Slow learning newbie

steveholt

Reaction score
Just a small hello from a slow learning newbie who has lurked without registering for about 6 months, who has been learning to play from a zero musical knowledge/aptitude position for about a year now.

I am very glad I took the jump to try and learn to play in my early/mid 30s.

Thanks for being such a welcoming and open community, online and in real life.

Welcome aboard. :)

I didn't start until I was retired. I decided to learn to play an instrument in my retirement, & it took me about a year, with the help & support of the people here to get to a reasonable standard. You might like to keep an eye on the Seasons threads, great bunch of people. ;)

Welcome aboard, Steve! I joined UU not too long ago and I must say that it was the wisest decision ..you'll have loads of fun and learn fast. Look forward to listen to your SOTU contributions whenever you decide to do so.
Heino

I was fifty eight when I got my first uke, so you have all
the time in the world! Hope you enjoy this fabulous little
instrument and the journey of discovery!

Just a small hello from a slow learning newbie who has lurked without registering for about 6 months, who has been learning to play from a zero musical knowledge/aptitude position for about a year now.

I am very glad I took the jump to try and learn to play in my early/mid 30s.

Thanks for being such a welcoming and open community, online and in real life.

You could be describing me there. Well, me about a year ago, anyway. Welcome.

Welcome Steve! That was me too - mid 30's absolutely zero musical experience. A nice group of people here. Welcome aboard

Like everyone else has said, "welcome aboard".

'Slow learning', whatever that is for you, is just fine - think in terms of progress over years. Playing any musical instrument reasonably well doesn't come easy for, I think, nearly everyone; and all of those that stick at it and manage to progress eventually plateau at some point dependant on their natural abilities, application and (ongoing) time spent practicing. That's my experience from playing different types of instruments and playing with others in groups (sometimes to the public) for many years.

I don't play any instrument particularly well and feel it unlikely that I ever will but, more importantly, I do get a lot of pleasure from what I can manage to do - I am currently progressing on the Uke and regard that as bonus. If you want to advance then three basic areas are fundamental to progress: keeping your playing enjoyable for you, frequent practice (little and often using suitable enough material) and having a Uke that both fits you and your hand and is correctly set-up. No mater what the sales person says a Uke that's good for you doesn't need to cost much at all, it's the fit and set-up that counts most. By way of illustration of that (value) point this video may help: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRDmnVA-w0

Good luck with your Ukulele journey, enjoy.

Last edited:
welcome to the UU Family! :)

if you haven't discovered the Ukulele Boot Camp (FREE) materials,
please feel free to click on the link in my signature :)

keep uke'in',

Thanks so much everyone.

All of your replies hit the spot in subtle different ways.

I will hopefully take all of your respective advice onboard as time goes by.

I, all going well, have all the time in the world :)

Thank you all for your parts in making this online community into a tangible and welcoming resource. I'm sure for everyone who posts there are a dozen lurkers who may feel the same as I do right now.

Top Bottom