SO I Want to make A CHRISTMAS album

aehalt

I'm looking for helpful tips with making my first compilation. Here are some things I hope to do with this XMAS album. I would like to have 4-6 songs, I don't sing but a friend of mine may be inclined to get on a few tracks...but Mostly want it to be instrumental. I can't really take the time to learn solo instrumentation but was thinking that I could record the chords then lay the melody over it.

For reference here's something I did a few weeks ago with a local band:

https://soundcloud.com/letsruntrack/be-king

Couple points of discussion:

Should I add drums(very familiar with adding percussion and have a large library of options)? Does the uke favor a specific type of drum character? Should I just go all natural with the songs, using chunks as my percussion, especially for an xmas song?

What's the best accompaniment for a ukulele if I had any option(I have a DAW with access to a ton of real and synthetics) as my attempts thus far seem like it's so high end that it needs somethings special

Should i try to find, say, a Nat Cole or Bing Crosby acapella and lay it over the tracks? Frank Sinatra? Actually this isnt' a question, if I find them I may just use them

and lastly, i'm thinking the songs would be the Christmas song(chestnuts roasting), Carol of the Bells, White christmas, Charlie Brown/vince guaraldi, and a couple others I have not decided. Any suggestions on uke friendly versions?

THANKS GUYS! :drool: HERE COME THE HOLIDAYS :eek:

Last edited:

Jim Hanks

At the risk of SSP, I have made a few tracks with uke backing and posted to Soundcloud (you can find my other threads if interested) but nothing yet with a vocal. I would not recommend trying to put a famous vocal on top. It's very unlikely you'll get the timing right.

You can certainly multitrack in a DAW.

As far as accompaniment - drums or otherwise - there really is no answer to that other than personal preference. Just go with what you like and where a particular track takes you.

As far as arrangements, I don't have any specific suggestions but most of these songs have tons of "easy guitar" or "easy piano" arrangements whose chords would fit uke quite well.

Good luck!

aehalt

I guess you're right. I gotta use drums on little drummer boy tho. That actually might be a blast to make. I'll make sure to post the results, still in the planning stages but I need to go ahead and get started. Appreciate the thought and write up

jcarlos

aehalt, I have a question about drumming. I've been learning how to overlay/mix instruments recently and Ive been wanting to add drums(specifally a couple of djembes, one bassy one and one higher pitch), but Im not sure what role they should play on certain songs since I am used to having a uke or guitar play the main rhythm. What role should the drums take in those kinds of situations?

Slipperystar

Hi!

I found some light percussive instruments are good, like bongo and such. I try to find very simple rhythmic loops, because I want the rhythm I create from my own playing not to sound too cluttered.

Here's a Xmas song I worked out last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj6IWFxK2fo

I just started working on Rudolph this morning, sounds good!

How you present your CD is really a matter of choice, but I think you should mix it up. If you're going to be doing most of your songs with multiple tracks I think you ought to do one that's just you and your uke. Having multiple tracks on some songs can be more of a distraction than anything else.

A lot depends on what you're playing and how you're playing it, I guess...

Oh! If you're still looking for songs though, this might help...

aehalt

I don't really have the answer for how to use the drums with the uke really. But I would imagine for basics you would put the lower pitch in the 1 and 3 and the higher pitched drum at the 2 and 4. That would simulate the kick snare kick snare pattern oh so common in rock progressions.

aehalt

Boom. I started too late last year. Going for it this time!