Season... ONLY 499! Limited time offer!

UkingViking

Reaction score
Welcome to season 499!

This weeks theme is an absolute bargain!
Or just a pricetag, a deal, a purchase, a trading of goods etc.

Ever noticed how pricetags always end on something with 99? Well that inspired this theme for this season number.

I want songs in which someone somewhere in the song buys or sells something, or tries to. Be it furniture, a car, a coconut, a soul, a lovepotion, snake oil etc. Or inquires the price of an object. You get the idea, some sort of commerce must go on somewhere in the song.
I hope you will be creative and find some songs - otherwise it should be a good theme for songwriting.

Song limit: 4 songs for the week.
And just so you don't spend it all the first day, you can not post your 2. song before tuesday, 3rd song before thursday, or 4th before saturday hawaii time.

As usual the first song cannot be posted before sunday september 5th begins, Hawaii time, and all songs must be submitted before sunday september 12th ends, Hawaii time.

The usual rules apply - fresh recordings, stating somehwere that they are for this season.

The playlist is here:
PLAYLIST

Happy strumming!

Last edited:
take-my-money-gif-4.gif

That'll close the deal!

Corruption in Government...bribery and the rigging of votes such modern themes, but here we have Robert Burns a Scotsman, writing a song about his fellow countrymen and parliamentarians and how they were persuaded by a few financial incentives of the many potential benefits of a union with England, and hence signed the treaty of union in 1707

The song embodies the anti-union feeling in Scotland during the 18th century. The charge of corruption was made against the majority of the Scottish parliment "for selling out for English gold". This is a common theme in Jacobite songs

Fareweel to all our Scottish fame
Fareweel our ancient glory
Fareweel even to our Scottish Cname
Saefamed in martial story
Now Sark rins to the Solway sands
And Tweed rins to the Ocean.
To mark where Englands province stands
Sic a parcel of rogues in a nation
What force or guile could not subdue
Through many warlike ages
Is wrought now by a coward few
For hireling traitors wages
The English steel we could disdain
Secure in valours station.
But English gold has been our bane
Sic a parcel of rogues in a nation.
I would, ere I had seen the day
When treason thus could sell us
My auld grey head had lain in clay
Wi Bruce and loyal Wallace
But pith and power till my last hour
Ill make this declaration.
We were bought and sold for English gold
Sic a parcel of rogues in a nation.

B.O.G.O.F.!!!! (not you, Rob!)

"Free Money" by Patti Smith, for tenor ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and secondary vocal. Produced for Season of the Ukulele 499. Thanks for hosting, Mikkel!

Also I would like to announce:

Copy of Vintage Sepia Gig Concert Instagram Story Ad - Made with PosterMyWall.jpg

Woodstock Ukulele Studio (6305 SE 46th Ave, Portland Oregon) will be presenting an in person and ZOOM concert at 7pm (west coast usa time) on September 12. The driveway at Woodstock Ukulele Studio holds at least 40 people (even with distancing)

If you come to see the show, please arrive by 6:55, and bring a folding chair. Park on 46th or 45th. There is a bathroom facility. The show will be approximately 75 minutes.

To watch on ZOOM - join meeting number 622 972 7495 with password "WOODSTOCK" The session will begin at approximately 6:55, the show at approximately 7:05.

The event is free, but paypal donations to ferglow@comcast.net are welcomed!

The players: Brian Fergus and Borfus Wallaby of UkeFoote are joined by Andrew Morse for a concert of eclectic solo and ensemble ukulele music.

email Brian Fergus at ferglow@comcast.net for more information

Since Merlefest is in 11 days and the World of Bluegrass festival is two weeks after that, North Carolinians will be hearing lots of banjos ano mandolins and dobros the next few weeks. Let’s get the party started with a Flatt & Scruggs standard.

The narrator, as an enterprising young boy, has been hired to wash a car belonging to a rich guy.
Along with his pay, he receives a little bit of advise.

Garage Sale-ing - Steve Key

I learned this for my late Auntie Vera, who had a garage sale every Sunday until she moved into an apartment at 95. Every time we visited she'd get us to go into the barn and garage and pick out something to take with us.
All of the profits from the garage sale went to Casey House, a hospice where AIDS patients spent their final days. Her younger son, Gerry died there on Christmas day, 25 years ago, when an AIDS diagnosis was terminal.
We would always sing her some songs on her birthday each year and this is one that I sang her at her 100th birthday party.

Last edited:
Thanks Mikkel. This Donovan song proposes the radical concept of buying someone presents in the hope of some "Love" in exchange. I'm not sure that will ever catch on. The Animals probably had the most well known version of this.

i have this silly unproven theory that the more that is spent on a wedding the shorter the time is that the couple stays together
our wedding was very frugal in 1973 and we're still together
sort of the same theme as John's song in this paoriginal from 2018 but re-recorded for 499
back then Randy commented on my clever use of words with time rhyming with times

Last edited:
Millionaire from David Olney 1991 album Roses

Well, I started out with one long dollar
Gambled with the man and I won me another
I bought me a gun and I robbed my brother
I'm bad, but I don't care boys, I'm gonna be a million-aire
Well, I hopped on a ship and we sailed on the waves
Dealt in rum and we dealt in slaves
Left my captain to a watery grave.
He's gone, but I don't care, I'm gonna be a millionaire

How many of you wanna see me dead?
How many of you wanna have my head?
How many of you just live your lives?
Wishing you were me boys, wishing you were me?

Well, I married rich, a pretty little wife
Brought her misery every day of her life
She slit her wrist with a silver knife
You can't blame that on me boys, her money belongs to me
Well, I found myself in a good position
To buy myself some cheap politicians
Bought myself a big election
That's just how it went boys, now I own the president

How many of you wanna see me dead?
How many of you wanna have my head?
How many of you just live your lives?
Wishing you were me boys, wishing you were me?
When you say your prayers down on your knees
Ask the Lord, forgive you, please
If it crosses your mind say one for me
I know where I'm bound boys, I know where I'm bound

Hello, Mikkel, and thanks for hosting this week ... it took me a while to realise how clever your theme is! I am having an end of season sale on the beach ... how can you possibly resist this splendid promo? (Apart from the baritone uke (er, tenor guitar), I was aided by my trusty glockenspiel, a slight modicum of drone and a bespectacled seagull.)

I started messing with this one for my own most recently hosted season about people who are confident, but never committed it to tape (or a silicon wafer I guess nowadays). I played it at the open mic on Saturday and folks seems to think it would fit this week's theme, so here it is.

Thanks for hosting Mikkel. Hope we'll see you at another open mic soon.

Top Bottom