Shipping a Uke - is it worth the cost?

UkeOkay

Reaction score
I just got estimates for shipping a tenor ukulele off the websites for the big three shippers. I'm wondering if there is a less expensive way. I've used shipbikes.com in the past, but they no longer provide the discount (UPS, I think it was) service.

These were the estimates.
FedEx: $58.27
USPS: $70.35
UPS: $60.87

If you are paid via PayPal I think you are able to purchase and print a shipping label at discounted prices through PayPal.

These are actually within expectations for me. I have shipped sopranos and concerts for anywhere from about $30 (on the low end of most) to around $60. The question then is, if not $58, what would be okay to not ask and to just do it? ...$45? Is $13 really a deal breaker?

These are actually within expectations for me. I have shipped sopranos and concerts for anywhere from about $30 (on the low end of most) to around $60. The question then is, if not $58, what would be okay to not ask and to just do it? ...$45? Is $13 really a deal breaker?
It is somewhat dependent on the price of the ukulele, and who’s paying the cost.

This sounds about right to me. Shipping is not cheap.

I shipped a uke from MN to WA state for $17.34 via PayPal in August. I was quite surprised when I saw those rates via PayPal. It seemed too good to be true but I shipped it with no hitches.

I have 3 uke cases I'd like to sell but it's too cost prohibitive to have to ship them anywhere even at the lowest of rates. I guess I'll have to try the Craigslist route. It would be nice re-home them before I'm tempted to fill them with new ukes!

Shipping is based upon the cubic size of the package (L x W x H), plus the weight, plus the distance from point of origin to delivery.
I've gotten different answers about fragile vs. not fragile affecting the cost.
Add to that any additional insurance that's needed.

Don't you have to be a seller with a linked bank account or a PP credit/debit card and use PP invoice to get offered the shipping?

I use PirateShip regularly and they are great and offer good discounts. Only with UPS and USPS though, not FedEx.

Don't you have to be a seller with a linked bank account or a PP credit/debit card and use PP invoice to get offered the shipping?
Seeing as there isn’t much information available, I think this is the case. PirateShip looks like a good option.

I do the shipping indicias all of the time for Ukesa ukuleles. Shipping is high but it is the insurance that puts it over the top. Shipping with a case and $1000 insurance can easily put a tenor at $107+ for shipping. I started using shipstation.com and that has been saving some money on shipping, but still, adding the insurance can really make the price jump. By the way, I use shipstation through paypal, which has a special arrangement with shipstation for reduced shipping fees. If you have a paypal account, you should be able to access it and not need to set up a separate account. Not sure if this is only for business accounts but check it out. Shipstation I have been able to get that $107 down to about $75, insured, now through shipstation.

Last edited:
A couple months ago when I was cutting down my bass uke collection from 31 to 8, the shipping was so expensive that after shipping a couple, I changed the listing to local pickup only, which being in Los Angeles worked out fine, they were gone in a little over over a week.

I used to use ShipBike, but the last time I paid the amount listed, then a month later I got hit with an additional 50% that FedEx added. The same thing happened when I used one of the other third party shipping middleman, can't remember which. So now I'm only doing local pickup.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 3 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I just got estimates for shipping a tenor ukulele off the websites for the big three shippers. I'm wondering if there is a less expensive way. I've used shipbikes.com in the past, but they no longer provide the discount (UPS, I think it was) service.
I've used PirateShip(dot)com a half-dozen times. Rates offered are for USPS and UPS. Sign up as a customer (no credit cards required to 'enroll). It's very very easy to use their processes to get rates by entering the parcel's Length, Width, Height, a weight, and zip codes (from and to).

When I'm selling a uke where the "shipping is included" I can build the cost of shipping in by creating a range of shipping possibilities. For example. HMS uke boxes are generally 26x13x6 when including a hard case and usually under 10 pounds. So I have created my own estimates for 3-4 zip codes on the west coast, east coast, and southern US, selecting big cities. That gets me close enough.

Using Pirate Ship I've noticed the labels "round up" to 8 pounds or 10 pounds with nearly no effect on the price. ( I.e. I weigh a package to be 7 pounds, 4 oz. and the price is the same for an 8 pound parcel). FWIW, that's NOT what happens at UPS or USPS! They get to the ounce.

Anyhow, when I've compared Pirate with those carriers calculators, the Ship comes in at a range of 40%-60% lower. I've never had a package rejected or uncharged by either carrier (I drop them off in person and have them verify the weight and get a receipt.)

Finally, I used the PayPal once and was quite satisfied, but that was before they started issuing 1099 forms for sales over $600. Now I just use them for invoicing.

I don't plan on doing it anymore. It just cost to much, eats up the profits on a used ukulele.

Top Bottom