Season 576 - "Dirty Dancing"

Yukio

Reaction score
Hey there, Seasonistas! Don’t put away your dancing shoes just yet because Val is still in the groove and now we are going to party like it is 1963! To celebrate the sixty years spanning 1963 to 2023, Season 576 of the Ukulele will pay tribute to the film, Dirty Dancing!

My friend Magdalena works in an arthouse cinema. She gets to watch the best films the world has to offer at her job in Basel, Switzerland. But if you ask Magdalena about her favourite movie, she will answer without pause, “Dirty Dancing!”

Dirty Dancing, a film set in the summer of 1963, was a world-wide smash hit when it was released to theatres in 1987. But the deeper truth is there were a lot of times when it looked like the movie might not happen, or that it would go straight to video and be otherwise forgotten. There are many interesting and improbable things about the making of this cultural phenomenon that we will discuss in the eight days to follow.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY (Highlighting has been added to the original text for emphasis, additional text appears in blue.)

Your job, fellow Seasonistas, is to recreate a soundtrack to this movie. You are welcome to cover any song found on the soundtrack. I would suggest you refer to the more complete soundtrack that contains all the music featured in the film. Such was the case with the 20th Anniversary Edition CD from 2007. There you will find 27 tracks from the original motion picture; including familiar radio hits, golden oldies, instrumentals, latin rhythms, a waltz, and even a tune that is old enough to no longer be bound by copyright. There are, of course, fun duets to try and do-wop grooves with which to harmonise. Many of the songs are fairly simple, using only three or four chords, so everyone should be able to find a seat at the table.

Please don’t worry if you are working on covering a song from the soundtrack, only to discover that some other Seasonista was quicker on the draw and posted the song already. Post it anyway! Multiple versions of the same song are welcome!

If you prefer to write new material, just imagine that you have been asked by the film's producers to submit music to go with a particular scene in the film and indicate which scene you had in mind when you wrote your new song.

Whatever your submission may be, please be certain that it serves the film. The material should be useful in the eyes of the producers as to further their aims to enhance the overall emotional mood or to drive the momentum of a scene in the film. Material that is referential to the film or "breaks the fourth wall" will be of no use and must be rejected. If you want to present new material but have never seen the film, don't worry; a quick read of the plot synopsis will suffice to find a scene for which to write.

I will keep a playlist up to date as songs are submitted throughout the Season, but in the last days, if things go right, I may choose to juggle the playlist around so that the tracks are listed in the order they appear in the movie (see again the track listings for the 20th Anniversary CD.) I hope to add in some scene cues, if possible.

All the usual rules apply: Post new Dirty Dancing Soundtrack videos, name checking Season 576, featuring your ukulele as the main insturment. (Rob is welcome to share from his back catalogue any songs that he sees fit to include in the movie soundtrack.) There is no limit to the number of songs you can submit for this season. Multitracking and/or Collabortations are welcome and harmony vocals will be relished in particular. Starting time is 00:00:00 local Hawaii time on Feb 26 and runs until the clock reads 23:59:59 in Hawaii on Sunday, the 5th of March.

Now, go out there and have the time of your lives!

-Yukio

DIRTY DANCING PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Can songwriters write an entirely new song based on the title of one of the tracks from the soundtrack?
Eg:
Dirty Dancing is a fave of my wife
But when I watched it
It wasn't the time of my life... Etc...😉

Can songwriters write an entirely new song based on the title of one of the tracks from the soundtrack?
Eg:
Dirty Dancing is a fave of my wife
But when I watched it
It wasn't the time of my life... Etc...😉
Hey, Berni. I know you are still deep in FAWM, so I am delighted to hear that you are considering penning a new song for Season 576!
The prompt is to write a new song that would find a place in the soundtrack of the film. Writing a song based on, or commenting upon, the title of a song from the original soundtrack is too 'meta.'
If your wife really does like the film, you could find a memorable scene for her and write a song that could serve as soundtrack material for that particular scene. That is the idea I am after for this season. The song wants to serve the film itself and function as a part of the film.
Thanks for helping me to clarify this.
-Yukio

Last edited:
Dirty dancing part one

eleanor-catskills-inline-today-170123b.jpg
This is a photograph of a young Eleanor Bergstein, many years before she became a novelist and the writer of the screenplay Dirty Dancing.
Eleanor was a self-proclaimed "Teenage Mambo Queen." She was crazy about dancing, including performing in dance competitions and what she and her circle of friends called 'dirty dancing' to be found at neighbourhood basement parties. From a very young age she would enter latin dance contests and win bottles of champagne, which were then handed over for her parents to enjoy, since she was barely in her teens.

The life of Eleanor Bernstein is mirrored in many facets of the story and characters found in Dirty Dancing. When she wrote the script, she included numerous pages of choreography to be used in the scenes and a selection of songs from the era that were to be part of the soundtrack to the film. She wrote from experience, and that is big part of why the story resonates with so many people. Dirty Dancing is her story.

Last edited:
Hello, Christopher ... and thanks for hosting! I know that, by rights, I shouldn't be here, but my "hosting duties" are up to date and when I saw your theme I had a really daft idea. This may be the "filthiest" song you hear all week!

Hello, Christopher ... and thanks for hosting! I know that, by rights, I shouldn't be here, but my "hosting duties" are up to date and when I saw your theme I had a really daft idea. This may be the "filthiest" song you hear all week!

Hey Val. Thanks for visiting the new season. Your original song and video is pretty darn funny. Did you have a particular scene from the movie that was the inspiration for your song? The idea is to come up with songs that will fit as parts of the movie soundtrack. (See the response to Berni's question above.) Please let me know.
-Yukio

Hey Val. Thanks for visiting the new season. Your original song and video is pretty darn funny. Did you have a particular scene from the movie that was the inspiration for your song? The idea is to come up with songs that will fit as parts of the movie soundtrack. (See the response to Berni's question above.) Please let me know.
-Yukio
Oh ... and whoops! Do you want me to take it down? I have a feeling that there is a scene in the film where Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey are practising outside in the rain and getting spectacularly wet and muddy ... I suppose I could relate it to that, if pushed!

Oh ... and whoops! Do you want me to take it down? I have a feeling that there is a scene in the film where Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey are practising outside in the rain and getting spectacularly wet and muddy ... I suppose I could relate it to that, if pushed!
Let's leave it here on the thread. I probably won't post it to the final playlist for the reasons stated above, but it can stay here to entertain the troops. Thanks!
-Yukio

I haven't either.
Nor have I, even though some of it was filmed in Western North Carolina, not far from where I grew up.

EVERYONE'S SEEN "DIRTY DANCING" ... how did you manage to avoid it???
I know! I’ve asked everyone I’ve seen today, from my 21yo son to my 82yo mother, whether they’ve seen it and they’ve all basically said “well, yeah. Obviously” I have no idea how I avoided it 😂

I know! I’ve asked everyone I’ve seen today, from my 21yo son to my 82yo mother, whether they’ve seen it and they’ve all basically said “well, yeah. Obviously” I have no idea how I avoided it 😂
I haven't seen it either...

Top Bottom