I'm bad, but I don't care boys, I'm gonna be a million-aire
Well, I hopped on a ship and we sailed on the waves
Dealt in rum and we dealt in slaves
Left my captain to a watery grave.
He's gone, but I don't care, I'm gonna be a millionaire

How many of you wanna see me dead?
How many of you wanna have my head?
How many of you just live your lives?
Wishing you were me boys, wishing you were me?

Well, I married rich, a pretty little wife
Brought her misery every day of her life
She slit her wrist with a silver knife
You can't blame that on me boys, her money belongs to me
Well, I found myself in a good position
To buy myself some cheap politicians
Bought myself a big election
That's just how it went boys, now I own the president

How many of you wanna see me dead?
How many of you wanna have my head?
How many of you just live your lives?
Wishing you were me boys, wishing you were me?
When you say your prayers down on your knees
Ask the Lord, forgive you, please
If it crosses your mind say one for me
I know where I'm bound boys, I know where I'm bound

A strong song here.
I will add it to the list tomorrow, since it is a bit early for the second entry according to the song limit this week - don't worry, I haven't forgotten you :)

Dollar Bill Blues - Townes Van Zandt

I've been a Townes fan for about 40 years now. I never saw him live, but had a chance to jam with his son, J.T., at a festival in Aylmer, Ontario. This song fits the Season 499 topic - ONLY 499! Limited time offer!

I love most of what Townes wrote, but there's one verse that I always leave out of this song. I just don't feel comfortable singing it (even though I have a bunch of murder ballads in my repertoire), but here it is:

Mother was a golden girl
I slit her throat just to get her pearls
Cast myself into a whirl
Before a bunch of swine

Last edited:
Sometimes you need to sell things just to get by. In this classic by Squeeze, they had to sell the telly.

For some reason I felt the need to add a harmonica and kazoo at the end. I stepped far enough away from the mic though, don't worry.

In this song, Lincoln Duncan wants to hock a ring, but he can't, because he doesn't have one. I hope his intent to sell is close enough. One thing I really like in the story is that Duncan had a guitar, but he didn't hock that. I wonder how much Paul Simon thought about that when he wrote the song.

As for Paul - super talented songwriter and performer, and I always find his songs easy except for 1/ figuring them out, 2/ playing them, and 3/ singing them. So apologies for the mistakes and varying tempo. If it's any consolation - I mean well, and I like to think that counts for something.

Tuned down one full step.

This song by Peter Starsted has always unleashed happiness endorphins for me. I did the sums and I was 13 when this was a hit. I love both his big songs..this and Where do you go to - but I have never investigated any of his albums. I'm sure he must have more good songs.
In the first song I posted this week the protagonist wants to buy his paramour a variety of large American automobiles.
In this song the protagonist is only offering to buy a frozen orange juice...and he is all the happier for it.

My apologies Mikkel. I put my third video up today, one day too early. I have removed it and will re-submit tomorrow.

Attachments

• Back to the future meme.jpg
    Back to the future meme.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 36
  • chris coole.jpg
    chris coole.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Here's a mostly untrue story about the hippie who gave me a ride on his boat on my way to Reading Festival back in a previous life.

[Video]

SOTU 499 - "The Lottery Song" - Harry Nilsson (1972) appeared on the album "Son of Schmilsson". If you aren't familiar with Nilsson, check him out. His most well known songs are "Everybody's Talkin'" from the film "Midnight Cowboy," and "Without You," both of which he won Grammys for in 1970. He was a fabulous singer and John Lennon's friend and favorite musical artist.

I'm back. I re-recorded the Nirvana / Bowie classic, because like Kurt said on the MTV Unplugged show, I guarantee that I will screw this song up...And I did.

This still isn't perfect, but it's much closer to where I want it.

i'm bringing Shania Twain's song about consumerism to this week's theme of buying stuff ...

I have a song lined up for this week, but...I also have a cold which has taken away 80% of my voice. Hope it recovers over the next few days.

Ahoy all.
I have not been as active as usually on the uke recently re. participation as I have mostly been playing around with songs that I have already done here.
I tried a new song today though, and here it is

thank you for this week Mikkel.
my auntie came to visit my mum a couple of days ago
and put two red clips in her hair. she looked so beautiful
and it made me think of this song;
a poor man. the currency of the love within him
is all he can afford.
thank you to Joo for singing with me.

I've been waiting for someone to cover this, I figured I may as well try it this morning since it's a nice rainy day indoors.

Here's my first this week. Been a busy one. My daughter has gone off to Paris to be an Au Pair for some months. Last minute panics galore, APU 😛

This song harks back to my days as a door to door salesman and evokes relationships today that are ever more like selling a product than bringing out the human qualities in partners.

Hope you rock along with

PLAY LOUD

Top Bottom