Singing Sessions

Down Up Dick

I often have a singing and/or whistling 5 day session at the end of the month. It’s about the only time I strum my ukes. I sing in C, D, or F, and, because I have an old man’s memory, I mostly use lyric sheets. I like to sing old folk music, old pop and some gospel. I also sing and whistle enough to drive my poor wife to distraction at other times, but without the ukes. On my daily walks, I whistle. I guess people might think me a little strange, but that’s what I do.

I am a good whistler, and I have a huge repertoire of tunes to whistle. I really wish I could play any of my instruments as well as I whistle.

Anyone else do anything similar?

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

I knew an old man who usta sit and sing old hymns, in German, and cry his eyes out most nights after dinner. Now that’s music enjoyment!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Right there with ya' Dick. I like to sing and whistle. Sometimes, when things are going just right, my whistling can sound pretty good. Usually, its very mediocre. I have a decent voice for singing. Every time I go to a different church, I get asked about joining the choir. What I'd like to develop is a talking type singing voice, where I could get through the lyrics with expression, but without worrying about trying to be a "good" vocalist. Willie Nelson is an example of what I mean. He has such wonderful warmth, character, and feeling in his voice, that no one cares that he's half talking, half singing. That style seems so relaxed and uncomplicated. I really like it.

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

Well, I always go for the melody, and then improvise as much as I dare. I like to have fun with my singing. For example, singing fun old folk songs, or maybe gospel tunes rather than hymns.

When I was in high school, I sang in different choirs and also in Glee Clubs. I really enjoyed singing then, but people don’t seem to do stuff like that any more. Barber Shop Quartets usta be big then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

I haven’t been singing the past few days. My throat has been sore, I guess, from all the darned rain we’ve been having. Anyway, I decided to work on my chording instead. I’ve been pretty clumsy with it, but I’m improving. Bb is a trial!

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

Well, my singing session is over ‘til the end of the month. Maybe I’ll find a little free time to squeeze in a song or two.

Rllink

During summer our neighbors would have a bon fire every week and we would always end up singing songs around the fire. I started playing ukulele to accompany us when we sang. I have always considered myself a singer first. I'm not much of a whistler though.

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

I whistle almost constantly. I have a huge repertoire much to my wife’s chagrin. I wish I could play any of my instruments as well as I whistle. My singing is sometime okay, but always fun.

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

I haven’t been doin’ much singing lately except mebbe on my daily walks. I’ve been busy with my new Classicalele, and some other, non-musical stuff. Never enough time . . .

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

I used to whistle a lot (including whistling on the in-breath), but my pucker is all out of practice, because I mostly hum or sing instead now, and when I walk the dog I'm too engrossed in reading. I usually wake up with a tune in my head, accompanying the tail end of a dream, and there's hardly a quiet moment in the day when some tune isn't cycling in my brain. Earworms happen to most people occasionally, but do you all have this same gift or affliction of constant background music in your head?
Hey, it’s good to hear from you again. You seem to be much different. — nicer and less pedantic. In a word (2) more relaxed. I‘m
sorry for whatever troubles that were my fault. I hope we’ll get along better now.

I also whistle all the time, as my poor wife will testify. Music just pops into my head, and I join in. I love to sing too, mostly folk tunes and gospel songs. Unfortunately, for most of my musical life I played wind instruments. One cannot sing while playing a tuba or a flute. So now I’m having to learn the words if I wanna sing, and it’s pretty difficult with an old, broken memory. However that doesn’t usually stop me.

How can you read on your walks? There’s so much to see!

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

I haven’t read a really good book for quite a while. After college (English major) I was pretty burned out on reading and writing, so I just quit reading for a while. Then I became interested in Louis L’Amour, and I’ve read most of his stuff. I was always an avid reader until I left college. Now I’m bogged down with music and old age.

Do you play any instruments other than ukes? I‘ve played many in my time, and that’s probably why I’m not very good at any of them. I’ve had a lot of trouble with piano and strings. It’s the chords. I should have stayed with the winds — ahhh, well . . .

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

Well, I can’t really say that I’m bored. I’m just old and unable to do all the things that I usta do so well. I don’t have the energy for doing those things either. I do seem to have lots of time to complain and whine though (Ha,).

I took all my harps (harmonicas) out of storage, tried ‘em out, and fell back in love with ‘em. I was playing them regularly, but, again, I’ve sluffed off. I’ve gotta get back to ‘em. I have three or four of them that I retuned to minor keys. I really like the sound of them, but I dunno what tunes to play on them. I play made up ones on them mostly by ear. I have lotsa music though. Maybe I’ll find some minor pieces.

I sang in choirs too, and really enjoyed it. In high school I had a lotta fun singing in boys glee club.

My main instruments now are all kinda strings, the harps and my collection of flutes when (and if) I can get my lip back to usefulness.

Well, that’s enough for now. It’s nice talkin’ to the new you.

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. In fact I did try it a while back, but I didn’t get very far with it. Now, I’m trying to think of all the sad songs I know. Since I like folk music, mebbe I’ll try listening to that. I‘m interested in Klesmer music too. Maybe I also oughta try some of that. I have 3 or 4 CDs of it. Man, you have inspired me. Thanks.

OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

Well now it’s October, and I‘m gonna start tryin’ ta learn ta sing with my ukes again. My chording/strumming seems to have improved some. I’m making mistakes and losing my place a lot, but who don’t.

I‘ve been playing my 8 string which still sounds good, but today I’m playin’ my Gold Tone tenor banjolele. I’ve been having a good, ol’ time wid my music since I sent that darned Classical Guitar to the Punishment Room. I hope I can stick wid the singin’ this time.

bbkobabe

Well now it’s October, and I‘m gonna start tryin’ ta learn ta sing with my ukes again.

Try that song Always look on the bright side of life written by Eric Idle (from the Monte Python movie life of Brian).

It's not too challenging and it has a whistling part as well...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Down Up Dick

Down Up Dick

I’ll look it up, but I have lots of music to sing or whistle in my keys. I’ve been playin’ for 76 years!

mikelz777

Try that song Always look at the bright side of life written by Eric Idle (from the Monte Python movie life of Brian).

It's not too challenging and it has a whistling part as well...
I can't seem to do the whistling part in the key that I sing for the life of me! I have to sing the whistling part to make that song work for me.

Mike $

I used to sing at work, describing what I was going to do to the tune of Camptown Races or Shave and a Haircut. Before lunch I would sing "Mike is going to get some food Doo Dah, Doo Dah....etc. Or sometimes I would sing to the tune of Shave and a Haircut, "Mike's going to go to...The Can". The only whistling I would do is the song the nurse whistled in Kill Bill or the theme to Psycho.

bbkobabe

I’ll look it up, but I have lots of music to sing or whistle in my keys. I’ve been playin’ for 76 years!

This is a good song to have in your back pocket for people who are getting on in life... like we are... because it is the go to ukulele song for funerals... which seem to come up more and more often it seems!

bbkobabe

I can't seem to do the whistling part in the key that I sing for the life of me! I have to sing the whistling part to make that song work for me.

If I don't "wet my whistle"- and also practice it first before playing it, that happens to me too.

SO: A beer and a quick run through first... See if that helps!