Snow Globes

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I saw someone on YouTube making snow globes, so I thought I'd give it a try. Naturally, I included ukuleles. The laser cut wooden ukes - Vita, Magic Fluke, and generic - were rather expensive. I sprayed them with clear spray to prevent the water from ruining them. Time will tell. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find tiny hula figures. Almost all little figures revolve around winter and Christmas.

A big problem was the "snow." Again, this is not cheap, but the four or five kinds I bought all float. I soaked them in water for five days, and then I used the stuff that sank. Unfortunately, I used too much snow. I'll know better the next time. It was the same with the glitter, only worse. Aside from using too much, it floats worse than the snow.

If you do this, use distilled water with a spoonful or two of glycerin to thicken the water a bit. There's lots of info online and on YouTube. I spent at least $75 on these two, but I have some leftover supplies. I wish they had better little things available to put inside the globes. I think I'm going to try cutting out ukes from plastic so the water won't ruin them.

You'll notice that the water seems to have a tint to it. That's a glitch in the photography. It's actually totally clear.

05.jpg01.jpg

07.jpg

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 5
Love them!

I saw someone on YouTube making snow globes, so I thought I'd give it a try. Naturally, I included ukuleles. The laser cut wooden ukes - Vita, Magic Fluke, and generic - were rather expensive. I sprayed them with clear spray to prevent the water from ruining them. Time will tell. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find tiny hula figures. Almost all little figures revolve around winter and Christmas.

A big problem was the "snow." Again, this is not cheap, but the four or five kinds I bought all float. I soaked them in water for five days, and then I used the stuff that sank. Unfortunately, I used too much snow. I'll know better the next time. It was the same with the glitter, only worse. Aside from using too much, it floats worse than the snow.

If you do this, use distilled water with a spoonful or two of glycerin to thicken the water a bit. There's lots of info online and on YouTube. I spent at least $75 on these two, but I have some leftover supplies. I wish they had better little things available to put inside the globes. I think I'm going to try cutting out ukes from plastic so the water won't ruin them.

You'll notice that the water seems to have a tint to it. That's a glitch in the photography. It's actually totally clear.

View attachment 147197View attachment 147198

View attachment 147199
I love them! Great crafting. You could try polymer clay for the tiny ukulele. I’m fairly certain the water won’t damage it, as it’s essentially a form of plastic.

How cool!

3d printed figures might work well. I suspect there's a maker space near you with a printer.

--Rob

Ooh, those are cool! I'd love to try this.

A lego scene in a snow globe would be cool. I'm sure it's been done. Is there a lego ukulele part? (And again, 3D printable if not, though rather small)

(Is it obvious that I just got a new printer? 😇 )

Is there a lego ukulele part?
Kind of?
s-l400.jpg

A lego scene in a snow globe would be cool. I'm sure it's been done. Is there a lego ukulele part? (And again, 3D printable if not, though rather small)

As much as I'd like to have a 3-D printer, I couldn't justify the cost based on making figures for snow globes. :(

I'm just getting into 3d printing and had the same thought you did -- PLA would survive just fine in water. Thingiverse has a lego ukulele model and a bunch of others that could be scaled down.

As much as I'd like to have a 3-D printer, I couldn't justify the cost based on making figures for snow globes.
Yeah...you'd have to find other uses to justify it although they are less than $200 nowadays. I've printed pickup covers, nuts, saddles, bridges, tuner knobs etc. for cigar box instruments. My current printing obsession is making shakers (like the commercial "egg" shakers) using the heads of a couple well known political figures. Your globes look fantastic and that was a brilliant idea.

Yeah...you'd have to find other uses to justify it although they are less than $200 nowadays. I've printed pickup covers, nuts, saddles, bridges, tuner knobs etc. for cigar box instruments. My current printing obsession is making shakers (like the commercial "egg" shakers) using the heads of a couple well known political figures. Your globes look fantastic and that was a brilliant idea.
The one I want costs around $1,000. People on YouTube make things with it. I'm not going to get a printer, but if I did, I'd want it to be useful. From what I've seen online, people make little things that they sell.

Maybe this will help you justify one Jerry. NPR had a story about designing a violin to be made on a 3-D printer for kids in schools who can't afford to rent or buy an instrument. After spending several years on the design and materials to use they developed a violin that sounds quite good. The biggest stumbling block was to develop a pattern on the inside of the instrument that mimicked the porosity of wood and it's affect on the sound as the body vibrates and resonates.

My reaction was, "Hmmmmm, ukuleles?"

As much as I'd like to have a 3-D printer, I couldn't justify the cost based on making figures for snow globes
Check out your local libraries and makerspaces if you want to try it out without buying your own.

Most of what I print are utility things for around the house and shop - hooks, clamps, connectors, containers, etc. It's great for things that I want more customized than I can readily buy. Of course, I've also printed a few toys and trinkets, and I will eventually get around to printing a uke just because I can ;)

NPR had a story about designing a violin to be made on a 3-D printer for kids in schools who can't afford to rent or buy an instrument.
Thanks for the pointer! I assume you're talking about Science Friday from a few weeks ago. Very fun segment

Top Bottom