SEVERE UAS OUTBREAK AT NOR-CAL SCHOOL

bbkobabe

Reaction score
A Northern California elementary school is suffering from a severe and widespread UAS infection... Students are ask to quarantine at least until they are taught to tune their instruments properly. Mass ukulele playing classes will resume in a week or two.UAS.JPEG

A Northern California elementary school is suffering from a severe and widespread UAS infection... Students are ask to quarantine at least until they are taught to tune their instruments properly. Mass ukulele playing classes will resume in a week or two.View attachment 143663
Unfortunately, it takes new strings a minimum of two weeks to settle at pitch. but only if they are tuned at least once a day. Sorry.

Perhaps, assign the task to a 2 or 3-student team?

Last edited:
Did they put it in an employee’s car after work and drop them off?

kudos to Kala and you!

Ahhh... no, actually...

I offered to stop by and pick them up, since I live about 15 miles away from the factory... No Dice...

They were shipped here from the East Coast. Go figure!

Unfortunately, it takes new strings a minimum of two weeks to settle at pitch. but only if they are tuned at least once a day. Sorry.

Bummer! I think the Aquila Nylguts they are equipped with settle in fairly quickly... The Music teacher and I are going to bang on each one for a while after school and thrash them into submission.

It's a true nightmare to hear 25 out-of-tune ukuleles all playing at the same time... we aim to avoid this! :oops:

those strings have been on for a little while already tho'

So excited for your students. And glad to hear that Kala is helping make this possible for the school.

Actually... any school is eligible to get these discounts. This was not a special deal. If you know a school that is interested, contact Kala and get access to the /Education section of their website. A tax ID number is required to shop there... You can't sneak in... and the selection is fairly limited.

I hear they also donate many ukuleles to various groups, but I was not been able to make that happen. I tried a couple of times, but the application window is small and it's hard to qualify unless it is a non-profit group making the request. Worth a try though...

those strings have been on for a little while already tho'

True... but they are loosened up and left fairly slack... for better storage and shipping I believe.

They do appear to be fresh stock though... the boxes are a recent design with these clear windows in them. I haven't seen that box before.

I'm just so excited about this! I am really looking forward to hearing more about your students' progress through the year with these. We've been homeschooling, so the whole concept of watching growth happen, no matter the speed or intensity, is a big deal to me. It's a special kind of feeling having that opportunity to observe and reflect upon that growth. Lots of warm fuzzies!

I'm just so excited about this! I am really looking forward to hearing more about your students' progress through the year with these. We've been homeschooling, so the whole concept of watching growth happen, no matter the speed or intensity, is a big deal to me. It's a special kind of feeling having that opportunity to observe and reflect upon that growth. Lots of warm fuzzies!

Thanks! I just decided to start doing this on my own a few (pre-covid) years ago because my students were getting sick of playing recorders all the time. I asked all the parents to get their kids ukuleles for Christmas gifts (and bought a bunch of cheap-ies from eBay for those families who couldn't afford that) to get started. I've done this twice now with two different classes of mine.

Then we got a real music teacher... and I gave him one as well. That got the ball rolling... now it's an official part of our music program. Were are starting out with teaching the Fourth grade, and if we can we'll add a class per year.

And it all started when I got a Kala Yellow Shark four years ago as a Pledge Drive gift from our local Public Radio station and taught myself to play!

Sorry... If I keep this up I may have to move this thread to Shameless Self Promotion...

It's nice to see other people doing this as I've had a similar idea. Maybe in 2-3 years when I'm more competent I'd like to work with my school system, public library, and/or kids section of the local hospital. I know there's a recent thread about some red tape involved with a hospital setting, but I guess that's bound to happen to some degree in any situation.

It's nice to see other people doing this as I've had a similar idea. Maybe in 2-3 years when I'm more competent I'd like to work with my school system, public library, and/or kids section of the local hospital. I know there's a recent thread about some red tape involved with a hospital setting, but I guess that's bound to happen to some degree in any situation.

I'm sure the students in the first group I taught wished I had waited until I was competent... But we plunged forward anyway!

I got my first uke in early November and started teaching in mid-January. It was good in a way because they got to see me wrestling with a new instrument (played bass before that) ...and have the occasional "train-wreck" right before their eyes.

I hear Senior centers and assisted living centers are easier to get into... Lessons at libraries happen in some places, and schools sometimes have after school enrichment programs where a credential isn't required.

Be bold and fearless! Get pretty good and then get out there and do it...

Thanks! I just decided to start doing this on my own a few (pre-covid) years ago because my students were getting sick of playing recorders all the time. I asked all the parents to get their kids ukuleles for Christmas gifts (and bought a bunch of cheap-ies from eBay for those families who couldn't afford that) to get started. I've done this twice now with two different classes of mine.

Then we got a real music teacher... and I gave him one as well. That got the ball rolling... now it's an official part of our music program. Were are starting out with teaching the Fourth grade, and if we can we'll add a class per year.

And it all started when I got a Kala Yellow Shark four years ago as a Pledge Drive gift from our local Public Radio station and taught myself to play! I was taking a refresher course at the time and read an inspiring essay at https://sunnypapers.com/paper-samples/who-am-i/ which I shared with my students. Since then, I have been trying to be an example for others and try to improve myself every day.

Sorry... If I keep this up I may have to move this thread to Shameless Self Promotion...
This can't be Shameless Self Promotion because you are doing really good things. Thank you and good luck. I hope you can record a short video for us about the progress of your students ;)

Last edited:
This can't be Shameless Self Promotion because you are doing really good things. Thank you and good luck. I hope you can record a short video for us about the progress of your students ;)
Thanks... here is the funny part: Two new students added to this class so we will be ordering 2 more to add to this pile soon.

Super Spreader event!

We had our first class Thursday with the fourth graders... What a box of squirrels they are!

I brought my fairly accomplished class 7 with me, and we did the lesson together. G-C-E-A, and then the C chord. I marched my class out at the end while singing "Goodbye Joe, we gotta go, me-o-my-o", at those 10 year olds were totally in awe!

Here we go... another generation of strumers are on their way...

Top Bottom