Sold: 2022 Hive Hornet

mnb128

Reaction score
Uke is sold. Thank you to all that stopped in to take a look and to those that took the time to comment.

I'm sadly selling my new Hive Hornet tenor. It has an Adi Spruce top with Black and White Ebony back and sides. It's not the extreme style of black and white ebony you see sometimes, with super blonde and black contrasts and crazy figuring. It's a more subtle chocolate/caramel and black marbled look that I find really elegant. There are some additional upgrades, such as the flamed maple neck, radiused fretboard, and fretboard position markers. Everything else is the standard Hive model. (Waverly tuners, side sound port, etc.)

It's essentially brand new and in mint condition. I got on Jake's build list on April 1, 2019. Since then, COVID happened, which resulted in a layoff for me, and a few difficult years financially. However, I couldn't bring myself to break off the agreement I made to Jake on the build. So, after over 3 years, I finally took possession of it in June of this year.

It's truly lovely, both to look at and to listen to. I promised myself that I'd give myself at least 3 months to enjoy it before doing what I knew was inevitably the responsible thing. Turns out, I kept it for nearly 6 as it's been really difficult to come to terms with letting it go.

Not trying to spin a sob story here. I'm not destitute by any means, but I do want you to know that I'm not selling it because I want to. I would love to keep it and play it daily. Sometimes life just doesn't work out the way you want.

It comes with the Armitage Gold case that Jake includes with his ukes and is an absolute tank of a case.

One more thing, it may sound weird, but the ukulele smells absolutely amazing. :)

Summary:

Top: Adirondack Spruce (Red Spruce)
Back/Sides: Black & White Ebony (Sometimes called Pale Moon Ebony)
Neck: Flame Maple
Fretboard: Radiused w/ Markers
Tuners: Nickle Waverly
Side Sound Port
Ebony bridge, fretboard, binding, and faceplate
Case: Ameritage Gold Series

I'd like to get $ for it. PayPal friends and family, or you cover fees, I'll cover ground shipping within the continental US.

Thanks for looking, and feel free to reach out with questions!

20220912_162042639_iOS.jpg20220912_162042599_iOS.jpg20220912_162042721_iOS.jpg20220912_162042775_iOS.jpg20220912_162042919_iOS.jpgIMG_1813.jpg

Last edited:
You cannot go wrong with a Hive and what a great opportunity to skip a looooong wait for one!

Neither my playing, nor my recording equipment are stellar, but you can find a few quick sound clips at the link below. Not sure that they capture the true essence of the instrument, but it's the best I've got.

Happy listening!

Great playing

Neither my playing, nor my recording equipment are stellar, but you can find a few quick sound clips at the link below. Not sure that they capture the true essence of the instrument, but it's the best I've got.

Happy listening!

Sounds great me!

Beautiful uke, beautiful sound. Sorry that you have to sell it. Even sorrier that I can’t afford to buy it. That Hive is going to make somebody very, very happy.

Sorry to hear you have to sell your Hive. They are wonderful instruments. I'm glad you at least got to spend 6 months with it.

I love the flamed maple neck on it. Just gorgeous.

Thank you all so much for the compliments, although anything having to do with the beauty of the instrument obviously belongs solely to Jake Maclay. As many of you have noted, it truly is a work of art.

Just a little pre-Christmas bump. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or just plain happy Friday to everybody!

Top Bottom