Solid Electric ukes?

e10rice

Whats up UU family? So i've come to the conclusion that only way i'll be able to play the uke and sit in the same room as my wife while she watches tv is with a soild electric uke. This way i can plug the head phones in and she cant hear a thing. My birthday is coming up in June so i wanna put together a list of possible ukes to choose from for her or if she doesnt get me one :confused: a list that i can choose from.;) I've been looking just recently and saw a few i really like. But wanted some input from other uke players and anyone who has one? Any info would be great! :shaka:

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
you might still be able to use the excuse "honey, you wont hear a thing since its an electric only ukulele" to get it. but theres a good chance that she will still be able to hear you strumming (depending on how hard you attack the strings) even with an electric.

but yea, for the money, the bugsgear eleukes are pretty damn good. the active dean markley pickup in mine is so versatile. i can set the tone knob to make it sound anywhere from a steel string acoustic/electric guitar, to a straight acoustic/electric ukulele when plugged into an everyday solid state combo amp.

but for more money (about 3-5X more), take a look at the ko'olau line and pete howlett's uklectic line. once you check them out, youll see why i dont need to say more, other than save up.

OP
OP
e10rice

e10rice

you might still be able to use the excuse "honey, you wont hear a thing since its an electric only ukulele" to get it. but theres a good chance that she will still be able to hear you strumming (depending on how hard you attack the strings) even with an electric.

but yea, for the money, the bugsgear eleukes are pretty damn good. the active dean markley pickup in mine is so versatile. i can set the tone knob to make it sound anywhere from a steel string acoustic/electric guitar, to a straight acoustic/electric ukulele when plugged into an everyday solid state combo amp.

but for more money (about 3-5X more), take a look at the ko'olau line and pete howlett's uklectic line. once you check them out, youll see why i dont need to say more, other than save up.

Thanks NukeDOC, the bugsgear was one of the ones i was looking into. I like its looks alot. I'll have to check out the other ones you mentioned.

carpekd

jupiter creek out of austrailia makes some really nice looking electric ukes

GX9901

I don't know about the Ko'olau solid ukes, but he Howlett ones are relatively loud unplugged. It doesn't really pass as a silent uke. The Bugsgear is much more suitable for that purpose.

SailQwest

I got a Bugsgear from MGM in October and I love it!

My husband liked it enough that he decided he wanted one, too, contrary to his "I don't want another ukulele" policy. So he has 2 ukes now (to go with my 5). :p

OP
OP
e10rice

e10rice

Thanks everybody, some good info so far, keep it coming. I checked MGM today and he currently had two eleuke's but not the style i was looking for. I might just email him about it and get his prices.

SailQwest

When I wanted mine, he didn't have any eleukes listed on eBay. But I called and he had exactly what I wanted!