Seeking Classical guitar recommendation

Reaction score
I have a music student whose mother asked me to recommend a classical guitar for her son (11). Budget would be preferred around $300, but I get the feeling maybe she would stretch a bit.

I haven't bought a guitar in a long time.

Any reasonably safe recommendations?

She wants a 3/4 scale nylon string guitar.

Full disclosure I doubt she will even know the difference between something good or not, and I am not sure how much her kids will even play, (he seems more interested in drums, I am teaching them piano and drums, and maybe guitar) but I still want to do the right thing...

As I am writing this I am wondering if I should steer this kid towards bass. He had a hard time playing single notes on piano...
Any recommendations for a good uke bass or 3/4 scale solid or hollow body bass?
Same price range, preferred around $300

I think whatever guitar he gets, if you can check its setup and, if needed, recommend any adjustments (and a shop to get it done at) should help him a lot. I think a well-setup laminate guitar might suit the situation better than even a more expensive one.

Curious about the piano. If he's 11 and have trouble playing single notes (which just needs a press of the key), a guitar seems to be a lot more complicated than playing a single note on a piano.

Yamaha C40. Much less than US$300 and has been in production for a long time, with a good reputation that fits the description in the post.
Thank you. I will check that out!

Yamaha is a brand I trust, I have had good results with several of their keyboards and I own a cheap Yamaha acoustic guitar which is ok for the $

I think whatever guitar he gets, if you can check its setup and, if needed, recommend any adjustments (and a shop to get it done at) should help him a lot. I think a well-setup laminate guitar might suit the situation better than even a more expensive one.

Curious about the piano. If he's 11 and have trouble playing single notes (which just needs a press of the key), a guitar seems to be a lot more complicated than playing a single note on a piano.
Hence why I am going to suggest he maybe try bass first.

Sounds like there's some kind of disability, since most children start piano lessons at age 6 or 7 and have no difficulty operating the machine at that age. As a bass player, I would point out that bass is NOT somehow magically easier than guitar OR piano.

If the student needs a 3/4 size, then there are two common choices:
  1. Yamaha CGS103 which is an all-laminate construction but considered to be a good student guitar
    $140
  2. Cordoba Cadete 3/4 which has a solid cedar top
    $370
I think the Yamaha is the safest option.

If the student can handle a full-size classical guitar, then just get the C40 or the C40 Gigmaker package.

I have more expensive classical guitars but my Yamaha C40 still gets a lot of my practice time. I've had it for more than 10 years.

Last edited:
I own the Cordoba Cadete mentioned by GVlog and it has been an excellent instrument. Yamaha is always a safe bet as well

Note that the Yamaha CS40 is a 7/8 guitar. Its size is between the CGS103 and the C40.

I haven't seen a CS40 at any of the retailers for a long time. I don't know if it's been discontinued.

Top Bottom