Singing Sessions

Down Up Dick

I often have a singing and/or whistling 5 day session at the end of the month. It’s about the only time I strum my ukes. I sing in C, D, or F, and, because I have an old man’s memory, I mostly use lyric sheets. I like to sing old folk music, old pop and some gospel. I also sing and whistle enough to drive my poor wife to distraction at other times, but without the ukes. On my daily walks, I whistle. I guess people might think me a little strange, but that’s what I do.

I am a good whistler, and I have a huge repertoire of tunes to whistle. I really wish I could play any of my instruments as well as I whistle.

Anyone else do anything similar?

Down Up Dick

I knew an old man who usta sit and sing old hymns, in German, and cry his eyes out most nights after dinner. Now that’s music enjoyment!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Right there with ya' Dick. I like to sing and whistle. Sometimes, when things are going just right, my whistling can sound pretty good. Usually, its very mediocre. I have a decent voice for singing. Every time I go to a different church, I get asked about joining the choir. What I'd like to develop is a talking type singing voice, where I could get through the lyrics with expression, but without worrying about trying to be a "good" vocalist. Willie Nelson is an example of what I mean. He has such wonderful warmth, character, and feeling in his voice, that no one cares that he's half talking, half singing. That style seems so relaxed and uncomplicated. I really like it.

Down Up Dick

Well, I always go for the melody, and then improvise as much as I dare. I like to have fun with my singing. For example, singing fun old folk songs, or maybe gospel tunes rather than hymns.

When I was in high school, I sang in different choirs and also in Glee Clubs. I really enjoyed singing then, but people don’t seem to do stuff like that any more. Barber Shop Quartets usta be big then.

Last edited:

Down Up Dick

I haven’t been singing the past few days. My throat has been sore, I guess, from all the darned rain we’ve been having. Anyway, I decided to work on my chording instead. I’ve been pretty clumsy with it, but I’m improving. Bb is a trial!

Down Up Dick

Well, my singing session is over ‘til the end of the month. Maybe I’ll find a little free time to squeeze in a song or two.

Rllink

During summer our neighbors would have a bon fire every week and we would always end up singing songs around the fire. I started playing ukulele to accompany us when we sang. I have always considered myself a singer first. I'm not much of a whistler though.

Down Up Dick

I whistle almost constantly. I have a huge repertoire much to my wife’s chagrin. I wish I could play any of my instruments as well as I whistle. My singing is sometime okay, but always fun.