Simple 2 track video recording/editing software

Mo So

Reaction score
I am a beginner, taking video lessons. I want to be able to record myself playing uke and then do a separate recording of me singing as, at this point, I can do one or the other reasonably well but not both. I'd like to record both in a video format and edit them together, synced. I have a Logitech camera (C922) and a good microphone (Audiotechnica AT2020USB). What simple software will get me there (PC based, please)?

It seems like you have managed to pose a question where few people have experience.

If you were to ask for audio recording, you would get a lot of responses. Any DAW would do that. Audacity is free, not really a DAW, but fine for recording audio if you dont do fancy stuff. I like Reaper, which is an affordable DAW with a lot of capabilitis and a long free trial.

And to edit together the two videos, any "multitrack" video editor would work. ShotCut is free, but not super stable. The Reaper DAW can actually edit video, but is not super easy to use - it mostly makes sense if you record your audio there and add video as a side thing. I believe that Power Director is a popular video with multiple tracks. I dont know if that or any other editors allows for recording in the app. Otherwise, with your gear you would want an app on your PC that records video and allows for external mic. I read online that the Windows 10 camera app has some issues on that point, but you can test it.

You want to record video directly into and editor while watching playback of the first track, right?
I never heard of any PC software for that. But I think that is what some people do with a iPhone app called Acapella or something like that. I dont know if it comes for PC.

There are many ways to do it.

I've recorded myself with the Windows 10 camera app with a USB mic or my amp via USB line out. Then I would sync my videos in Premiere Pro.

I've also recorded myself with the W10 camera app, while recording my uke with a BOSS looper. Record myself again with a different instrument playing along with the looper and then syncing them in Premiere Pro. *Note, only the BOSS RC-500 has an xlr mic input afaik.

I've also recorded each instrument individually to a multitrack recorder (zoom R20...I can play along with my previous tracks while creating new ones) while recording my video through the Windows 10 camera app. I then sync all of them in Premiere Pro. This is probably my favorite way to do it, if I'm being honest. It makes my process much easier since I'm recording multiple ukes, bass and a synth.

The common theme is that I'm using my PC camera app and a Premiere Pro. The Zoom R20 can edit the music as well. Let's say I'm a hair late coming in with my bass. I can cut it and move it to match my drums and the uke exactly before I even start editing the video in Premiere. You can also do that in Premiere, but it's nice to have options.

Thanks for the answers! Will look at Premier Pro. I have also gotten a recommendation for VSDC editor and Adobe Premier. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for an editor - doesn't have to be free, but I would like easier to use.

There is an app called audacity, which is a pretty simple audio recording app. Does not do video that I know of.
I've been experimenting with Reaper for recording tracks and adding video.
I'm just starting, I don't think I'd call it a simple app, but it's very good, and the price seems reasonable.

I used Audacity to record the multi-track for this video, then I shot all the video miming to the audio track (recording sound outdoors is a whole different skill set!).

Video editing used the standard Mac iMovie app, whatever Windows has should work just as well.

Audio editing is quite easy once you have lined up the tracks - using a USB interface for an external mic, or even the internal mic, tends to build a short delay into the recording. Getting it right is just trial and error - always copy a track before editing, so if you screw up you've still got the original.

More mentions of Audacity since I checked in last!

Prof Chris' video is quite a showcase of what can be done in Audacity! For convenience I believe that editing anything other than sound levels/cropping, it is really nice to have a "real" DAW for music recording. That keeps the original recording and applies filters to it om the fly. That way you dont have to worry so much about saving backups before changes. But since most of my attempts to do anything but adjusting sound level and cropping have not been encouraging, that makes Audacity a pretty good place to start.

For the OP though, I think ukudancers advice is best suited. I have seen his stuff in the Seasons of the Ukulele, and he knows what he is doing!
And that is excatly about recording video and audio at once, so syncing is not needed, as OP requested.

If you end up syncing videos to the audio anyway, It as convenient that Reaper also edits video. That way you can sync the video to the exact track it corresponds to while muting the others, because the video is synced within the DAW.

Here is an example I made with Reaper:

Here is a link to the video that taught me how to do it: How to do self-duets

If you're on a budget, you can do it with Adobe Premier Elements. I used it for years and have done as many as 6 camera feeds and edited them into a cohesive flow: fades between video tracks, split screens, etc. You can also mute and blend audio tracks separate from the video tracks. Of course, the full Adobe Premier is much better if you don't mind paying for an Adobe subscription, albeit I switched to Final Cut Pro and much prefer it over Premier.

Top Bottom