Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Thanks everyone, that really is helpful.

I suppose I could buy an iPad or a new PC, but it makes me a little sad. It's just that I hate buying new electronic chod. They are all future landfill!

Multitrack audio is no problem, I can just use Audacity and a USB mic or my Tascam multitrack thing. I didn't use the Tascam for years as it seemed complicated, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. It's just that my video software (Openshot) is too complicated to run on my existing PC. I have to press the button to export and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, that really is helpful.

I suppose I could buy an iPad or a new PC, but it makes me a little sad. It's just that I hate buying new electronic chod. They are all future landfill!

Multitrack audio is no problem, I can just use Audacity and a USB mic or my Tascam multitrack thing. I didn't use the Tascam for years as it seemed complicated, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. It's just that my video software (Openshot) is too complicated to run on my existing PC. I have to press the button to export and hope for the best.

I tried to run Openshot in my desktop a few years ago. Didnt work at all, though my PC was not that old at the time. I would stay clear of it on Windows. I think it works on Linux from what I hear . I also tried ShotCut - that would run, though a bit unstable.
If your PC is old enough to have movie maker, I would stick to that. It cant do advanced, but it doesnt chrash or lag.

I have been using Linux since the days you had to download it onto about 30 floppies, so woefully out-of-date with Windows.

I suppose I could always find an old copy of Windows though.

I have been using Linux since the days you had to download it onto about 30 floppies, so woefully out-of-date with Windows.

I suppose I could always find an old copy of Windows though.

Oh, I just assumed Windows because... More Common. Anyway, I have not clue what is easy to run in Linux.

Hello everyone.

Can I ask those of you who do multitrack recordings - how do you do it? I have started recording audio only adding the video afterwards but the videos aren't up to much. They always have mistakes because my PC isn't powerful enough to preview them.

Do you all have really good computers, or use some sort of device like an iPad?

I'd be really interested if you wouldn't mind sharing.
I'm only using a Dell laptop.

I use my looper to record my rhythm track while recording on my webcam. I then play back the looper recording and play over it with another webcam recording. I usually do 4 muted strums at the beginning so that it's super easy to sync.

I load it onto Premiere and put all of my videos on a timeline, then I do this:

After they're all sync'ed, I will just delete the parts of the videos that I don't want to show at particular moments, so that only video I want is showing. (When videos are stacked on the timeline only the top video track will show even if there's video tracks underneath).

BTW, I came on here to tell you guys that you all inspire me to a better player.

I went into the office today, which is unusual at the moment, and so I've lost the knack of knowing exactly how long it takes to get from my desk to the bus stop. I used to be a pro at that... Anyway, I missed the bus by about five seconds. I decided to kill the time before the next bus in the local (excellent) book shop, and I saw this on the shelf in the music section. Not sure if someone's trying to tell me something here...

theory_ouch.png

Hi Chris

I use GarageBand on iPad and I take 2 approaches, depending on whether it’s a faster song with an even tempo or a slower song with more variation in tempo. Either way, the thing I would stress more than anything is that timing is critical, and makes the difference between something that sounds really good and something that sounds like a complete dog’s dinner!

Approach 1
For faster, even paced songs, I will usually lay down a rhythm track first. GarageBand does have a good number of preset rhythm tracks and loops you can use, but I love doing my own. Then I’ll work out a bass line and add that. I have a full size USB MIDI controller keyboard that I plug in to the iPad via a USB to iPad converter cable (pm me if you want to know details) and I play all the additional internal GarageBand instrument sounds (there are loads and most are pretty authentic) with this. Strings, piano, synth and other sounds can be added at this point too, or you can wait until after you’ve added your uke and voice track to the song. If you’re playing acoustic uke and singing, you can then plug in your external USB mic and play and sing along with what you’ve already recorded - I use my phone to video this part of the process and then later combine video and audio in iMovie (also on iPad). If you wish to add electric uke, that too can plug into the iPad using another type of converter cable (pm me for details of this too) and you can take advantage of a multitude of amp and effect settings within GarageBand! However, you can’t have a mic and electric uke plugged in at the same time as there’s only one input port, so the tracks for uke and voice would need to be recorded separately.

Approach 2
For slower songs with varied tempos, I’ll usually do the uke/voice part first, then add in GarageBand instrument sounds afterwards. Timing can be much trickier here as there’s no rhythm track to follow. You can, of course, add in rhythm afterwards too, but timing will be critical!

Using GarageBand on iPad is easier than it may seem from what I’ve written here - I’ve considered putting some kind of tutorial vid on YouTube outlining the above processes - is this something anyone would be interested in watching? (That said, there are plenty out there already, though I could of course tailor mine to what I do here on the Seasons). Or even arrange some kind of interactive Zoom session/s - would that be of interest?

Anyway, hope that helps in some way, Chris? :)
Yes Del, I would find that really useful. Your vid for Hold On Tight is a case in point….how do you film that and add reverb to your vocal….I mean, I can do that as a stand alone Garage band track, but not one where I’m videoing myself playing and singing….. just for ref, my set up is iPad Pro, I use Garage Band and I have a little midi interface thingy ( I never know the technical terms 😊) for using an external mic, or plugging in my uke or guitar. I am pretty un-savvy tech wise 😂

At 51 years old, I've recently moved into a 4-story, 4-bedroom, 5-bathroom townhouse here in Mandalay all for myself.
Some think I'm being extravagant. Perhaps some kind of housing mid-life crisis. Well, maybe, but the rent is only 12% of my income, so it's not as crazy as one might think.
Wanna have a look?

Can someone cover It's Raining Men for the current season? I need to hear someone do it. I looked up the lyrics and it turns out that I don't know the song nearly as well as I thought.

At 51 years old, I've recently moved into a 4-story, 4-bedroom, 5-bathroom townhouse here in Mandalay all for myself.
Some think I'm being extravagant. Perhaps some kind of housing mid-life crisis. Well, maybe, but the rent is only 12% of my income, so it's not as crazy as one might think.
Wanna have a look?

Reminds me of my time in Southwest Asia, especially with how sweaty it looks like your shirt got! 😂 Stay safe over there!

Yes Del, I would find that really useful. Your vid for Hold On Tight is a case in point….how do you film that and add reverb to your vocal….I mean, I can do that as a stand alone Garage band track, but not one where I’m videoing myself playing and singing….. just for ref, my set up is iPad Pro, I use Garage Band and I have a little midi interface thingy ( I never know the technical terms 😊) for using an external mic, or plugging in my uke or guitar. I am pretty un-savvy tech wise 😂
I video myself on a separate video recorder while recording on a dedicated audio recorder. You could video yourself on your phone while recording on Garage Band; edit the audio then combine in a video editor.

Does anyone know what has become of Liz?? This seasonista is missing her presence on these boards very much
Me too, Liz is fun, where did she go?

Does anyone know what has become of Liz?? This seasonista is missing her presence on these boards very much
Busy with the impending holiday perhaps? I know that after her recent copyright scare she started posting any covers not in the public domain as private.

I did hear from her via email the other day - we were discussing the upcoming “Weird Al” Yankovic tour. So she is around at least.

Top Bottom