Second Look at Concert Size

donboody

I typically have played tenors exclusively, but my re-entrant tenor broke a string. Not having another, and wanting to order some Uke Logics but having not done so yet, I turned to my old Cordoba UM-1 Protege Concert. My parents got it for me as a gift some 9 years ago shortly after this journey began. I had lately been considering any size but Tenor to be unplayable for me, but the few days I've been forced to spend 1 size down is making me rethink it. Pretty weird!
edit: the uke on the right of my avi is the Cordoba concert

ksiegel

I really AM a Secretary!
UU VIP
When I started with ukes, my now late father-in-law gave me a 1950s Harmony Soprano student uke. I could play it for a bit, but my hands would cramp up due to the small size. Soon, I bought a Kala from MGM, and a Fluke Tenor, then a Cordoba TM20. All very comfortable, and easy to play. I didn't consider anything else.

Then I won an Ohana Vita Uke - soprano neck, concert-ish body. Always available, right next to the computer. And soon, I was comfortable with the soprano neck. After playing a few concerts, I ordered one custom built for me from Bradford Donaldson.

I now have several concert size, and they are my primary instruments. But I have all three standard tuning-sized ukes, and no problems switching between them.

So play that concert! Try a Soprano! Go crazy, just keep playing!

-Kurt​

Teddy

Just picked up a cheaper soprano myself to mess around with and keep at the office. Nut width is generous which helps but it's been fun to play with. Good to mix it up sometimes.

Picky

I typically have played tenors exclusively, but my re-entrant tenor broke a string. Not having another, and wanting to order some Uke Logics but having not done so yet, I turned to my old Cordoba UM-1 Protege Concert. My parents got it for me as a gift some 9 years ago shortly after this journey began. I had lately been considering any size but Tenor to be unplayable for me, but the few days I've been forced to spend 1 size down is making me rethink it. Pretty weird!
edit: the uke on the right of my avi is the Cordoba concert
I'm coming at it from the opposite side, from concert to soprano: My original uke is a (Cordoba) concert, like yours; my second is likewise a concert, but strung low G; and my most recent acquisition is a soprano. There are certain tunes I prefer to play on each, and I enjoy alternating--one day I'll practice on one of my concerts, and the next day I'll practice on my soprano. I feel that going back and forth keeps my fingers and brain nimble.

Enjoy the variety and the workout!

RafterGirl

In my 4 years of playing, I've gone through over a dozen ukuleles. Soprano, long neck soprano, concert, short neck tenor, and tenor. A wide variety of brands, builds, neck, and nut widths. I could play them all, but kept gravitating back to concert as my most comfortable place to be. A few years ago I was lucky enough to "win" a Cocobolo concert in their monthly lottery. It has become my everyday player. It is a 16 inch scale concert, so in between standard concert 15 inch scale, and tenor 17 inch scale. There's so much variety in the ukulele universe. It's fun to try a little of everything from time to time.

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
I really favor the Concert size over all others. My fat stubby arthritic fingers don't like to stretch for spaced out chords on the Tenor fretboard. The Concert scale length is much more comfortable for me. And, I have a number of Concerts that sound really nice. So, I find myself playing Concerts about 90% of the time.