Slotted Headstocks

BBegall

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have one ukulele with a slotted headstock. It's a Kala baritone, a very nice cedar top ukulele. The headstock on this Kala is quite thick so I guess the slots save weight and they look good.

I change strings often and compared to traditional uke tops the slotted headstock is a pain to work with. I've watched YouTube videos but they haven't helped. This is a bit embarrassing as I'm a life long sailor and pretty good with knots.

Anyone in the same boat who found an easy solution?

Some slotted headstocks are really thick because the manufacturer used big tuners that won't fit on thinner headstocks. Other manufacturers use thinner slotted headstocks with smaller tuners (eg Gotoh Stealth).

Regarding changing strings on a slotted headstock, here is an old tutorial from the Ukulele Underground website: https://ukuleleunderground.com/courses/ukulele-info-diy/how-to-restring-your-ukulele

The Stealth tuner is definitely the way to go for tenor size ukulele. The slotted headstocks that mimic those of classic guitars always look somehow disproportionate, but may be ok for something like 8 string baritone size.

I have one ukulele with a slotted headstock. It's a Kala baritone, a very nice cedar top ukulele. The headstock on this Kala is quite thick so I guess the slots save weight and they look good.

I change strings often and compared to traditional uke tops the slotted headstock is a pain to work with. I've watched YouTube videos but they haven't helped. This is a bit embarrassing as I'm a life long sailor and pretty good with knots.

Anyone in the same boat who found an easy solution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nrCvmcY9oA

that's the video I used for this situation. There are no knots involved and it seemed easier than regular headstocks to me.

I bought a very lightly used Kala solid acacia tenor from Guitar Center (a bargain was had from a Guitar Center! Will wonders never cease!). Looking at changing the strings, which I have never done on a uke before. I have seen youtube videos that have opposing info on which direction the wound strings should go. On this Kala, the through hole in the tuner is out on the outer edge of the headstock slot, so I am assuming that the string should be wound so that the strings go toward the center of the headstock for all 4 strings?

The videos I have seen that call for other strategies have involved tuners with through holes in the middle or staggered.

Last edited:
The first wrap is around the "wrong" side and the rest as normal.

Attachments

• SAM_0418.JPG
    SAM_0418.JPG
    696.2 KB · Views: 20
I am one of those who don’t tie any knots with slotted headstock. What I do is I string thru and pull the end of the string back out pointing towards the bridge. It’s usually about 4 inches or so looped back out. With my right hand I grab the end bit and the string that is still loose and keep them taut as I tighten the peg up with my left hand till they loop around 1 round. By then if I let go of the end It usually doesn’t slip. I do this for my classical guitars as well. It’s unorthodox but so far haven’t had any string slip. I find this the easiest and fastest way for me.

that's the video I used for this situation. There are no knots involved and it seemed easier than regular headstocks to me.

That's my favorite video for Slotted Headstocks as well. No knots involved. Pretty much the same as a tuner peg on a paddle headstock laying on it's side. The only caveat being you want two to wind one direction towards the center of the head, and the other two to wind away from the center.

Maybe a little more fiddly getting your fingers in to thread the holes.

Again, the issue with the Kala I have is that the holes in the tuner peg are on the far edge of the tuner peg. If you tried to thread the string through the hole and wind toward the tuning peg side, instead of toward the center of the headstock, you'd get maybe two winds in before you'd actually hit the wood. I get the idea that the string should end up as straight as it can coming out of the nut and on to the tuners.

I hope this embed works - from the Southern Ukulele site: https://www.southernukulelestore.co...3008a8f9b8be0fd2e11d3732ebda89/k/a/kasat4.jpg

I've noticed that tuning is a bit more difficult with the slotted headstock. I think the posts are typically a larger diameter than on standard pegs. Tuning the strings wrapped around that fatter post is a bit touchier. This is just an impression I've gotten from using both types of headstocks. I haven't actually done any measurements or tests.

Top Bottom