Sept 1998 KoAloha Sighting

heyjude

Reaction score
See it here-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160422424241#ht_1196wt_1161
This is an early one with the round sound hole. I sent a question to the seller-
Dear needmorehorsepower,

What month and year is it? You'll find it stamped on the neck
block. Your uke doesn't have the Tusq nut and saddle. Yours are
made of ebony.

- heyjude45638
And here's his reply-

Dear heyjude45638,

sept 98. Sorry about the confusion, I just copy and pasted the info off the website. Thanks

- needmorehorsepower

I hadn't noticed the sound hole when I sent the query but did notice the one piece top. Possibly has a koa neck? If I didn't already have an older pineapple soprano, I'd be on this like a duck on a june bug.:)

Jude

I'm watching this one, too, as I'm thinking about getting my first soprano and hear great things on this site about Koaloha, though I have never gotten to play one (I live in a small town in NY so the Uke selection here is kinda sparse!). I really like the simple pineapple design.....and was thinking about the Kala pineapple soprano, but then I stumbled upon this. My husband got me my first ukulele last year ( a tenor koa Cordoba--it's OK but I'm just not in love with it, though I'm in love with learning the uke in general.....) so I am still figuring out what to upgrade to as i go, but I am feeling the pull of this sweet little uke.... do you think it would be a good next step?

I'm watching this one, too, as I'm thinking about getting my first soprano and hear great things on this site about Koaloha, though I have never gotten to play one (I live in a small town in NY so the Uke selection here is kinda sparse!). I really like the simple pineapple design.....and was thinking about the Kala pineapple soprano, but then I stumbled upon this. My husband got me my first ukulele last year ( a tenor koa Cordoba--it's OK but I'm just not in love with it, though I'm in love with learning the uke in general.....) so I am still figuring out what to upgrade to as i go, but I am feeling the pull of this sweet little uke.... do you think it would be a good next step?

No this is a horrible uke. Do not bother placing a bid on it.;)

Really I want it, so I am just saying that. It is most likely a very nice ukulele as Koaloha has quite a reputation, a good one. I wouldn't be suprised if the final price is closer to $400 the $300. I am suprised no one has bid on it yet.

you're funny! So it sounds like we may be in a bidding war tomorrow.... too bad! I was hoping to get a bargain. Although, maybe there are 30 other folks lurking out there waiting til tomorrow to place those last minute bids, too. If I had a ton of $$ I'd probably drive to Rochester and buy this one: (no idea how it plays but it looks like a work of art.....)
http://bernunzio.com/products/1014879

Thanks for the input about the Koaloha : )

There might be a bidding war but might not be with me. I might put in a low bid and hope for the best. Since you are new, to the uke and UU, and I know you want it I may not bid so you can snag a deal. Besides I have a nice uke that I love to play. Be sure to let us know if you do get it.

I am going to keep my eye on it though.

That's awfully nice of you..... I will definitely bid.....hope it doesn't go too high and I have to drop out.
I'm "kristenwisten" on ebay..... looks like someone did put in a bid on it this afternoon, so we'll see.......I'll try my best.
Here's what I look like when I think about winning (though I'm trying not to get my hopes up)..... :love:

you're funny! So it sounds like we may be in a bidding war tomorrow.... too bad! I was hoping to get a bargain. Although, maybe there are 30 other folks lurking out there waiting til tomorrow to place those last minute bids, too. If I had a ton of $$ I'd probably drive to Rochester and buy this one: (no idea how it plays but it looks like a work of art.....)
http://bernunzio.com/products/1014879

Thanks for the input about the Koaloha : )

Good luck on your bid. Hope you get the KoAloha but if you don't, you might want to drive up to Rochester and to Bernunzio's. The Kiwayas they carry are very nice, also some others you might like.
Don't know if you're anywhere near Canandaigua but Daryl at Rossi's Music told me yesterday that he is going to start to carry Kamaka, KoAloha, G-String etc. Don't know how soon this will happen.

Last edited:
I did! Can't wait to get in hand :D
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement--what a nice group you all are.

I did! Can't wait to get in hand :D
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement--what a nice group you all are.

Congrats on the win. It was real hard not bidding on that thing, you got a great deal. If you ever think about selling it let me know.

Stick around the forum, a lot of cool helpful people here.

Congrats on buying a GREAT ukulele! You couldn't have made a better choice! ENJOY

Also, I nominate dnewton2 as coolest UU member of the year! What a classy move to let a new player get that uke.....much respect.

Also, I nominate dnewton2 as coolest UU member of the year! What a classy move to let a new player get that uke.....much respect.

Wow man thanks! I had been watching that listing for 10 days (it was a 10 day listing). But in the end if someone gets excited about getting a uke and playing the ukulele I am cool with giving them that opportunity. Besides I am sure there will be another uke that I find myself wanting.

Enjoy the uke kyngren!

Thank you so much for your restraint! I would have had to drop out if it went much higher....
and, yes, if I find it is not the pineapple uke love connection I am hoping it will be, I will definitely let you have dibs on it.

Just wanted to let you all know the uke arrived on Saturday to my relief--it is really pretty--in beautiful shape as far as the wood.
The Schaller friction tuners were hard to get used to and seemed to be really hard to turn even when I loosened the screws, but they seem to be working better now that I bravely took them apart and put a drop of oil on the threads of the screw as recommended on ehow and some other site. Also swapped the really old, dead sounding strings out for some nice Worth CLs that arrived today from Hawaii--thanks MGM! So now all is well with this cute little Koaloha and I am one happy camper with my pretty little pineapple!!

Thanks so much dnewton2 for letting me get this one!! I do love playing her.

kristen

Kristen, glad you got it! Next....pictures must be posted in this thread!

From one Kristn to another, congrats!

You might want to warn your husband that you're probably going to give him far less attention in the next couple of months thanks to the good folks at KoAloha ;).

Top Bottom