Song Help Request Seeking protest songs from 1960s to the present

Bookworm

Reaction score
My brother has a school assignment to find a protest song from the sixties, present day, or any time in between. Since it's a school assignment, it has to have a quotable amount of lines (he doesn't need to use the whole song, just a few lines) that don't have swear words, drug references, etc. Any suggestions?

Where Have All the Flowers Gone by Pete Seeger

We Shall Overcome - Pete Seeger
Ohio - CSNY
Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider
Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology) - Marvin Gaye

Last edited:
The Eve of Destruction, Barry McGuire
Four Dead in Ohio, CSNY

Both still make me tear up a bit.

For What It's Worth: Buffalo Springfield

Good choice, as someone who lived through that period it captured the anger and angst of the period.

Actually, Eve of Destruction isn't really a protest song. It makes a social comment on several topical (contemporary) issues, but doesn't really make a point or offer an alternative. What it is protesting? The general malaise of society? Middle East tension? Racism? Maybe - but it's more a grumble about the way we were than any particular protest.

Last edited:
Well, his brother already finished the assignment seven years ago and maybe graduated college and has a nice job in law enforcement.

My brother has a school assignment to find a protest song from the sixties, present day, or any time in between. Since it's a school assignment, it has to have a quotable amount of lines (he doesn't need to use the whole song, just a few lines) that don't have swear words, drug references, etc. Any suggestions?
I known I'm late, but "Universal Soldier" by Buffy Sainte-Marie.

Song starts at about 1:40.

And here's another Nina Simone:

Last edited:
Wow, we're really digging up old threads! I have to add my two cents, though. One of my favorites has always been Dylan's "The Times They Are a-Changin'."

Top Bottom