits this week.

For those who like to create something original, how about songs concerning sleazy bars or growing old disgracefully, two themes of their songs which spring to mind.

All the usual rules apply –

Songs must be newly recorded for Season 573, unless you are Rob.

Multi-tracking is OK, as long as a uke is in there somewhere (and preferably visible, so we can steal the chords...)

The Season starts at 00:01 Hawaii time, Sunday Feb 5th, and ends 23:59 Hawaii time Sunday Feb 12th.

There could well be a prize or two.

A limit of one song per person per day please, so I can keep up.

Playlist

Over to you!!

Last edited:
YESSSSSS!!!

Interesting theme, Steve ... those are two artists I need to get to know better! Sadly, I have done untold damage to the nail on my first finger (strumming hand) so it might be a few days before I am able to produce anything ... I shall enjoy listening to everyone else's contributions in the meantime.

Interesting theme, Steve ... those are two artists I need to get to know better! Sadly, I have done untold damage to the nail on my first finger (strumming hand) so it might be a few days before I am able to produce anything ... I shall enjoy listening to everyone else's contributions in the meantime.
Ouch! I did the same to my strumming thumb last week, but a carefully applied plaster has just about got me going again. Good luck - all the more time to explore Tom & Nick.

Thanks for those friendly choices Steve. I've always been full bottle on Tom Waits but it's only through exposure here that I've become a Nick Lowe fan too. I just searched for song titles and liked this one...new to me but a nice melancholy slightly jazzy tune.

Come on, Steve - you knew if you gave me two choices, I'd mash them up, right? I mean, really, what other choice did I have? 😁

I was going to call this "Come On Up to the House of Peace, Love, and Understanding" ... but your title of "Tom Waits for Lowe, Man" is too good ... stealing!

Away to a flying start. One 100% Nick, one 50/50, and one...well...if Rob had submitted it as a lesser known Tom Waits song, I would have fallen for it, so I will add it.

Tom Waits' "Diamonds and Gold", for tenor ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and whistling. Thanks for hosting the season, Steve!

I also performed this on baritone with my daughter Ani playing melodica several years ago; a recording of our version is on the Fleffikon "Aurora" record (see link below).

I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You - Tom Waits

Thanks Steve. I'm a Tom Waits fan, but am less familiar with Nick Lowe. I'll try to familiarise myself with his work enough to get one in this week.
In the nineties I played in a group with a fine musician named Bernie Martin. Bernie did a wonderful job on this song. We lost Bernie to cancer in 1995, but I liked the song so much that I decided to keep singing it. I think this is my favourite Tom Waits song.

I was honored to work with Tom during at the short-lived Joko Londo's Academy of Vocalization and Aspiration...

Interesting challenge, Steve. I can't say I have ever heard many Tom Waits songs, let alone played any. Listened to a bunch this morning on AmazonMusic. Felt like I need a few stiff drinks afterwards lol. very raw, but true to life stuff. Can't say I am all that familiar with Nick Lowe (much cheerier) songs either, but have heard and sang a few through the Johnny Cash connection.

I'll see what I can do.

Some Nick Lowe for you.

"how about songs concerning sleazy bars"
Having experienced what I consider to be paranormal activity in a local dive bar, I wrote this song a while back about the place and the people who frequent that establishment. It's rough. My voice is still shot from karaoke night. My timing is all over the place. But, I'm enjoying this SOTU thing too much and am trying to get at least one entry in each week. Thanks for letting me rub elbows with talented people. Thanks for hosting this week YorkSteve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom