slight change to Uke Crazy polyfoam cases

badhabits

Reaction score
Just got a concert size, presumably new stock, and instead of the velcro hold down strap there is a small foam block inside the top, that presses down when closed to hold the uke in place. It is visible in pics on the kala website. I like it. I don't like stiff velcro (or other sharp stuff) near anything that I would get annoyed if scratched up.

Also, I have heard that other cases are exactly the same. I don't find this true, there are minor differences. For example, Lanikais and other brands that run about $10-12 less, have cheaper hardware- zippers, straps and such. and still have the velcro strap or none at all. Whether that is worth $10-12 is your call.

Last edited:
It's nice to see products improve! These days, it seems every manufacturer is racing to the bottom in actual quality just because of the large online sales where people can't properly judge quality based on just photos.

Recently, my wife bought a meat pounder/tenderizer on Amazon. When it arrived, it was so tiny, like about the size of a credit card or something. I promptly when to Target and bought a proper sized one. That tiny thing looked nice in the photos on Amazon.

I'm not a fan of those cases. I realize part of the reason was the velcro strap. I know someone who was shipped a not so cheap uke in one of those cases, and the strap came loose at the base. The staple/pin holding the strap had come out and put an indentation in the neck during transit. That person was not super happy about the new gouge.

But good to know they're upgrading.

The interior foam makes these types of cases great for Hawaii—protects your instrument like a picnic cooler while in your car trunk. However Uke Crazy quality is terrible and they fall apart quickly. I tossed mine in the trash and replaced it with a Gator poly foam case. Same thermo protection but more plush inside and much more sturdy outside for daily commutes.

Just got a concert size, presumably new stock, and instead of the velcro hold down strap there is a small foam block inside the top, that presses down when closed to hold the uke in place. It is visible in pics on the kala website. I like it.
Went there and saw they discontinued their molded ABS case. Whhhhyyyy? Those were soooo good! Tough as hell, outside material that can't be stained or scratched, AND a shoulder strap? They were perfect.

I have a uke crazy for my tenor. Has flown WPB in India[polis about 6 times. a little beat up, but still holding up good. I like em.

Top Bottom