SOLD Vintage C.F. Martin Tenor Ukulele circa early 1960's

meppmb

Beautiful C.F. Martin tenor built in Nazareth PA. Sound hole stamp does not include 'Made in USA'. Mahogany body, rosewood bridge and fretboard, tortoise binding, 14 frets to the body, strung with Martin's, great sustain and tone. No cracks or separations, a few scratches and some crazing in the lower bout. Kept cased and humidified. Not playing it much so thinning the herd. $1250.00 plus shipping.
Having trouble uploading photos but managed with help from many here on UU to get some posted. I'm happy to email more photos to anyone interested.
Thanks for looking!
Price drop $1100.00 plus shipping.

Attachments

• A74134D2-D54B-405F-B987-592C5039849A.jpeg
    A74134D2-D54B-405F-B987-592C5039849A.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 98
  • C84EA156-BDAA-4FA0-A5E2-8415B19FC49F.jpeg
    C84EA156-BDAA-4FA0-A5E2-8415B19FC49F.jpeg
    909 KB · Views: 94
  • BD2A0867-AEE3-4BF2-933A-35AD11893D01.jpeg
    BD2A0867-AEE3-4BF2-933A-35AD11893D01.jpeg
    816.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 35FE96C2-2CD3-4D58-8A28-D6C1EDFF6A4C.jpeg
    35FE96C2-2CD3-4D58-8A28-D6C1EDFF6A4C.jpeg
    966.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 3E2729D6-0197-4CD0-BB70-11D8274F89FF.jpeg
    3E2729D6-0197-4CD0-BB70-11D8274F89FF.jpeg
    941.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

donboody

Beautiful C.F. Martin tenor built in Nazareth PA. Sound hole stamp does not include 'Made in USA'. Mahogany body, rosewood bridge and fretboard, tortoise binding, rare 14 fret to the body, strung with Martin's, great sustain and tone. No cracks or separations, a few scratches and some crazing in the lower bout. Kept cased and humidified. Not playing it much so thinning the herd. $1250.00 plus shipping.
Having trouble uploading photos, says my files are too big and I'm not sure how to fix that. I'm happy to email photos to anyone interested.
Thanks for looking!
I can’t buy it, but I am interested in the story, and somebody is going to ask anyhow, do you have any information on why the lack of made on USA stamp?
I sometimes have success uploading photos by taking a screenshot of the photo. Tricks it somehow sometimes.

meppmb

My understanding is that stamp dates it to prior 1960. If that's in error I would appreciate someone letting me know.
I'm not tech savvy about using screenshots. How do I do that?

Gordon777

I can’t buy it, but I am interested in the story, and somebody is going to ask anyhow, do you have any information on why the lack of made on USA stamp?
I sometimes have success uploading photos by taking a screenshot of the photo. Tricks it somehow sometimes.
Martin tenors from the 1960s generally do not have the "made in USA" stamp, and have 14 frets from nut to body, so nothing unusual.

donboody

Martin tenors from the 1960s generally do not have the "made in USA" stamp, and have 14 frets from nut to body, so nothing unusual.
Thanks, I’m glad I asked! That’s a fun fact.

TerryM

UU VIP
UU VIP
If you have the photos on your phone, attaching them to a text message and sending to yourself will automatically downsize them. You would then need to tap on the photos and download them back onto your phone. They'll land in a Files or Photos folder from which you can upload to your ad. Sounds harder than it is, and is easier than some apps used for downsizing. Pics of what you're selling are pretty important.

meppmb

If you have the photos on your phone, attaching them to a text message and sending to yourself will automatically downsize them. You would then need to tap on the photos and download them back onto your phone. They'll land in a Files or Photos folder from which you can upload to your ad. Sounds harder than it is, and is easier than some apps used for downsizing. Pics of what you're selling are pretty important.
The photos are on my computer. Is there a resizing option on this website? I've sold on here before and not had any issues uploading photos.

Jag-Stang

UU VIP
UU VIP
Ok time to step in and clear the air about the made in USA stamp first Martin did change stamps sometime in 1960. However the great misconception comes from batch building and finishing. I own a baritone without the made in USA stamp a family instrument purchased in 1960
So early for a Baritone but why no Made in USA. My theory is the building process takes time and steps so construction would mean stamping the backs or braces prior to completing the build unlike a neck block stamp which would be stamped after the body was built. So in theory we know Martin changed stamps sometime in 1960 but we do not know exactly what stage instruments were in at that time. Therefore it is clearly possible that instruments had the old stamp that were not completed and then were completed after already being stamped. So my baritone is one of those. The 14 fret to the body tenor was I believe initialially introduced in 1960 but that does not mean the body (which is the same for both necks) did not come from a batch started in 1959 or even 1960 prior to the introduction of the stamp. I know of a few guitars with post 1960 serial numbers and no made in USA stamps which proves this theory. I learned much of this from Fender as they had a changeover when CBS sold Fender back to the employees and the factory had leftover parts and leftover serial number plates guitars made in 1986 had earlier serial numbers. Things made in batches always can have idiosyncratic events like incorrect numbers or unlikely stamps.

TerryM

UU VIP
UU VIP
The photos are on my computer. Is there a resizing option on this website? I've sold on here before and not had any issues uploading photos.
I don't know of any options for sizing on the site. Did you use the insert photo icon to load your pictures? (Sorry for the garbled looking screenshot from my phone below, but shows the icon.)
Screenshot_20220722-153602.png

meppmb

I tried loading the photos by using 'attach files'.
Thank you I'll try that!
OK, tried it and it's saying again, the files are too large.

Last edited:

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
You should be able to open the files using the default photo viewer on your computer and resizing them there. If you're not sure how, just google "how to resize a photo with [app]" and someone will have step-by-step instructions somewhere, whether it's a website or a youtube video.

TerryM

UU VIP
UU VIP
Ok, a couple more things to try.

1. If you have the program/app Paint on a PC or Preview on a Mac, open each picture in the app and find Edit, then Resize/Edit Size in the toolbar (usually at top of screen) and downsize to 30% of original. Save and upload those.

2. Or, you can send a text message to yourself (or anyone) from your computer by following the instructions for your phone carrier in the screenshot below. Works great for typing text messages when you want to use a keyboard. Just not sure you can receive attached image files. If so, they will be auto downsized.

That's all I've got. Hope it helps.
Screenshot_20220722-201830.png

TerryM

UU VIP
UU VIP
You should be able to open the files using the default photo viewer on your computer and resizing them there. If you're not sure how, just google "how to resize a photo with [app]" and someone will have step-by-step instructions somewhere, whether it's a website or a youtube video.
^ Yeah, what he said.

meppmb

Thank you both for your help, I'll try each suggestion.
Do you have any idea why I'm having this problem with photos where I didn't before when I placed an ad?

TerryM

UU VIP
UU VIP
No clue, unless your current files are bigger. I've only been on here a few months, so don't know if the site has changed since your earlier experience. I do know that when I listed a uke, I wound up having to downsize the image files.

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Take new pictures with a lower pixel (MB) resolution. Don't forget to include, in the picture, a piece of paper with your UU login name and the current date.

meppmb

No clue, unless your current files are bigger. I've only been on here a few months, so don't know if the site has changed since your earlier experience. I do know that when I listed a uke, I wound up having to downsize the image files.
Hey I got a few uploaded this morning. Thank you for your help TerryM!

meppmb

Take new pictures with a lower pixel (MB) resolution. Don't forget to include, in the picture, a piece of paper with your UU login name and the current date.
I got some uploaded this morning after much trouble but forgot the paper reference. Is it mandatory?

TerryM

UU VIP
UU VIP
Not mandatory. Has been suggested to make potential buyers feel safer. Good luck with your sale.