Six Seasons of the Ukulele Contest starting Feb 5 2012

chrimess

Reaction score
To all,
New Year, New Contest!

This is to announce a contest that is hitting this forum in two weeks- so get the Superbowl out of the way, submit your videos for Ukeeku's Acoustic Challenge and get on your way! Here are the details:

• The contest is called “Six seasons of the Ukulele”
• There will be 6 weekly challenges, judged weekly by the charming Wolfybau, Mim and myself and some guest judges in writing and through YouTube (in the style of IDOL)
• Prizes awarded will be
o The Winner will be able to call themselves “Seasonist(a) of the Ukulele”
o Winner: Luna High Tide tenor with pickup- made of highly figured laminate Ovangkol (~African Rosewood)- this was my first uke that I have since sold but for the occasion acquired a brand new one(this contest is NOT sponsored by the company). Here is what one of the premier uke retailers has to say about it:

"Are you looking for:
* a great sounding tenor ukulele
* that is very easy to play
* with a good pickup system for playing live or recording
Well this is the Luna High Tide Tenor…. and Seriously! this has GOT to be one of the best tenor ukes to come out in the last few years. If you want to find a nice sounding tenor with a good pickup system, in this price range, this the one !
The Luna HTT has a great “voice”. A bit scooped in the mids with bright highs and warmth below. It has an awesome strumming sound and would make a great instrument for any singer, songwriter. The active EQ on their preamp lets you dial in just the right tone for stage or recording. On top of that- It looks great! ~ a sweet balance between the traditional look, and the creative design aspects Luna’s are known for. The abalone waves are cool touches that make it unique without being “too much”. It’s a nice contrast to the satin natural look of the Ovangkol wood body, Maple wood binding, and Rosewood fretboard."

o Many surprise runner-up prizes- some handmade stuff, some NAMM swag and anything we need to buy to make this worthwhile to you
o Whoever sticks with us, will get a souvenir prize
• In order to qualify for the overall ranking, you have to submit at least 4 out of 6 challenge entries- the more you enter the better your changes- exact scoring to follow
• How to enroll: send me a PM and you are in or place a post in this thread- in order to stress your sincerity we would like you to make a donation to your favourite charity and tell us about it, this is not mandatory, though.
• The challenges will be related to an event that happens during that particular week, eg “Madonna” for the week of the SuperBowl- don’t worry- it won’t be because 1) I do not want to give it away and 2) it is not 1985
• Challenge themes are announced on the UU thread every Saturday starting Feb 4th 2012 for 6 weeks and open the moment they are announced
• Weekly challenges close on the following Saturday midnight
• All times are Hawaiian- that is US Eastern -5 or German -11
• All video submissions must be single-take, no cuts, in YouTube and introduced with a spoken reference to that challenge
• The judging criteria are musicality, passion, originality and lots of “Je ne sais quoi”(that certain appeal you just cannot put your finger on)- video editing is of NO importance
• Anything that looks or sounds like a Uke is allowed (from sopranino or smaller to UBASS or bigger)
• This is a contest for soloists
• We want to hear you sing, but instrumentals certainly qualify
• No-one is being eliminated except for cheating (multitakes, lipsinking, etc)

Hope this all makes sense, pls give me a shout if you have questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Christian

Sounds like a great contest! Just a quick question: what do you mean by "Whoever sticks with us, will get a souvenir prize"?

wow, quite something Christian. Sounds very intriguing and exciting...um...and very challenging he he. Count me in for sure! :)

Hi there.
Sorry about the confusion-submit entries to at least 4 of the challenges and you are considered a contestant and "you stuck with us".

Sounds like a great contest! Just a quick question: what do you mean by "Whoever sticks with us, will get a souvenir prize"?

Awesome contest, I think the title for it is kinda off though. Uke Idol or something would have been fitting! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!!

I'm in. Making a donation to kiva.org. Micro-finance. Help someone in a poor part of the world get a business going. Don't just help a single person. Help to build a self sustaining free market in a hurting part of the world.

oh but of course I am in with a renewing of my surf rider membership to preserve oceans and beaches for all to enjoy since playing the ukulele and the beach are hand in hand! Can't wait to hear what these separate contests will be!!!!

I'm in and I'll make a donation to the Tarrant County Food Bank.

Looks like fun. Why do I suspect some of these challenges are going to be...challenging! LOL

John

Sounds interesting! Very challenging, but interesting.

I will take the next two weeks to seriously consider entering, haha! :)

• We want to hear you sing

No..... You really don't..... lol

Sounds fun! Count me in most definitely, and I'll be donating to the human right campaign! Looking forward to the fun :0)

@Chrimess - you know I'm in! My organization I'm donating to is the Village of Hope in Ghana, West Africa. I had the opportunity to work at the orphanage a couple years ago and this very Tuesday my husband and I got our plane tickets to go back! In place of a traditional honeymoon we're doing a service project that involves literacy and ukuleles! As I get the program organized I'm sure I'll be posting more info about it. I can't wait!

and as for the contest, I can't wait for that either! I love a reason to sing something a little different! Fun times ahead! Thanks!

Wow. You guys are all amazingly motivated and giving!

So, as an extra reward I had the back of the uke signed by the incredible Jake Shimabukuro tonight.

I'm really looking forward to this contest. I like having a quick deadline, and the idea that it changes every week. I made another loan through kiva.org- this one to Kenya. I thank hoosierhiver for starting the Ukulele Players United to Decrease World Suck Team to help make aware a great NPO.

I'm willing to give it a try. I mostly do single-take videos. Whether I can get one done a week depends a lot on my limited ability to get my family to stay quiet for long enough that I can do a few takes.

This sounds like a lot of fun. Count me in.
I'm donating to the Water Project. They drill wells in Africa and India to provide villages with clean drinking water.

that is awsome Christian!

I am going out for some more supplies today for uke wall hangers as runner up prizes for the contest. Winners can choose to receive them unfinished , varnished wood, or hand painted by me with your custom art suggestion or one of my designs.

here is a sample photo of a basic unfinished hanger, different shapes are available and if prefered by request I can make them all wood with pegs instead of the red hardware style holder. also wood buttons will be supplied to cover the screw holes.

CIMG2634.JPG

here is an example of my artwork on a photo frame. this was before my disability, since my disability my art skill are not what they were, but I can still paint a nice basic design.

CIMG2637.jpg

Beautiful. I wish I could enter this contest.

that is awsome Christian!

I am going out for some more supplies today for uke wall hangers as runner up prizes for the contest. Winners can choose to receive them unfinished , varnished wood, or hand painted by me with your custom art suggestion or one of my designs.

here is a sample photo of a basic unfinished hanger, different shapes are available and if prefered by request I can make them all wood with pegs instead of the red hardware style holder. also wood buttons will be supplied to cover the screw holes.

View attachment 32981

here is an example of my artwork on a photo frame. this was before my disability, since my disability my art skill are not what they were, but I can still paint a nice basic design.

View attachment 32982

Top Bottom