Season... ONLY 499! Limited time offer!

you don't need any money in the summer when it's so hot that it's like a Chinese Wrestlers jock stap cooked in chip fat on a greasy day.

Hello again, Mikkel! Money is a bit of a sore point at the moment as I have just spent a large part of the afternoon trying to make a transfer from our bank in the UK to our bank in France, through a transfer company which seems to have suddenly become somewhat overzealous. In addition to a phoned verification code, they also required a passport copy and then a selfie to make sure they were dealing with the same person ... they just about stopped short of fingerprints! Anyway, this song is a Deano standard from 1954 ...

Well this week has been exciting. I was finally brave enough to go and get my comedy pandemic mullet chopped off, I had a pint in a pub for the first time since March 2020, and it's the start of a new academic year so I've spent much of the week welcoming and advising incoming students (why anyone thinks I'm grown up enough to do this I will never know). Anyway, that makes it a good time to bring this educational offering from They Might Be Giants, an entirely factual and non-judgemental song about the presidency of James K. Polk:

In this one, he makes the English sell the Oregon Territory (though as an adopted Scotsman, I have to point out it was the British. I left the lyrics alone :)).

It turns out this is what it sounds like when I decide to record a song after getting home from the pub. I thought about adding an accordion, but to be honest in the end I couldn't be bothered.

"Try Some, Buy Some" (1971) by George Harrison. I was first introduced to this song by David Bowie's fine cover.

Willie's Diamond Joe - Wille P Bennett (Cisco Houston)

In 1952, Cisco Houston wrote and recorded a song about a mean trail boss named Diamond Joe.
Now there's a man you'll hear about most anywhere you go
His holdings are in Texas and his name is Diamond Joe
And he carries all his money in his diamond-studded jaw
He never took much trouble with the process of the law

In 1975, Willie used Cisco's tune, but wrote entirely different words and called it Willie's Diamond Joe even though Diamond Joe played no part in Willie's song.

Thanks for hosting a fun week Mikkel!

Here's my first video of the Season! I rarely play show tunes, but early in the week this Lionel Bart song from the musical "Oliver!" got into my head and wouldn't go away. It often happens these days that I don't find the combination of time and energy to make a video until Saturday, so here it is.

Here's one I thought would fit this season...

With less than a day left, I belive the playlist is up to date!
Let me know if I forgot someone.

I found an old Flemish folk song this week. It's about a young girl, who's peddling prawn and shrimp.
It's from the 1981 book Lied om Lied, from the publisher Uitgevery De Garve. I couldn't find more info or further verses online, so I added my own intro.

And so, the season ended some time ago now!

I will be back with a wrap in a few days.

Thanks for playing everone!

And so, a few days passed and I didn't manage to do a wrap...

I was planning to do a video in the wrap, since I was too busy during the week. But then things got in the way.
Now season 500 is nearing the end and season 501 has begun, so I will move on quickly.

This is the little tiny wrap of season 499!

Anyway, season 499 was a hoot, thanks for bringing all your songs!
We had 42 songs in total - proving that ukulele is the answer to the great question of life, the universe and everything.

There are no prizes, sorry, only prices, and only in the theme ;-)

I hope you had fun too, in spite of my limited hosting efforts.
Now hurry and play some Ukulele Underground/Blue Jeans songs!

Top Bottom